Centered Mounted?

petter369

I am just starting out with freeskiing and have a pair of K2 Fujatives but the bindings are not center mounted. I ski alot of backcountry stuff so the guy told me to get the binding mounted in the back. Is it easier/neccesary to have the binding center mounted? If so, what type of skis would you recommend to me as a beginner?

Thanks

K2's suggested mounting line is usually quite far back from center to begin with, noticably so than other manufacturers, so on K2's it usually doesnt hurt if you go a few cm's toward center. Find out where the suggested line is, and then find out where center is, and measure the distance. I split this measurement on my parks skis last year and had a decent season with them. However, I'll probably go center with my park setup this year, as I have more than one pair of skis.

With this in mind, better advice could be given by the guys and girls on here if you listed your height and how long the skis are. If you're six foot and the Fujatives are like 169cm, then you definitely won't want to go center, because you won't have nearly enough tip, especially for anything out of the park. When mounting center, you can safely ski a setup that is a few centimeters bigger than what you normally would, because you don't have such an imbalance between tip and tail to muscle around.

Another thing related to backcounty is the flex of that ski. The Fujative has a pretty soft flex. This is fine for days where its waist deep and your gettin first tracks, but if stuff is tracked out or crusty at all, then game over. Same goes for when you're trying to put the ski up on edge and blow through crud. A ski like the Public Enemy (to use another K2 twin example) is going to handle those types of conditions better and if you're going with a one ski quiver this year may suit you alot better.

Good luck!

You ski backcountry in Pa? If your riding pow that deep elsewhere, just lean back more...

no i got out west and upstate often. Also i forgot to mention that i am pretty short, so only like 5'4, so junior models that are good would be appreciated.

Edited by petter369

no i got out west and upstate often. Also i forgot to mention that i am pretty short, so only like 5'4, so junior models that are good would be appreciated.

Only back country on pretty much the whole east coast is Tuckermans. Maybe a few things off of Stowe.. and a few others. "BackCountry" is basically unheard of on the east coast. Backcountry is also terrain that is not serviced by lifts, with no avalanche control.

Tre is correct about the weight. Always more important than height.

Edited by KnuckleDragger

can you afford a second pair of skis? if so, keep the fujatives for all mountain and get a second pair, something cheap like the silencer or invader for your park needs. if money's not an issue, keep the fujatives for park and get a real ski for everything else. there are much much better all mountain skis than the fujative.

can you afford a second pair of skis? if so, keep the fujatives for all mountain and get a second pair, something cheap like the silencer or invader for your park needs. if money's not an issue, keep the fujatives for park and get a real ski for everything else. there are much much better all mountain skis than the fujative.

Yes I can afford a reasonably inexpensive second pair of skis for park...so you say silencers or invaders would be good?

Wow there are some good deals at proctorjones...do you get a better deal on that site when you type in newschoolers? They have my 2006 LT 11s for $339 in a 176...that would be a sweet ski maybe a little long for Nastar since I'm on a 170 but it seems boring buying the same pair again...

You do get better deals, but if you were to order those, they proballhy wouldnt give you the discount, because they know what type of gear a ns person would buy.

You ski backcountry in Pa? If your riding pow that deep elsewhere, just lean back more...

Theres bc anywere.

Yes I can afford a reasonably inexpensive second pair of skis for park...so you say silencers or invaders would be good?

both of those skis can be had for under 300 before tax. they ski a little differently, so it depends what you're looking for. the invaders are a little softer and are meant to be center mounted. the silencer is a little stiffer and narrower, and skis like the old PE, therefore a little more stable on big hits due to its stiffness.

You do get better deals, but if you were to order those, they proballhy wouldnt give you the discount, because they know what type of gear a ns person would buy.

Theres bc anywere.

BC anywhere.. But BC you can ride anywhere i think not..

Go for the invaders for park. I just pre-ordered my pair about a week ago...also definatly go big with them. They were designed to be center mounted, I'd probably go for the 171....Line skis seem to measure a couple cm's off than what they say and it will ski alot shorter than a regular mounted ski.

And there is no BC in PA or the east coast for that matter, its just "off-trail" skiing, like some tree runs, hidden runs inbetween and to the side of mapped runs, etc. Backcountry is not lift accessed terrain, you cant just hike or ride a snowmobile to access some BC terrain on the east coast.

Go for the invaders for park. I just pre-ordered my pair about a week ago...also definatly go big with them. They were designed to be center mounted, I'd probably go for the 171....Line skis seem to measure a couple cm's off than what they say and it will ski alot shorter than a regular mounted ski.

And there is no BC in PA or the east coast for that matter, its just "off-trail" skiing, like some tree runs, hidden runs inbetween and to the side of mapped runs, etc. Backcountry is not lift accessed terrain, you cant just hike or ride a snowmobile to access some BC terrain on the east coast.

I was looking into getting the '07 Rossignol Scratch Jr's in 148's with the Scratch 120 bindings. They have a good prive at getboards.com. Any reasons not to get these?

If you are a even a semi strong skier you'll want the 161s. As has been said center mounted skis ride alot shorter than they really are. I'm like 5'7" and my 165s feel like snowblades. I'm bumpin it up to like 176 on all my boards this year. If you're really pushin your skis hard then go for the 161, if you want something a bit easier to manuever, then the 151s will do the trick fairly well.

I was looking into getting the '07 Rossignol Scratch Jr's in 148's with the Scratch 120 bindings. They have a good prive at getboards.com. Any reasons not to get these?

They are too short for park

Actually I might go with the Invaders because they are also decently priced. I am 5'4 105 pounds, So i might go with the 151 because that is there smallest size.

Still too short for center mounted park - 160 at your height and weight if you are center mounting, besides the flex on the 150 cm junior ski can be substantially different than the 160cm.

You don't say how old you are, but if you are still growing. GET 160 cm and center mount.

would my skis be to short if i just center mounted my 141 fujatives? because i know that center mounted skis ski shorter and they are to short already, would this be too short?

what i wanna know is where you got 141 fijatives. last i checked, that ski doesnt exist. but regardless, look for something about 160ish. we have silencers and fujatives in 159 in stock right now. also, you might wanna check out the dynastar troubled youth or rossi scratch pro, which i think both come in a 158? either of those will be the same price as the silencer, but a little more friendly for a smaller guy like yourself. its kind of the inbetween ski for somebody who's too big for a kids ski, but not quite strong or heavy enough for an adult ski. if you can find a good deal on invaders, they're sick skis for sure, but there are other options out there too, especially if you're looking for something that has a little more all mountain capability. as far as bindings go, you dont need a 12 DIN binding. you probably dont need a 10 din binding for that matter, but anything below a 10 wont really stand up to terrain park abuse all too well.

what i wanna know is where you got 141 fijatives. last i checked, that ski doesnt exist. but regardless, look for something about 160ish. we have silencers and fujatives in 159 in stock right now. also, you might wanna check out the dynastar troubled youth or rossi scratch pro, which i think both come in a 158? either of those will be the same price as the silencer, but a little more friendly for a smaller guy like yourself. its kind of the inbetween ski for somebody who's too big for a kids ski, but not quite strong or heavy enough for an adult ski. if you can find a good deal on invaders, they're sick skis for sure, but there are other options out there too, especially if you're looking for something that has a little more all mountain capability. as far as bindings go, you dont need a 12 DIN binding. you probably dont need a 10 din binding for that matter, but anything below a 10 wont really stand up to terrain park abuse all too well.

well I plan on getting 161 (?) i think, invaders for 150$, because i think that buckmans still has them on sale. i just need to convince my parents

Edited by petter369