Camelback Closed

Papasteeze

Not being open for nights is a good idea right now. The limited terrain and coverage would make night skiing a little risky. It also allows the snowmakers and groomers to work. The temps have been very "iffy" and they have been taking advantage of every available minute. Even if it is cold enough at BB or other areas does not mean it is at CB. Believe me, they are chomping at the bit to get as much open as they can.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've just gotten to the point where there is nothing that CB can do that would really surprise me that much. I haven't seen that mountain make one smart move since I started riding there in '98.

wait................... park passes rule!!!!!!!! oh! crap............... park passes to what? loller blades...

Yeah, even though blue is open their snow is far less than impressive. It is snow, however.

Bottom line here is different strokes for different folks. If you can deal with packedmanmadeubergranularchip snow then Blue is your deal. (well, that and if you like the seaside heights atmosphere)

Its like Glenn said- those of us that buy passes at CB do it for our own reasons, not because they've got the best early and late season of any mountain around. They don't. I'll openly admit that. I like CB for my purposes. And everyone else that gets a pass there feels the same way, I'm sure.

Believe me, no one wants CB to be open all the time more than me. I'd explain my reasons but, why waste my time? If CB's intentions where to piss everyone off, you guys would probably think they did that wrong too. CB's layout requires 10 times the amount of snow than any other pocono resort just to open the base area and across the top of the mountain. Coupled with the warm temps (in some cases warmer than Blue, due to temperature inversions), rain and fog, it has been extremely difficult to keep any snow.

My question is, why do you waste your time whining about how terrible CB is and how great everyone else is? Go somewhere else and be positive for a change. The stress alone must be killing you all! I am sure that if you compared statistics, skier visits, accident rate, profits, loses, and so on, you will find that CB might actually have a clue as to what they are doing. No, it does not always please everyone, nor will it ever. I have been ther for 20 years and it gets a little better every year (depending on your point of view).

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated too. However, your verbal (written) attacks are difficult to take seriously when they come off sounding like immature, bratty rants!

Believe me, no one wants CB to be open all the time more than me. I'd explain my reasons but, why waste my time? If CB's intentions where to piss everyone off, you guys would probably think they did that wrong too. CB's layout requires 10 times the amount of snow than any other pocono resort just to open the base area and across the top of the mountain. Coupled with the warm temps (in some cases warmer than Blue, due to temperature inversions), rain and fog, it has been extremely difficult to keep any snow.

My question is, why do you waste your time whining about how terrible CB is and how great everyone else is? Go somewhere else and be positive for a change. The stress alone must be killing you all! I am sure that if you compared statistics, skier visits, accident rate, profits, loses, and so on, you will find that CB might actually have a clue as to what they are doing. No, it does not always please everyone, nor will it ever. I have been ther for 20 years and it gets a little better every year (depending on your point of view).

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated too. However, your verbal (written) attacks are difficult to take seriously when they come off sounding like immature, bratty rants!

:bow:

My question is, why do you waste your time whining about how terrible CB is and how great everyone else is? Go somewhere else and be positive for a change.

You are really wrong. There have been several nights that they could have been blowing snow and the only reason they are not open at night is because of profitibility. I have season passes and we do go elsewhere to ski. THey were wrong for not spreading out the snow they blew 10 days ago and opening up. the conditions might have been bad but it is even worse when there is nothing. does that make sense?

No one yet has explained why a hill 20 miles away is in such great shape and was the first to open in our area, and yet CB has performed like a polar opposite.

What makes things even worse is that they get a lot of press coverage touting how great they are. If there was a categorical statistical comparison using customer satisfaction, I am positive that they would rank at the bottom comparitively to other resorts.

Edited by Papasteeze

ski911 must be applauded. Great post.

And Doug, don't worry about how many days i've been out... I guarantee its more than you think I've been out.

I'll be spending my third day of the year at Blue tomorrow... against my wishes... but you have to use a free pass sometime. I'm hoping its real hard snow.

Don't get me wrong, blue's not a bad option... if its all thats available, or you're not picky, or its close, or other things...

If you think they close the lifts on windy and icy days because they want to save money, your insane. Fact is, every ski area (with a brain) will close once those conditions jeopardize the safe operation of the lifts. I don't mind some of the "bashing" ( when it is deserved) but, get at least some of your facts strat before you make your statements. It just makes you sound idiotic to those who know the industry. As far as the trail choice, CB has a large volume of "beginner" skiers that show up this time of year (not sure why). They wanted to have Margies in, but, it didn't happen. Experts can ski beginner trails, beginners cannot ski experts. As a business, you have to cater to your main clientel. As far as the amount of snow needed, next time your standing below the Meadows triple loading area, take a look around. There is probably more snow in our base area than all of Big Boulder.

