2007/2008 Season Bear Creek Wishlist

Matt

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to this forum and was going to start a new topic but this Bear Creek Wishlist thread seemed appropriate. All in all, we have been very pleased and happy with our Bear Creek experience over the years. So much so, that for these past two years we have purchased season passes for myself and our two children. Many of the suggestions put forth in this forum are interesting and would certainly be nice. As a season pass holder, I really don't feel there is a need for any special perks or privileges. However, I and my family, do have one item on our wish list.

1) Prohibit/ban smoking on the mountain - in particular in the lift lines and on the lifts.

I find smoking, at any time, to be annoying but while skiing and snowboarding I find it EXTREMELY offensive and inappropriate. Even more disturbing is to see the number of kids smoking (cigarettes and even cigars!) out on the deck to the lodge as well as on the lifts and in the lift lines. Where and who are these kids parents? It drives me nuts to have to deal with second hand smoke EVER but it makes me crazy during what should be a healthy, family activity.

You want to ban people from smoking outside? Good luck with that. Youre never around anyone to really have to deal with it anyway, except on the lift. People who smoke on the lift should have the courtesy to ask before they light up.

agreed, that really gets on my nerves if sum1 lights up and doesnt ask its like uhh can u plz kill sumbody else. I have ashtma and it really suxs to ride w. sum1 who smokes cuz that makes the ashtma act up and screws w. me snowboarding. But yea banning smoking on the entire moutain is next to impossible but banning it on and in the lift lines should be banned.

I think that's a little harsh..indoor smoking bans are cool but banning cigs outdoors is really harsh...and the kids parents aren't there...teenage kids are going to experiment with different things and they might try a cig at a ski area..big whoop. People always smoke cigars during golf and cigs when they bowl and golf and bowing are healthy family activities..Bear Creek has a bar...should they ban that too???

Well, I don't golf or bowl and if I did I wouldn't golf with anyone who smoked or bowl where smoking was allowed. It is a big stretch to consider golfing or bowling even remotely similar to skiing or snowboarding. That people smoke while they do these activities, by definition, makes them neither healthy or family activities. Teenage experimenting? Big whoop? That's the kind of thinking the tobacco companies are banking on. Experiment somewhere else.

I have no problem with a bar at Bear Creek. If that resulted in beer cans and bottles strewn all over the mountain, then I would, but all I see along the trail at Bear are cigarette butts and soda bottles and cans. I can choose to go into a bar or choose not to go into a bar. I can choose to frequent an establishment that allows smoking or one that does not. However, when I ski or board and I am standing in a line, particularly on a crowded weekend day, with my 8 yr old, I have no control over the idiot standing behind or in front of us blowing smoking in our direction - it is no longer my choice. I have asked them to please not smoke and hoped they would have some consideration for others. Occasionally, this is the case and they will put it out. More often than not, though, I get a smart alec look or remark from a teenager. A teenager who is likely one of the "entitled" season pass holders I hear whining and complaining about all kinds of ridiculous stuff that Bear Creek is not doing for "them" or to their "satisfaction".

Smoking in a public venue, indoor or outdoor, infringes on our right to breathe (relatively) clean air. As a customer, I agree, I have no right to dictate Bear Creek's or any establishments smoking policy. However, I don't think the idea of banning smoking in lift lines and on ski lifts is "harsh". It's just not the place for smoking. If any of those "experimenting" teenagers or already addicted adults really need to smoke to fulfill their ski and/or snowboard experience they can do so out in the parking lot or better yet in the privacy of their own car with the windows closed.

I told you it makes me crazy.

grilled steezey your the man i love sarcasm, and yea everybody needs to chill out if people smoke on the lift big deal, if your on the same lift and they dont ask the grow a pair and say "excuse me i have asthma and smoking messes w/ my breathing can u put that out for the ride please" hmm not too hard or you can grow a pair and just breathe it in bitch.... go ski or ride and stop complaining global warming hasnt happened completely and we still have snow

I say we ban assholes on the mountain and in this forum...there is a certain line u draw between funny and dickheadness GrilledSteeze nvr crosses that line and hes funny however Gerhard u my friend are a dickhead. :fu Grow a pair? do u think any of us chose to get asthma? i recall this thread being a WISHLIST as in this is wat people would like to see happen in the future not something where they wood bring back nazi's and Make them no smoking nazi's just have some courtesy and ask b4 u smoke no needs a cigarette that badly. i also dont recall global warming being a part of this topic.

Edited by Youngbloodz

yeah gerhard, your a dick. Cigarette smoke can mess people's breathing up if they have asthma which could trigger an asthma attack. And its not like they can help having breathing problems while you can help stop smoking.

Oh yeah no global warming. totally not. I mean are season started basically in january. Man thats mad early. Super Super cold and snowy winter

Edited by doug

mmmm beer mmmm , well i do not think smoking will ever be banned on the lift, sorry to say. and gerhard is right just grow a pair and ask someone to stop if you have asthma.

THANK YOU, i'm not saying that ur a pussy cuz u have asthma, i'm saying if u do or don't and someone lights up just ask them to wait cuz u dont like it idk why i'm a dick cuz i said "grow a pair" and the global warming thing was a joke, and also i used that to just say stop complaining about stuff on the computer and just go ski or ride. people need to relax and understand what i'm talking about or just dont listen, its up to you, btw thanks super trooper for backing me up

1) Parking for Season Pass Holders (and I would pay extra on top of my season pass). BC could have "parking permit" stickers!

