This weather!!!!!

skifreak

We got a 3 bedroom condo for 6 people for $174 per person (includes lift tickets for sat and sun for everyone) at trail creek condos. I don't have a link because my friend did the booking, but that should be enough info to get you going.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to make it this year, but we'll look into it for post-season '05.

How late does Killington's season usually go? We'd probably wanna plan for something around April, how are conditions then?

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to make it this year, but we'll look into it for post-season '05.

How late does Killington's season usually go? We'd probably wanna plan for something around April, how are conditions then?

Conditions in late March last year totally sucked, it was actually better at CB the week after I went to Killy as we had a late snowfall just before CB closed. There was so much mud, rocks and ice at K that some of the trails should not have been open. There were still a few good rideable trails though.

I think by April you may well be limited to however much snow they managed to build up on Superstar, this seems to be their way of claiming a long season.

I'm also planning a late season trip, but I'll be looking for a cheap flight and heading out west for some decent conditions, I understand you can rely on April and May for most resorts in the rockies, Ms. Husky may have some better info on this?

Conditions in late March last year totally sucked, it was actually better at CB the week after I went to Killy as we had a late snowfall just before CB closed.  There was so much mud, rocks and ice at K that some of the trails should not have been open.  There were still a few good rideable trails though.

I think by April you may well be limited to however much snow they managed to build up on Superstar, this seems to be their way of claiming a long season.

I'm also planning a late season trip, but I'll be looking for a cheap flight and heading out west for some decent conditions, I understand you can rely on April and May for most resorts in the rockies, Ms. Husky may have some better info on this?

It depends on the forest service rules at the particular resorts. But, basically "Altitude is better than latitude" when determining where the best snow should be. So, check out the base elevations of your proposed destinations to guess at potential snow quality at the end of the season. In Colorado, that would mean your best bet would be Copper or, of course, Arapaho. I think early April is a terrific time to ski, but would have severe reservations about any snow in May. After all, if you are going to spend all that money getting there, it should be prime stuff, not messy leftovers.

Another thing to check is the timing over the years of precipitation. Frisco, Colorado gets most of their inches of snow in December and January, a slight lull in February, then two more hits in March and April. Steamboat gets hit in December and January; Aspen January and February. We get ours in December and January. The link for all of these annual records is Annual Snowfall Averages

Up here we close when the grizzlies wake up, so our closing date is already known -- April 10. That's why we open so late as well. I am sure if we ever become more commercial, money will take a back seat to grizzly habitat.

In most years, Killington is just fine in April. I've skied there as late at June 1...

You can get a pretty good idea by mid-winter how the spring skiing will be. We closed Elk on March 27th last year and they could have easily held out in to April; Montage finished March 14th with a dozen trails covered edge to edge.

In most years, Killington is just fine in April. I've skied there as late at June 1...

You can get a pretty good idea by mid-winter how the spring skiing will be. We closed Elk on March 27th last year and they could have easily held out in to April; Montage finished March 14th with a dozen trails covered edge to edge.

If they have coverage on that many trails, why close early? You would think that they'd want to get as much out of their investment as possible. I know I'd probably hike up to elk late March if they're the only mountain open within reasonable driving distance.

If they have coverage on that many trails, why close early? You would think that they'd want to get as much out of their investment as possible. I know I'd probably hike up to elk late March if they're the only mountain open within reasonable driving distance.

CB closes because Pocono day ticket buyers stop coming when the crocuses start to bloom. There are only a handful of true ski fanatics around here. :no

Conditions in late March last year totally sucked, it was actually better at CB the week after I went to Killy as we had a late snowfall just before CB closed.  There was so much mud, rocks and ice at K that some of the trails should not have been open.  There were still a few good rideable trails though.

you're right, i went to Okemo the first week in March, and EVERY trail had bare spots, and i swore i was waterskiing at the top of the lift. Chrisjur was up at Stratton that same weekend, and I know we both ran into the same problems. But the next weekend, at Blue, not 1 bare spot :angry:

it costs more money to keep the lifts on and the salaries of the workers than they make from the customers.

The ski area here doesn't mind if you ski when they are closed as it's mostly federal land which you have a right to access. BUT supposedly the grizzlies mind. In the autumn they are trying to pack in as much food as possible before they go to sleep. (This year we had a problem in the valley with both black bears and grizzlies because the huckleberry crop was poor.) In the spring it's been a long time since they ate, so when they wake up they are feeling pretty ornery. SO, you can ski, but you better be ready with your bear spray, and watch those blind corners on the way down the hill!

The ski area here doesn't mind if you ski when they are closed as it's mostly federal land which you have a right to access.  BUT supposedly the grizzlies mind.  In the autumn they are trying to pack in as much food as possible before they go to sleep.  (This year we had a problem in the valley with both black bears and grizzlies because the huckleberry crop was poor.)  In the spring it's been a long time since they ate, so when they wake up they are feeling pretty ornery.  SO, you can ski, but you better be ready with your bear spray, and watch those blind corners on the way down the hill!

Having had a run in with a grizzly in the northwest corner of Wyoming while fly fishing in 1968, I can attest to thier orneriest. Two campers were ambushed and killed shortly after that the same year. Definetely not a nice bear to be near. :help

In the spring it's been a long time since they ate, so when they wake up they are feeling pretty ornery.  SO, you can ski, but you better be ready with your bear spray, and watch those blind corners on the way down the hill!

lol, that reminds me, I almost kissed a bear this spring at Cameltop, ripping around a blind corner on roller blades, before I learned to stop. This huge bear was right in the middle of the path. It was a good thing he decided to lope off the trail...shredded skimom...it would not have been a pretty sight. :no

Bears rip up our garbage once a month, or so. When they get an idea that they want what's inside, it doesn't matter what kind of container. And it's become habit to open the door slowly to let my stupid dog out at night. The black bears just look like a shadow with eyes. Last week a skunk got him. I would have prefered a bear.

There were a number of incidents of bears ripping off garage doors and demolishing sheds. We apparently had two very busy bear people darting bears and transporting them elsewhere. The siblet saw bears on six different occasions while driving in the AM. I, of course, only saw my bears when hiking in Glacier.

Yesterday AM there was a herd of elk, though, crossing the street right in town. At least I got to see them!