Papa, your wrong. The reason they choose to not open for nights is to take advantage of the best snowmaking temps and to avoid the potential for accidents due to the guns, hoses, snowmobiles, and snowmakers required to be on the trails that need snow made on them to stay open. I'd be pissed too if I bought season passes to the place I liked to whine about. Take out a loan, buy the area, and please make it better. Until then....get a clue.

No Doug, believe me, you're right. Why would anyone want to ski at a place where they have their priorities entirely out of whack... hey, but ya know what... at Blue the parking lots are for the most part unpaved, the lodges are both complete and utter shitholes, the food sucks, the snow is of lesser quality than that in a sno-cone, and they're obviously too cheap to pay anyone to pick up any garbage at the resort at all especially under the lifts, but they've got a completely unnecessary six-pack. Good place to ski. :banghead

Actually, I think if Cb was open for night skiing they would make more money. They wouldn't be able to run as many guns, more people would come after work and school then during the day, more sales in the store and cafeteria. Gee, maybe they are just trying to piss everyone off.

And CB will be open with cover and conditions that are far superior to blue's this weekend, and into next week.

tp4... basically what we're saying is... stop giving a shit about CB. You don't ski there, so don't worry about it. If you want to be heard, congratulations. Do you ski in jeans?

Obviously I was at Blue because I wanted to ski a little bit before work one day, and because blue is almost clean at the beginning of the year. I've gotten in 5 days this year, tomorrow will be 6. Not bad for someone who lives in the heart of Jersey. Also, blue is a little bit closer to work than CB. It made sense that day. Doug, I care about quality, not quantity. 50 days a year is good enough for me. Besides, I ski more mountains a year than you do.

TP4- why the hell do you ski at CB? It makes zero sense to me, seeing the way you feel about it.

TP4- why the hell do you ski at CB? It makes zero sense to me, seeing the way you feel about it.

yea i realy dont understand why you still go to camelback if all you have to say about them is how bad they are... :banghead

and if camelback was realy as bad as you make it sound than im sure the experienced snowboarder, skier, ediot, or what ever you are would never return!

But I mean, why are you so upset about it? Camelback has their reasons for doing everything. You've already told us that you think CB is the best mountain in the immediate area. Its like anything else in life- you make sacrifices to get the best quality.

Even if CB's reasons for opening late and whatnot are business oriented, does it really matter? They're smart business people. I'd rather have someone smart at the helm than some braindead moron. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, putting that 6-pack in at Blue was one of the worst business moves I've seen at any resort in the area.

Take everything with a grain of salt, man. I'm sorry I got so wiley in this thread, but I really do think Camelback is run well to a certain point. Would I like to have 2 more weeks added to our typical season? Yes. Do I want shitty snow that's going to damage my skis? No.

EDIT: Doug, I skied at 13 different mountains last year.

Edited by Metz the Jersey boy

People have different home mountains for different reasons. Mostly because of closeness. So CB is poorly run, its still a lot closer for some people and they will get more use out of a pass to a closer mountain. Home is where you live, not how good the mountain is. I wish my home mountain could be Killington, but it makes a lot more sense for me to be a local at the 3 trails of Tussey.

Papa, your wrong. The reason they choose to not open for nights is to take advantage of the best snowmaking temps and to avoid the potential for accidents due to the guns, hoses, snowmobiles, and snowmakers required to be on the trails

what makes them different than any other mountain - yeah that is the same song and dance they give for leaving the lights on all night... THat is bullshit

I'm not sure a "loyal" customer would speak so poorly about their purchase.

Sure we will - I was personaly led to believe that there would be substantial changes with the new ownership. I have been told numerous times by long time loyal locals, to give up, "they will never change"

at Blue the parking lots are for the most part unpaved, the lodges are both complete and utter shitholes, the food sucks, the snow is of lesser quality than that in a sno-cone, and they're obviously too cheap to pay anyone to pick up any garbage at the resort at all especially under the lifts, but they've got a completely unnecessary six-pack. Good place to ski. :banghead

I heard that! Interesting to see 3 people picking up trash under the lift at CB on sunday

Actually, I think if Cb was open for night skiing they would make more money.

You get a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! weekday night skiers are locals with season passes. To pay that extra shift is expensive!

when the mtn is fully open i have a great time riding there, the way the mtn is run sucks but the mtn is fun to ride. i like CB the mtn, but i dont like how its run and managed

WORD!

if camelback was realy as bad as you make it sound than im sure the experienced snowboarder, skier, ediot, or what ever you are would never return!

Strong possibility. I would gladly take a refund for my season pass as it stands right now.

Even the ugly kids mom thinks their kid is the best looking and Camelback is the ugly kid..

hahahaha that actually is true, so true.......