Dramatic view of Blue Mt trails from a satelite

Old Geezer

Google Maps/Google Earth has a very dramatic view of Blue's trails from above. It's dramatic because all the surrounding area is brown and lacking any snow coverage whatsoever, and all of Blue's trails are bright white in contrast. You can even make out the offtrail spray pattern of some of the snow guns at the top of Challenge.

This has to be taken this year, very recently, since all the trails have opened. There were no years in the recent past where there was zero snow cover like this.

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

You can zoom in quite a lot on this one, the parking lots are almost empty. Google changes their staelite images with the seasons, so this one will not be available forever.

Google Maps/Google Earth has a very dramatic view of Blue's trails from above. It's dramatic because all the surrounding area is brown and lacking any snow coverage whatsoever, and all of Blue's trails are bright white in contrast. You can even make out the offtrail spray pattern of some of the snow guns at the top of Challenge.

This has to be taken this year, very recently, since all the trails have opened. There were no years in the recent past where there was zero snow cover like this.

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

You can zoom in quite a lot on this one, the parking lots are almost empty. Google changes their staelite images with the seasons, so this one will not be available forever.

sorry to break it to ya, but the images of blue are at least two years old. sidewinder was widened on the bottom portion for last season, and the top portion was widened this season. the wallride was built in the offseason prior to last season, and its not in the satellite image. also, the 6 pack is not there, the old challenge chair is, and there is no addition to the lower lodge that was built this year. images circa 2004-2005 season.

I'll possibly buy into that explanation, but it would have had to be the very end of 04/05 season, maybe even after they officially closed, for the surrounding area to have had zero natural snowcover. I didn't check any official records, did it from memory, but the combo of no natural snow at all and all trails with full snow coverage limits the time frame it to a very window.

Def older images. I have google earth on my computer and have played around with it alot. I was looking at my house and my old car is still in the driveway, so some of the images can be as far back as 5 years ago. As far as the Blue picture, that must have been done at a different time. The area image is all brown, no leaves on the trees, snow on the trails. But if you zoom out, there is leaves on the trees. Look at other area mountains in the poconos, zero snow on a single trail.

What bubble have you been living in. There is zero natural snowcover at Blue, yet all the trails are open most of each season.

Evidently not the same bubble as you. That area's hydrologic records show a snow cover somewhere near 75% of the time in the winters.

sorry to break it to ya, but the images of blue are at least two years old. sidewinder was widened on the bottom portion for last season, and the top portion was widened this season. the wallride was built in the offseason prior to last season, and its not in the satellite image. also, the 6 pack is not there, the old challenge chair is, and there is no addition to the lower lodge that was built this year. images circa 2004-2005 season.

Ok, Ok. I'm not up to date on all the so called improvements Blue has evidently been making.

The maps of the southern NY ski areas are from the summer, green vegetation, and no snow on the slopes.

Plattekill: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&om=1

Hunter: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

Belleayre: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&om=1

Not as dramatic at the image of Blue.

Aside from what year the images were actually taken, it was cool to see Blue as the only ski resort of all the one's I looked at the have full cov'g on their trails. Most of the other ski area's were harder to see, but the contrast of the snow made Blue look much bigger (wider trails) than other area mts.