BC's own freestyle team

Guest jeenyus2690

What exactly would be the point of a team though?

Would there be value in having a coach?

When you have a team (with a coach) practices have a point and can help you to excel in areas you otherwise would not.

A team can also pick up sponsors more easily and find accomodations more easily.

A team is about resources that you would not have by yourself or with a group of friends.

Even in individual sports, there are many ways in which there is strength in numbers.

Snowboarding is an individual activity.

I already acknowledged that in my original post.

A team is about resources that you would not have by yourself or with a group of friends.

Even in individual sports, there are many ways in which there is strength in numbers.

You mean those guys who compete against eachother?

The US Snowboard Team and the US Ski Team have the same dynamics...they train as a team, eat as a team, hang out as a team, travel together, and go through all the things that other team sport players go through...but then they try to beat each other on weekends. Even swimmers and track athletes have relay teams, so skiing/snowboarding is pretty unique. And rarely is a ski racer successful when training as an individual, like Kristina Koznick...although Ivica and Jannica Kostelich have a lot of WC and Olympic gold training as a brother/sister team.

Training as a team is almost always better, even in individual sports.

• 1 month later...

Some of you guys have the wrong idea.

When a mountain or a shop has a "team", they dont go and have practices and argue over whos bringing the orange slices for half time and shit. Its more like how companies sponsor you to be on their "team". They rock stickers on their boards, shirts etc. representing BC. BC uses photos of them in ads. They put on demos. Maybe they also give lessons.

Some of you guys have the wrong idea.

When a mountain or a shop has a "team", they dont go and have practices and argue over whos bringing the orange slices for half time and shit. Its more like how companies sponsor you to be on their "team". They rock stickers on their boards, shirts etc. representing BC. BC uses photos of them in ads. They put on demos. Maybe they also give lessons.

I don't know what the O.P. was meaning when he asked about a team. There are obviously different ways to have "teams". I would not say that people have the wrong idea, they are just different ideas. In reality, when a shop has a team, it is just like you said. This is considered "sponsoring a team". There is a big difference between a shop sponsoring a team and a mountain having a team. You would have to check with the NSAA to find exact statistics, but when most areas have a team, it is a developmental thing. O.K., maybe there are no orange slices, but there are serious practice sessions and coaching.

Shops sponsor teams and as long as a team skier/rider is making them look good, all is well. If a skier/rider no longer makes them look good, adios.

Most ski area teams require that the skier/rider foots the bills (hopefully at some kind of decent rate). They are investing in their own skiing/riding career by being on the team. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but I believe that this is the norm. Personally, I don't know what BC does or is interested in.

Ive skateboarded for 7 years, and just started really getting into snowboarding last year. A lot of things are similar, and some things are different between the two sports and their cultures. Coming from skateboarding, some things in snowboarding seem kooky to me.

Having a team with practices and coaching is one of them.

Most ski area teams require that the skier/rider foots the bills (hopefully at some kind of decent rate). They are investing in their own skiing/riding career by being on the team. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but I believe that this is the norm. Personally, I don't know what BC does or is interested in.

You are correct, one of our PA mountains maybe announcing something along these lines if they can find a director with credentials. BC doesn't have anything yet.

There is an exceptions that is developing. Our whole area is progressively expanding. It depends on the people stepping up to organize.

What exactly would be the point of a team though? I mean its just like going to contests with your friends. You can do that regardless, you don't need a team.

most teams are formed to help support their sponsors. Every manufacturer has a team for example.

it wouldnt work all the good bc kids ride all over the place and do all the contests around the mid atlantic independently

LOL! those are the best team members that BC could possibly have!