Countdown to Killington

sexkitten

In my opinion staying warm is the most important thing since Killington is a cold and windy place..and you'll be there during the coldest part of the winter.

some of those little handwarmer thingys you find at gas stations help out alot with that, i put one in each boot wedged on top of my toes kinda, and one in each hand. if you can keep your head, hands, and feet warm, your golden.

any tips, suggestions, comments, etc. would be great.

As Doug said the main thing will be to keep warm, it can be brutally cold on the peaks at Killy.

If I understand correctly that you are an intermediate skier then skye peak is going to offer some great runs for you (cruise control, skylark etc) and is serviced by the second gondola, Killington peak (off of the main gondola) can be a bit limited unless you are expert (go down the canyons area) or you want to follow all the day trippers down great northern. There are some good runs off of great northern but they may not take you back to the gondola again.

The little triple (north ridge) often give some good runs down east fall, reason etc and doesn't get so busy so early.

Snowdon peak (off of the very slow quad or triple) have some nice green / blue runs, I like bunny buster into mouse trap (watch out for the crossing point if it's busy) then either back to bunny buster or into chute.

Personally I think you will find ramshead a little dull after a couple of runs.

If you like really long but not steep runs, take great eastern all the way down to the skyeship gondola base, or at lunch time follow great eastern until you get to falls brook then follow the signs all the way down to the bear paw restaurant, you have to ski through the middle of a new condo development but it's quite a nice pre-lunch run.

Most of all, have fun and don't bounce off too many trees.

Just do laps off the gondola...the runs are long off it, and that'll warm you up, and kmart's gondolas are semi heated...you'll be fine. BTW, head over to Bear Mtn for some nice cruisers. Outer Limits is a personal favorite. Nice and mellow.

You are an evil, bad man :nono

Why not suggest devil's fiddle as a warm up run.

You are an evil, bad man :nono

Why not suggest devil's fiddle as a warm up run.

Grrrrr... I hate Jeff almost as much as I hate bumps. I would have put that trail on my list and been all pissed when I got there and looked at the trail map. Oh Jeff, I will definitely be running into you at least once this season. Be prepared for a full on yard sale my friend. If I can catch you that is.

We are here...it's cold and I can't wait! It's been 10 years since I last skied a "real" mountain.

Plenty of toe warmers, hand warmers, and layers to wear.

Waiting for Pizza Jerks....better be good 'cause I'm fing hungry.

I am definitely going to take the suggestions on good starter trails but I think Sexkitten will have a sore ass if she follows :rolleyes:

We'll let you know how things go and if we lose any digits to frostbite.

They claim the wireless internet only works in the lobby and surrounding areas...I'm in our room and I can see 5 wireless networks from all around...Unlike Doug, I won't be spending any time in the lobby :nana

later...

I had to bring the T43 to have something other than skiing, sleeping and ....Well you get the point.

Leslie skied Outer Limits...the las 50 feet of it. I skied The whole thing, didn't fall and my legs burned more than several continuous runs on challenge.

We skied sunrise, bear and skye for today. We mainly stayed on the blues and greens. We took great eastern a couple of times because it was narrow and fun once you realize where to speed up to avoid polling.

Tomorrow we will be starting on Ramshead and working our way to the left facing the mountain. It looks like tomorrow will be better because we won't need the map as much. Maybe I can talk Leslie into posting her take on things. We'll let you know how things go. Tomorrow.

Later

Had a great first day here at KMart. We skied from 9:30 to 3 mostly on blues and greens. The cold wasn't a problem cause I was rocking the "Stay Puffed Marshmallow Woman" look. Seriously, we did 3 layers on the bottom and 4 layers on the top and were golden for the day. We had some minor goggle fogging/ icing but it was easily remedied with an anti fog cloth. Like Bob said earlier, we mostly skied the left side (by the map) of the mountain and had a blast doing it. I don't think we hit any bad conditions, only saw a few, easily avoided ice patches and even got to ski some first tracks (powder coated and cord believe it or not). FYI, my favorite KMart trail is definitely Great Eastern. I love a long one. Hahaha. Anyway, weekday trips are definitely the way to go up here. The crowds were non existent and so were the lift lines. One of the trails we skied on the way to Sunrise was so dead we went almost 10 minutes without seeing another person. I'm not complaining... it's just not something I'm used to. Our hotel (The Inn of the Six Mountains) is pretty nice. It's a little run down but the room is comfortable and clean and the hot tub and pool are indoors. OK, there is a hot tub outside but I'm not brave or drunk enough to bear 5 degrees in a bikini. We'll be taking some pictures tomorrow and skiing the right side of the mountains so check back in if you care. Later.

