More Hiking

sibhusky

Well, we took an 11.7 mile hike yesterday. I've discovered I'm only "good for" about 8.7 of that. The last three miles were a nightmare, but of course at that point it was too late to turn around. I'm recovering today and not planning on walking ANYWHERE for a while.

Highline Trail Hike, 2004, slideshow

Edited by sibhusky

Do I see some potential ski runs in there on the left side of the first images?  Maybe you should bring your skis next time.

I could hardly carry myself for this hike, thank goodness I didn't also have ski boots, skis, and poles!!!! We actually didn't cross any snow on this route.

:clap:o

That is awesome looking...

Glad to see you're telling us where these things are now instead of saying "somewhere in paradise" :)

11.7 is a hell of a hike, lots of respect for that...

wish I could be there and not here where it's nasty outside and won't stop raining

:clap  :o

That is awesome looking...

Glad to see you're telling us where these things are now instead of saying "somewhere in paradise" :)

11.7 is a hell of a hike, lots of respect for that...

wish I could be there and not here where it's nasty outside and won't stop raining

At 52 years old, I am looking for an 8 mile hike for my next gig. Have a friend arriving in 10 days, might try a place called Iceberg Lake. Just need to worry about bears. Although I carry bear spray, I am not in a rush to have to use it. Then another hike cited mountain lions as an issue.....

Geez, I hope I'm in that kind of shape at 52... I'm 25 and don't know if I could do a 12 mile hike through the mountains...

Answer me this... how do you leave a good, stable job and head west to start anew? If I could figure this out, you'd have a new neighbor!

Geez, I hope I'm in that kind of shape at 52... I'm 25 and don't know if I could do a 12 mile hike through the mountains...

Answer me this... how do you leave a good, stable job and head west to start anew? If I could figure this out, you'd have a new neighbor!

You stay in school thru grad school, marry a spouse that makes as much money as you do or more, live far below your means for 28 years, save 10% or more a month, lose most of it in Lucent stock loss, then go for it anyway rather than give up your goals.

Edited by sibhusky

ski999 told me about your loss last winter, that really sucks.

but are you friggen nuts?  those are some steep as mountains to be climbing, its not only an 11 mile hike, its 11 freakin miles straight up the mountain  :o

I can assure you, I didn't hike up 11 miles, I'd be dodging airplanes...

We started at Logan Pass, only gained about 800 to 900 feet, hiked to Granite Park Chalet, then DOWN to something called the Loop, a drop of 3028 feet. That was the section that hurt.

but are you friggen nuts?  those are some steep as mountains to be climbing, its not only an 11 mile hike, its 11 freakin miles straight up the mountain  :o

We started at Logan Pass, only gained about 800 to 900 feet, hiked to Granite Park Chalet, then DOWN to something called the Loop, a drop of 3028 feet. That was the section that hurt.

:P i know ya didn't hike straight up, i was just joking. but it looked like you had to ascend alot to take some of those pics....

:wacko:

:P i know ya didn't hike straight up, i was just joking. but it looked like you had to ascend alot to take some of those pics....

:wacko:

Well, we didn't do a back and forth hike. We drove UP to Logan Pass, having left one car DOWN at a place called the Loop. Nevertheless, there is only so much DOWN you can stand. It's better than UP, but I am still stiff today.

• 2 weeks later...

Took another hike a week ago, but forgot to bring my camera!!!!!!

Saw a grizzly and a black bear, got soaked to the skin by rain, but covered ten miles and got to see Iceberg lake, which still has lots of snow on it. Was so cold, tho, I said, "Great, it's beautiful, let's KEEP MOVING and get back to a nice warm car!!!"

Have another ten miler scheduled for 8/23. MUST REMEMBER TO BRING CAMERA!

Saw a grizzly and a black bear, got soaked to the skin by rain, but covered ten miles and got to see Iceberg lake, which still has lots of snow on it.  Was so cold, tho, I said, "Great, it's beautiful, let's KEEP MOVING and get back to a nice warm car!!!"

Have another ten miler scheduled for 8/23.  MUST REMEMBER TO BRING CAMERA!

omg sib! you saw snow but didn't want to run and jump into it? :o

Saw a grizzly and a black bear, got soaked to the skin by rain, but covered ten miles and got to see Iceberg lake, which still has lots of snow on it.  Was so cold, tho, I said, "Great, it's beautiful, let's KEEP MOVING and get back to a nice warm car!!!"

Have another ten miler scheduled for 8/23.  MUST REMEMBER TO BRING CAMERA!

omg sib! you saw snow but didn't want to run and jump into it? :o

It was on the other side of this large lake which was aquamarine blue due to glacier melt and I was already soaked. So...NO!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Since I was talking to someone else online about this hike, I converted it into slideshow format and uploaded the UNEDITED whole thing, for those who are interested. Go to the first posting if you want to see it, as I put up a URL there to the pictures.