New Skis

skigurl

How much bigger are they?

My PE's this season are 15cm longer than my 1260's from last season, and a LOT heavier.. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to.

I agree with Ski, that's pretty much all you can do..

Unless you have a nice, straight carpeted staircase with a good distance to stop in... :woot

A lot of it is confidence. Short skis will skid more than a longer ski that is tipped up into a carve. Worry about technique, not your ski length, Skigurl. If you carve turns like you did at Tanglwood, then you'll be just fine---and much faster, because the longer ski will carry the energy down the fall line.

The women's Overall World Cup champ Anja Paerson uses a low center of gravity to her advantage, as opposed to just creating good angles.

Focus on technique and the longer skis will be make holding your turns much easier.

A lot of it is confidence. Short skis will skid more than a longer ski that is tipped up into a carve. Worry about technique, not your ski length, Skigurl. If you carve turns like you did at Tanglwood, then you'll be just fine---and much faster, because the longer ski will carry the energy down the fall line.

The women's Overall World Cup champ Anja Paerson uses a low center of gravity to her advantage, as opposed to just creating good angles.

Focus on technique and the longer skis will be make holding your turns much easier.

how about 170cm GS:9's for her?

Yeah, I'd suggested she keep an eye out for used 9.20's in 170, which were all but being given away at the end of last season. I saw them go for $50...I have them in 180's that are my rock skis.

The GS:11 is a smokin' ski. The best and fastest ski I've ever been on. In a short--for me--171, it doesn't break away from an icy arc at full speed down a diamond. I have yet to max out the ski.

So a softer flexing, more forgiving GS:9, or the all-balls-out GS:11?

Excellent question for her to think about.

Yeah, I'd suggested she keep an eye out for used 9.20's in 170, which were all but being given away at the end of last season. I saw them go for $50...I have them in 180's that are my rock skis.

The GS:11 is a smokin' ski. The best and fastest ski I've ever been on. In a short--for me--171, it doesn't break away from an icy arc at full speed down a diamond. I have yet to max out the ski.

So a softer flexing, more forgiving GS:9, or the all-balls-out GS:11?

Excellent question for her to think about.

i'm offering to sell her mine :D

Ski999:

If short skis skid more easily, are longer skis easier on ice? Which are better for racing on icy terrain?

The most important thing for ice is to have a good tune, no matter the ski length. Just like you see racers "detune" their edges a bit if a slalom or GS course turns out a little softer. The sharp edge engages too much and feels 'hooky', creating too much turn. For ice, it's sharp edges and a soft touch.

The general rule is hard touch on soft snow and a light touch on ice.

And that's what makes your question a little complicated. A skier needs to be fast on and off their edges on icy terrain, yet the more edge that is in contact with the slope, the better the grip.

Western Masters racers seem to ski 10cm longer than Eastern racers. And they can't imagine how often we have to sharpen our edges.

So longer? I really don't think so. I think you buy a ski for a specific discipline and the climate you mostly ski, then adjust tuning and stance for ice.

I am going to guess the length doesn't really effect how things hold on ice. It is going to be how stiff the ski is, and not really the length.

One guy I talked to said that how a ski holds on ice has to do with how stiff it is from right to left (insted of up and down). And that is one of the things that is different from race stock skis and regular skis.

I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I thought I would throw it out there to see what you guys think.

PS

I was mostly referring to Skigurl's extremely short skis and how the longer minimums will really be a good thing for her.

Skimom, if you skied a pair of 130's on an icy course, you'd skid through every turn; on 220's, you'd have to do jump turns because you couldn't make them skid.

I am going to guess the length doesn't really effect how things hold on ice.  It is going to be how stiff the ski is, and not really the length.

One guy I talked to said that how a  ski holds on ice has to do with how stiff it is from right to left (insted of up and down).  And that is one of the things that is different from race stock skis and regular skis.

I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I thought I would throw it out there to see what you guys think.

Yep, stiffness and the ski dampener certainly factor in for a couple of reasons, including how much it holds down chatter and allows the edge to maintain contact with the snow. I kind of approached her question going with the assumption that 'off the rack' race skis are in the same ballpark when it comes to stiffness.

I'd take issue with that actually. I demo'd those highly rated P6's last December in two different sizes. The longer ones were far more stable. If you are on ice, you need a ski that is not bouncing around, losing edge grip. Therefore, the longer ski would be better on ice.

A properly tuned ski that is the right size for your height, weight, strength, and ability will hold best on ice. A decent racing ski that is well-tuned will not lose grip on an ice-like hardpack, whether it is 156 or 170. It should love that kind of surface.

If you're ski is too short, then you won't be stable; if it's too long, then it'll be hard to be quick on and off your edges.

Skimom, my 160's hold exactly the same as my 180's on the same icy surface. I ski them with subtle differences, such as a lighter touch with the shorter ski, but both are edge beveled at 3 degrees (bases are 1 degree) and kept razor sharp.

This is all just my opinion and what I know from my experience, but I've also never heard of a World Cup racer switching ski lengths to adapt to an icier or slushy course. If a course warms up, they'll just dull their edges a little.

Edited by ski999