Had a great first day here at KMart. We skied from 9:30 to 3 mostly on blues and greens. The cold wasn't a problem cause I was rocking the "Stay Puffed Marshmallow Woman" look. Seriously, we did 3 layers on the bottom and 4 layers on the top and were golden for the day. We had some minor goggle fogging/ icing but it was easily remedied with an anti fog cloth. Like Bob said earlier, we mostly skied the left side (by the map) of the mountain and had a blast doing it. I don't think we hit any bad conditions, only saw a few, easily avoided ice patches and even got to ski some first tracks (powder coated and cord believe it or not). FYI, my favorite KMart trail is definitely Great Eastern. I love a long one. Hahaha. Anyway, weekday trips are definitely the way to go up here. The crowds were non existent and so were the lift lines. One of the trails we skied on the way to Sunrise was so dead we went almost 10 minutes without seeing another person. I'm not complaining... it's just not something I'm used to. Our hotel (The Inn of the Six Mountains) is pretty nice. It's a little run down but the room is comfortable and clean and the hot tub and pool are indoors. OK, there is a hot tub outside but I'm not brave or drunk enough to bear 5 degrees in a bikini. We'll be taking some pictures tomorrow and skiing the right side of the mountains so check back in if you care. Later.

Hey I'll be working over in the parks on bear tommorow... come check it out. I recomend dreammaker

Last ski day of the KMart trip and I won't lie... it was a tough one. We got snow all day and combined with the winds and the temps it was a battle for sure. We started today at 9:30 at Ramshead which was nice for warming up and skiing off yesterday's thigh burn and skied all of the greens and blues there. It was at Ramshead that I skied my first fresh powder. There was about 5 inches over day old cord and it felt so weird. Weird but fun. We then moved over to Snowdon and it was icy, icy, icy. I think because of the winds and the position of the trails. Whatever the reason it was tough for me and I fell on Chute. Go figure. Anyway from Snowdon we skied over to the K1 and had some lunch. Sorry... but I will not be posting what we ate. Afterward we took Great Eastern all the way down to the Skyship Gondola and had a blast doing it. I read that Great Eastern is a five mile trail and honestly it felt like it on our second day. After that we had a lot of trouble with our goggles freezing up and since we were covered in snow there was no drying them. We ended up quitting around 2:15 and hung out and defrosted in the Snowshed lodge till our bus came at 3. Once back we napped and then had dinner at Choices. The restaurant was nice and I would recommend it. Overall today was just OK but they can't all be sunny and wind free. I didn't mind and my aching legs were actually happy for shorter day. Overall this was a great trip. We probably won't be back here for a few years since we want to try other mountains but I will always have a soft spot for Kmart... my first big mountain on skis.

Sweet 'kitten. I concur with Timeless, next time you goto Vermont, ski Okemo! I think you'd really love it. The "blacks" there are so easy. Okemo might have 1 short little stretch of trail that's as steep as anything at Blue. There are alot of natural rollers which are fun as hell. My favorite trail there is Upper/Lower World cup. Long as black (I think?) that you can just RIP on, super wide.

Well, we're home and already missing VT. Of course today was beautiful and sunny but it looked very CROWDED. We went up to the Snowshed lodge this morning around 9 to get my Mom a tee shirt and there were tons more people there than on any of our ski days. Weekday skiing rocks! Like I've said before we really we had a blast and as an added benefit I now have thighs of steel. I see that you guys keep recommending Okemo and we agree. Okemo will be our next East coast trip because Bob likes it there a lot. I don't love the whole kids thing but for a few days we can deal. I don't really need the easier trails to have a great time though. I like skiing a hard ass trail with difficult conditions. I don't mind a fall or two and feel that for me the only way to get better at skiing more difficult terrain is to just ski it. FYI, I won't be at Blue till next weekend for the PASR day cause our lives are really busy this weekend. I'm only a little sad though cause I need to rest my bruised behind. Chute vs. my left ass cheek.... Chute- 1, cheek-0. Oh... here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure...

Edited by sexkitten

Sexkitten did you ski in the trees at all???

Nope. I was so busy with the other stuff I didn't really get to them. Anyway, people in the K1 lodge were saying that the coverage wasn't that good.

Nice pics,im going to VT Thursday-Sunday.

Sunday were hitting up Killington.

Have fun. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Sunrise side. It's mostly closed.