Skullcandy Tuneups II / Razr Phone

phillycore

I just purchased a new helmet from the ski bum it's a Giro 9 with skullcandy tuneups 2 and noticed that it doesn't have an adaptor for the motorolla razr phone in it.

I'm wondering if it was supposed to or not? It has an adaptor for the seimans, nokia, and a universal one but nothing for the motorolla razr phones which is what I have.

It kinda defeats 1/2 of the purpose of me buying it if I can't connect it to my phone. Being as the razr is like the number 1 selling phone I can't see them not making an adaptor for it.

If it doesn't come with the helmet can the adaptor be purchased elsewhere... or if not has anyone tried cutting the end off of a car headset adaptor and wire splice it into one of the skullcandy adaptors that isn't being used?? This bites... especially for a $130 helmet

Wait... they are making helmets you can hook cell phones to?

Aren't there enough car accidents based on people talking on their phone while driving? Do we really need people on the slopes making turns and talking into their helmet at the same time?

I guess i just see the mountain as a way to get away from all the gizmos and gadgets. I don't even take an mp3 player with me anymore. Just jam out in the car on the way there. After that all i wanna hear is my board turning, soaring, or sliding.

Well when you're a father of 3 little kids it's a nice thing to have as a just in case thing. I love to get away and go skiing, but I want to make sure I'm still accessible for my family if they need me.

My family ranks just a little higher one the priority list than skiing does if you know what I mean.

Yeah I guess I can see that point of how things have a tendency to get abused in this day and age.

My purpose for buying the helmet was a combination of things...

The speakers in the earpads eliminates the tangling of wires, and makes it more comfortable to wear my glasses as well.

It allows me to more easilly hear my phone ringing if it does in fact ring. It also allows me to connect it to an frs radio if I wanted to keep in contact with friends elsewhere on the mountain (I probably will never use this feature though it was a bonus) The giro 9 is one of the most popular and safe helmets on the market and has a lot more vents in it than my current burton/red skycap in which I cook in unless it's like 20 degrees out.

It also has removeable earpads which my current helmet does not. and not to mention it's black rather than the orange that my current helmet is as well.

oh and I received a $100 gift cert that I wanted to use coupled with the $10 store credit I had there which expires the end of the month made it a whopping $27 after taxes and I couldn't find anything else in the store I'd want or would even need more.

Make a little more sense now?? lol

I know you weren't.... I was just giving you a little insight into my thinking / reasoning

I rarely use my phone on the mountain and when I do it's usually while riding the lift or at lunch (when I actually take a break that is)

I'm with you on the fact that the last thing that we need is a bunch of people who already don't pay enough attention talking on cell phones on the mtn.

fwiw.... my razr came with a wired headset, but since I have a blue tooth I never use it....hence the reason why I'd take the chance and hack it up....lol

I know you weren't.... I was just giving you a little insight into my thinking / reasoning

I rarely use my phone on the mountain and when I do it's usually while riding the lift or at lunch (when I actually take a break that is)

I'm with you on the fact that the last thing that we need is a bunch of people who already don't pay enough attention talking on cell phones on the mtn.

fwiw.... my razr came with a wired headset, but since I have a blue tooth I never use it....hence the reason why I'd take the chance and hack it up....lol

I have the pro-tec version of the tune-up II's and they dont work with my cell phone either (a bluetoooth nokia), I was pissed about this because the non-phone versions (like the original tune-ups) are much less money (like $30 rather than $60 additional to the helmet cost).

I managed to find an adaptor for my phone to a "standard" wired headphone jack but if I connect it it starts voice dialling and all sorts of random crap.

I bought mine because I wil be riding this year while my expectant wife will be due and so I really cant afford not to hear the phone ringing in my pocket. I rarely use the headphones while riding ( I thought I would ) but do use it on the lift if I'm on my own.

I don't think you could actually use it while skiing, the wind noise would be too bad.

I just purchased a new helmet from the ski bum it's a Giro 9 with skullcandy tuneups 2 and noticed that it doesn't have an adaptor for the motorolla razr phone in it.

I'm wondering if it was supposed to or not? It has an adaptor for the seimans, nokia, and a universal one but nothing for the motorolla razr phones which is what I have.

It kinda defeats 1/2 of the purpose of me buying it if I can't connect it to my phone. Being as the razr is like the number 1 selling phone I can't see them not making an adaptor for it.

If it doesn't come with the helmet can the adaptor be purchased elsewhere... or if not has anyone tried cutting the end off of a car headset adaptor and wire splice it into one of the skullcandy adaptors that isn't being used?? This bites... especially for a $130 helmet

Ignoring the fact that proprietary connectors are evil, if you can't find an adapter I don't see why you couldn't hack the wired headset. I would look for a how to online, if you can't find one for specifically for your needs I'm sure you could find a generic one on how to make custom adapters and modify it for your needs. If you need any help feel free to ask.

Wait... they are making helmets you can hook cell phones to?

I guess i just see the mountain as a way to get away from all the gizmos and gadgets. I don't even take an mp3 player with me anymore. Just jam out in the car on the way there. After that all i wanna hear is my board turning, soaring, or sliding.

I hear ya brother!!! I have friends that are always plugged in and I can't understand it. I think half the thrill of skiing or riding is hearing the air rush by, the sound of a killer turn, and the occasional branch whizzing by.