Sintered vs. Extruded Bases

NiftySHIFTY

I'm in need of a new snowboard, and different people tell me different things.

I know sintered is a little faster and holds wax better.

Which holds up better on rails? Which is easier to repair? Post everything you know about each one.

Check here

REPAIR2.JPG

Extruded is worthless.

:werd

Sintered is the way to go. It may seem like more money now, but in the long run..it's worth it. My board was only 15$ more for sintered :nana

can u tell what ur base is by lookeing at it or feeling it ?

i guess minen in sintered

If you drag your finger nails across a extruded bases it will leave marks. Not huge gouges, so it won't really harm it (too much), but there will be marks.

Although... if you dig hard enough you can probobly leave marks in a sintered base as well.

To answer the orginal question a bit more throuroughly...

Sintered bases are faster, hold wax better, and are harder, so they take less damage.

The only advantages to extruded bases are price, and ease of repair, as holes in extruded bases are a bit more difficult to repair. A good repair shop won't have a problem with sintered bases though, so this only applies if you do your own repair work. I've yet to put a significant gash in a sintered base (although I know it's possible) and I've run over PLENTY of rocks, sticks and other bad things for the board. My extruded base looks like swiss cheese, and has had at least a dozen P-TEX repairs several of which were holes to the core of the board.

So to summarize, as has been stated by pretty much everyone here, purchase a board/ski with a sintered base.

so you just heat it up and stick it on?

I use a plastic welder, but it's pretty much the same w/ a base repair iron. You melt the material into the gouge, with more than you need. Then you heat it up again, and press it in with a scraper. Then you heat it again, to make sure it will fuse to surrounding material, press again. Then you remove excess material and finish the job.

i rocked an extruded my first board and my second was a sintered each year i ride down my hill in my backyard..its a cornfeild and my extruded looks like a dryrotted tire and my sintered was only red on the bottom from the picnic table

• 2 weeks later...