2) Fix the new landings at the top of the E and F lifts, especially E. My knees are in my chest when I try to get off. OK, I realize not everyone has long legs like me, but there must be something they can do....they seem much higher than last year and many of the BC employees have agreed with me.

3) Discounts at the hotel, Grille, cafeteria, etc for Season Pass Holders

4) And the best one....a snowboarders only area...ok, I know that is not possible, but the other day some dad had his learning to ski kid on Drifter and was actually running across the run with the kid hanging onto a ski pole. This is an accident waiting to happen....like my husband said, all you need is a snowboarder to accidentally run into that idiot and his son and all hell would break loose!

5) SOME COMMON COURTESY! If I get hit one more time with ski poles that are tucked under some idiot's arm! Watch where you are going and hold the poles vertically!

And yes...I could go on and on!

BATHROOMS AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN, not like just a porta jon, but clear out some of those trees and make like a little(very little) service lodge with like bathrooms and also some tools if your board or skis breaks or needs adjustments at the top, i've seen it happen and had it happen...not fun, but i think that would be awesome little pricy but def. worth it

BATHROOMS AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN, not like just a porta jon, but clear out some of those trees and make like a little(very little) service lodge with like bathrooms and also some tools if your board or skis breaks or needs adjustments at the top, i've seen it happen and had it happen...not fun, but i think that would be awesome little pricy but def. worth it

no offense but that is a pretty big waste of money...I mean its not like bear has a vertical like vails or something like that where it takes a long time to get down the mountain. If you really had to go to the bathroom on the lift, it would be an extra two minutes to get down to the bottom.

5) SOME COMMON COURTESY! If I get hit one more time with ski poles that are tucked under some idiot's arm! Watch where you are going and hold the poles vertically!

Would be nice! Like keeping all those snowboarders from having their little sit down picnics or whatever they do in the middle of the mountain. Unfortunately this is hard to enforce unless you have a big ski patrol presence willing to be somewhat confrontational.

And why did the smaller grizzly terrain park get dumbed down this year? Bring back the little lip on the last jump instead of just the series of humps....

Just to clear up some incorrect items that have been circulating:

First, we made snow well into March last year and pushed all the snow from Sasquatch, Kodiak and Black Bear into a 50' x 500' pile 15' deep on skiers left of Kodiak. Unfortunately, we got hit with 60 to 70 degree temperatures and lots of rain the last week of March causing the pile to melt faster than expected.

Second, we intend to make snow this year as long as it makes sense. We made snow last week and we will be making snow Sunday through Wednesday nights if the forecasted temperatures arrive. What we have never and will never do is make snow once the slopes are beyond recovery. It doesn't make economic or environmetal sense to waste resources if the outcome will not improve or prolong the season.

As for the bathrooms on top of the mountain, they do exist near the top of Timberline. Unfortunately, it is a case of a few idiots ruining a good thing for everyone else. The problems started as tp'ing and graffitti and escalated to stall doors being ripped of their hinges and sinks being torn off the wall causing the bathrooms to flood. The final straw came when our cleaning staff went up for a mid-afternoon cleaning visit and someone had taken a dump in the sink. After that, we boarded them up for good.

Mark i hope your not mad when i say this but just the fact that you said dump in the sink is really funny, its nice to know mountain reps are actually people, and just a little add on to my prior post these new bathrooms would be tended because of the little shop at the top of the mountain for broken equipment, etc. and its just a wish list i knowit would be a bit pricey but its a wish, whoot whoot i'm going up today should be fun peace easy everybody

Just to clear up some incorrect items that have been circulating:

Second, we intend to make snow this year as long as it makes sense. We made snow last week and we will be making snow Sunday through Wednesday nights if the forecasted temperatures arrive. What we have never and will never do is make snow once the slopes are beyond recovery. It doesn't make economic or environmetal sense to waste resources if the outcome will not improve or prolong the season.

BEAR creek owes it to there season pass holders to make snow at every single oppurtunity. with the horrible start im dissapoointed that you said that you would not blow if the slopes are beyond repair. you still should and should have to blow to make up for the shitty begining.im going to say right now that the slopes pretty much are beyong recovery. so if we think like that bear should just close up now.

I was wondering if Bear has been thinking about a park pass program? I'm tired of people that dont belong in the park being in the way all the time. It kills me to see people running over the lips for rails and jumps, riding down the steps, and just generally being in the way. I think that the people who actually want to do stuff in the park would gladly deal with park passes. I know Camelback is a sore subject on here, and I'm not really a fan of anything about their park, but they do have a park pass system that I think works reasonably well.

For those of you not familiar with Camelback's parks, this is how they work. You get a park pass by sitting through about a 15 min movie, and then you can go hit up their wack park. Anybody is allowed to watch the movie and get a pass, but you'd be amazed at how many people just dont want to put in the time. The park crew also explains to parents that the features are for experts and whatnot, so some parents take the advice and dont sign for their kids passes. Rental gear is also not permitted in any park except their "progression park."

Please dont go off flaming Camelback once i post this. The fact that Camelback has not ever been able to set up a worthwhile park is old news. But I will give them credit for a somewhat succesful park pass system.

DAMN I'M GOOD I HAVE ANOTHER........... LIGHTS!!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF NEW AND MORE LIGHTS, especially in the park, shadows+jumpsandrails= getting royaly f-ed up new lighting would be amazing for the entire mountain