Nirvana

skimom

I thought you might like to see some pics from my recent trip to Nirvana and Schweitzer. The trip to Nirvana (AKA Sibhusky-land) was awesome. Here is a picture of the big mountain at Nirvana:

bigmtn2.jpg

As you can see, there are a lot of runs to keep one occupied.

This pic is the "long view" of sibs house. The red arrow points to approximately where her house is. You can see the short view from her signature.

bigsibshouse.jpg

Sib invited Iceman and I to dinner. She forget to mention how many miles her house was past the end of any paved road - we finally found it, thanks to Sibs willingness to beam us in by cell phones.

Sibs house was as nice, and even larger than it appears in the pics. As a plus, we got to meet huskies of all sizes and colors. All of the dogs were delightful. Mr. Husky proved to have a great sense of humor. And it was fun to hear the siblets perspective on skiing and racing in the East v. West. I learned that Sibhusky is a double fisted beer drinker - I'm still trying to figure how balancing a low carb beer in one hand with a high carb beer in the other leads to weight loss. But she looks great, so who could argue ...

The next day Iceman and I hiked up the mountain in Nirvana accompanied by Sibhusky and Mr. Husky. Both were armed with huge vials of bear repellent. The forecast said rain, but the snow gods were with us, and the rain held off until we finished our hike. Compared with Schweitzer, Nirvana's mountain has more tree runs. Schweitzer had more "bowls" and a cooler NASTAR course (yes, I hiked down both NASTAR's). Both were about the same vertical and had tons of space.

Here's tree skiing. Could it get better than this?

bigtreeskiing.jpg

Iceman, Mr. Husky and Sibhusky hiking along.

bigthreesomenice.jpg

The day before, Iceman and I went to a nearby park and I managed to access a miniglacier. Iceman had no interest in hiking up to it, but was nice enough to take this pic so I have proof. Don't you think I deserve an award for being the first on skiable snow for the season? It was a wonderful feeling - spring conditions.

glaciercflonsmall.jpg

More proof:

glaciercflfirstsnow.jpg

More pics from the beautiful region around Nirvana:

glaciergoatsbest.jpg

glacierhiddenlake.jpg

glacierhiddenlake2.jpg

And finally, doesn't this look welcoming????

glaciershelbyshelly.jpg

Edited by skimom

I was a little ahead at times.  But she had more to carry, so it was all in good fun  :cheers:

congrats on your 200th post :woot

yea, what does she have strapped to her back? lol, looks as if shes going on a hike for a year :lol: and what exactly does this bear repellant do? Will it really stop a 300 lb beast from mowing you down? :naughty and my last question, does it work on skidudes? :nana

congrats on your 200th post  :woot

yea, what does she have strapped to her back? lol, looks as if shes going on a hike for a year  :lol: and what exactly does this bear repellant do?  Will it really stop a 300 lb beast from mowing you down?  :naughty and my last question, does it work on skidudes?  :nana

She uses pepper spray. It would work on anyone, even you.

But, it's not for Skidude. :no We need to keep Skidude in optimal health for the upcoming race season.

Thanks for noticing the 200. :)

congrats on your 200th post  :woot

yea, what does she have strapped to her back? lol, looks as if shes going on a hike for a year  :lol: and what exactly does this bear repellant do?  Will it really stop a 300 lb beast from mowing you down?  :naughty and my last question, does it work on skidudes?  :nana

Let's see...two complete rain outfits for anyone not properly dressed in case of a downpour, a roll of TP and extra bags to "pack it out", pepper spray, knit hat and gloves in case of snow (I just keep this stuff in the pack in case I'm further from home on a hike), digital camera, sweater, Camelbak, Atkins meal bar, matches, space blanket, sunglasses, visor, spare dry sox, can't remember what else. Basically, the backpack is ready for whatever comes up whether I am hiking locally or in Glacier. I am sure I am missing some things that I just haven't learned I need yet.

Pepper spray. Hope I NEVER have to use it. Only good if the bear is almost on you or IS on you. You need to worry about the direction of the wind as well! But two guys have saved their own lives this year using it as the bear was mauling them. Our local mountain IS grizzly territory.

I thought of that. However, we didn't have a refrig in our room.

Sure you did, it was in the armoire the TV was on.

(The benefits of the siblet working at that place are all these little tidbits of information.)

Edited by sibhusky

i'm surprised skidude didn't whore them all for himself. Sib, doesn't it bother you being SO far away from it all? I have a question, when you worked at Agere, where did you live? Allentown? Bethlehem? Quite a change...I'm pretty sure Ski999 say you worked at agere, you're lucky to get out of there, my uncle, and several of my friend's dads were layed off :no

i'm surprised skidude didn't whore them all for himself.  Sib, doesn't it bother you being SO far away from it all?  I have a question, when you worked at Agere, where did you live?  Allentown? Bethlehem? Quite a change...I'm pretty sure Ski999 say you worked at agere, you're lucky to get out of there, my uncle, and several of my friend's dads were layed off  :no

I did work for a while out in Allentown, but back then it was AT&T Microelectronics. We were out on in an industrial park by the airport. I had a great corner office that overlooked the airport runway and if I'd ever had the time to enjoy it, I could have watched the planes taking off and landing all day. I lived in NJ, tho, and as soon as I could blackmail them enough, I demanded to move back to NJ as the commute was too long. Siblet was an infant and it was too far away for a mom to be.

Mr. Husky works out of the house. He's an SAP (complicated system that big corporations use to run their operations) expert. He just rolls out of bed in his PJ's and logs on to the computer.

I needed some money for myself, tho, and am working part time in a store downtown.

Mr. Husky works out of the house.  He's an SAP (complicated system that big corporations use to run their operations) expert.  He just rolls out of bed in his PJ's and logs on to the computer.

I needed some money for myself, tho, and am working part time in a store downtown.

well thats nice, regardless of the weather, he can always work :D . How long is the drive to the mtn?

Good luck though, I may just be at your mountain one day this winter, and I'm not joking....:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You ought to come during the NorAms, Feb 9 to 16. Not only is it thrilling, but gatekeepers get a ticket for the day and one to use within a year. You could essentially ski all week for free by gatekeeping every other day.