Camcorders

Tyler

ok...so you people suggest the mini DV camcorders, i think the 3ccd or whatever are just out of my price range, im looking for good video quality, it doesnt have to be the best and easy to use just to through some quick edits together, good image stabilization and stuff like that...

what do you guys think of this one?

Samsung Sports Camcorder

i like its size, helmet cam, and durable look

I second wezlo in giving this one a huge thumbs down. It was a highly anticipated cam for action sports buffs, but it got some of the most terrible reviews I've seen. Skiers said they could fit like one or two runs on the drive, then what are they supposed to do? Also heard battery life was terrible. Basically a miserable failure for Samsung.

Here is my advice. Almost two years ago I went into a local camera shop and checked out their clearance section. I found a great Panasonic that was like two years old when Mini DV's were relatively new. Long story short, since the camera was two years old, I got a smokin deal on it. It originally retailed for $1200, and I talked them down to $350 on it. I got a mid-level camera with higher end features that I could set my light levels, white balances, exposure, etc... on for super cheap. Also, since I bought it from a shop, they said I could roll back if I had problems, and they would make sure to help me out. There are a few camera stores down down in Philly that have great used or clearance sections, and I think there are a few up in the Lehigh Valley. I dont know where you're from so I cant suggest any. Also, whenever you're rollin past Best Buy or CC just stop in and see what they have in the open box areas. Usually that stuff is in good shape and sometimes you can save like 50 to 100 bills. Check out your local smaller camera and photo only shops.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...=&O=&sku=423633

going for 479 right now, but theres some rebates in there to take it down a bit too. there's plenty of features for you on that thing and the picture quality it top notch for a consumer camera. 25x zoom and full manual adjustments for white balance, focus, zoom, etc. not a bad camera for a little over 400 at all.

i like this one that justo recommended, i also like the little package that it comes with, anyone else have any input on this camera?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey sure lets start this thread up again if your going to buy a HD camcorder i would only but a panasonic or a sony. But im waiting it out a year or 2 for when panasonic comes out with there new HD i still dont think the technology is there yet....you cant even write a HD dvd unless u want so spend out of your ass on a new bluray disc writer...im planing to wait it out a year or 2 beacuse im happy with my dvx100b......ive worked with the sony hd cam i like it a lot its very clear and looks great on the computer but im convinced if u giv it a year theres gonnna b a bigger and badder chip for a HD camcorder.

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this thread because I'm now in the market for one.

It's neat to see all the predictive comments in this thread like which recording formats are just fads and will die out.

My question is:

If I don't intend to record movies to display on an HD TV, and just intend on making movies for sharing on the Internet and/or Youtube....

Will an HD camcorder be a waste?

Or will an HD camcorder provide better image quality because the resolution is high enough?

As of now, I'm looking for a very high quality standard def camcorder for the following (uneducated and perhaps misguided) reasons:

• I want as high of quality shots in low light since a lot of my shots will come from after-work riding. I know this is tough for all camcorders, but some do perform better than others.
  • I want near perfect colors for bluebird days. If I get the same result from a high-priced camcorder as I do from my shitty camera phone, nerd rage inc.

That's pretty much it. It doesn't have to be High-Def.. since the end movie size will be small... but if I get grainy/noisy video that makes the result look like crap I'll be pissed I spent so much.

I'm leaning towards something like:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-Everio-GZ-MG670-Camcorder-Review-36240/Product-Tour.htm

Edited by Brian