OPENING

ski14

I think they'll open Friday...they have some decent snowmaking temperatures Wednesday and Thursday nights...

http://www.weatherhub.com/forecasts/zf_scranton_pa.htm

they should be open this weekend. it would probably be smarter with the weather this year to take the extra day and blow friday, open saturday. we waited weeks, another day won't kill us.

http://makesnow0.tripod.com/wetbulb.html

Even if you minus 3^-5^ for elevation,it doesn't look good.Let's hope that Snomax order came in for them.Last time I talked to Dan they were waiting for it.Like I said somewhere else,with these new SMI gun's(Fan's and especially the Viking's),they need 25 degree's wet bulb or below w/o Snomax, or 27 degree's wet bulb or below with it.Hope for low humidity and cold,but it ain't looking good.

Wednesday and Thursday night on the upper slopes of Sno-tage...you have to factor elevation in..those temperatures are for outside the bowling alley where the dude from Kingpin hustle and bowled.

Yeah, the Mount Pocono reporting station is much closer to Sno's elevation. And even the airport is far below---you can look down from Switch at the runways.

http://makesnow0.tripod.com/wetbulb.html

Even if you minus 3^-5^ for elevation,it doesn't look good.Let's hope that Snomax order came in for them.Last time I talked to Dan they were waiting for it.Like I said somewhere else,with these new SMI gun's(Fan's and especially the Viking's),they need 25 degree's wet bulb or below w/o Snomax, or 27 degree's wet bulb or below with it.Hope for low humidity and cold,but it ain't looking good.

For some reason, I don't think the new fans they got are affected as much by humidity. I've seen BB blowing snow when it was 30/31 degrees out and the humidity wasn't low.

For some reason, I don't think the new fans they got are affected as much by humidity. I've seen BB blowing snow when it was 30/31 degrees out and the humidity wasn't low.

I'll let you in on JF's secret's.Near-freezing river water,which is EXTREMLY dirty,so the sediment in it act's as a Snomax-like nucleator(no Snomax needed there!).Plus,it's in a protected river valley(NE facing) which tend's to get ALOT colder that most surronding area's.We use the thermometer at East Mtn. bottom as our reference point there.FYI Sno Mountain use's the WB airport's temperature as their reference point.Physic's are physic's no matter what gun/gun's you use to make snow.Those good old round-headed Wisper gun's,which most of you I'm sure have seen,are the BEST marginal Snowgun in existence imho/experience.BB's lake water is also near-freezing alot of the time too(in 30^ish weather),but it has less sediment than the river water @ JF(they use Snomax when they have it too).BB's RP temp is the web-cam.Sno Mountain use's a shallow reservoir where the water temp is around 40^-50^ most of the time due to it's depth and location at the bottom of the mountain,then you have all that warm water returning into it.So what's hurt Sno-tage is warm weather,warm water and a shortage in the supply of Snomax,along with tech. problem's/Washo.When your making snow you just have to use your judgement in adjusting gun's etc.,many,many factor's come into play when making snow.An interesting tidbit,the coldest temp I ever saw locally was @ the bottom of east mountain,-35^F

Edited by YummerzZz

Bigdaddyk,I forgot to add,if you look at that wet-bulb chart,you can make fair snow at 32^ and 50% humidity or 31^ at 60% humidity or 30^ at 70% humidity.It is pretty rare to have higher than that humidity at those temps for the most part if someone decided to light up the guns.