Whistler Shoot Out

Papasteeze

I think a 6th and 9th place is very respectable. I was curious, I thought the PA kids would be down near the bottom..

http://internal.ussa.org/aps/public/USSARa...enEventId=15807

Hell no, Rob, that's a Sno Mountain skier in 6th...they kick ass!!!

BTW, this wasn't the Whistler Shoot Out, but the Future Stars up at Sunday River...the Whistler event is a huge, international gig...

BTW, this wasn't the Whistler Shoot Out, but the Future Stars up at Sunday River...the Whistler event is a huge, international gig...

I have seen the word Whistler intertwined with both Future Stars and Shootout. It's confusing since the criteria for qualifying for each of these series of races is very buried if it even exists at all. I think the way this regional race works is that it is a qualifier for the whistler event. I really don't know.

That race was described by USSA as the Future Stars Shoot Out for an example.. :confused

BTW the top kid ripped everyone by a whole second. jeeeeez.

Found it

Franconia's Ronnie Berlack was named to the United States Ski and Snowboard Association's (USSA) Whistler Cup team after he won three of six runs at the Whistler Shootout, a qualifying event, at Sunday River Ski Resort in Bethel, Maine on March 18

I honestly don't recall specifics, but I believe the Whistler Cup Shootout is for J4's...I also don't know all the qualifiers, but there's only one Shootout---which, of course, is in Whistler. Some of the best J4's in the world show up...

I honestly don't recall specifics, but I believe the Whistler Cup Shootout is for J4's...I also don't know all the qualifiers, but there's only one Shootout---which, of course, is in Whistler. Some of the best J4's in the world show up...

It supposedly ended on 4/3 and was at Alyeska or at least thats where the press release from Burke academy who sent the top seed from our region said it was at.

I am surprised that I couldn't find anything on the J4's..

Okay, so there's also a WCS for J3's and I vaguely remember a current or recent US Ski Teamer doing really well at them. But here's something off the web:

J3 Whistler Cup Selection Procedures

The Whistler Cup is a FIS event for Children. It is an event that is held in Whistler, BC every April and consists of one super G, one giant slalom and one slalom for J3s. Western Region has a quota of 3 boys and 3 girls. The selection procedures for this event are the US winners from the Super G, giant slalom and slalom from the J3 Junior Olympics. If the same person wins more than one event, then the US winner of the combined will be chosen. If the quota of 3 still has not be filled, then US silver medalists will be chosen in order of lowest race points. In the event of a race(s) cancellation, the remaining races will be used for selection. If only one race is held the best three placings will be selected (In the event of multiple ties in the first two positions when only one race is held, a coin toss will determine the selection among those tied for the last position).

And for the J4's:

J4 Whistler Cup Selection Procedures

The Whistler Cup is a FIS event for Children. It is an event that is held in Whistler, BC every April and consists of one giant slalom and one slalom for J4s. Western Region has a quota of 2 boys and 2 girls. The selection procedures for this event are the US winners from the giant slalom and slalom from the J4 Festival.

Edited by ski

This sucks.. I finally found the website. jeeeeeez.. something so big, seems so hidden, I guess I am spoiled by the hype that park comps get.

http://www.whistlercup.com/news/releases/2...ts+underway.htm

http://www.whistlercup.com/info/schedule/default.htm

Edited by Papasteeze

Great find, thanks, Rob...I suppose it's a little under the radar because it's Canadian-based. Plus, Canada has had so many problems with their entire national program over the last few years, which includes money for promotion. I think they fired all their coaches last year, too. Maybe the bigger reason, though, is the oldest racers are still just 14. Look at people like Ligety, who wasn't even one of the best on his club team at 14.

That Benji Raich and Anja Paerson raced it does say something, though...

It does. thats why I have a renewed interest, given how well the PA kids did - It was interesting to see the sno kid over the Blue kid. I think the Eastern quota is only 2 male and 2 female. I want show Ridge the results and see if that rekindles some interest.

Great find, thanks, Rob...I suppose it's a little under the radar because it's Canadian-based. Plus, Canada has had so many problems with their entire national program over the last few years, which includes money for promotion. I think they fired all their coaches last year, too. Maybe the bigger reason, though, is the oldest racers are still just 14. Look at people like Ligety, who wasn't even one of the best on his club team at 14.

The Whistler Cup and the Whistler Shootout are 2 different events. Here's how it works for the J4's. The top 2 girls and boys from each eastern state qualify to race in the shootout. The shootout is held a day before the Future Stars event at the same venue. 18 boys and 18 girls race 3 SL and 3 GS runs in one day. The the top 2 from the shootout qualify for the Whistler Cup in Whistler. There they race against the top kids in the world. I believe each USSA region gets to send 2 boys and 2 girls to the cup for a total of 20 from the USA. The results that you linked above are very confusing. Go to www.live-timing.com. The shootout was on 3/18/07. I could be wrong on the total # but you get the idea. I'm not sure how it works for J3's.

:ph34r:

I am interested in knowing who came from where at the Shoot out. And then the (results who and where) from the Whistler thing.

The 4 at the shootout from PARA were :

Bergen-Blue

Tommy-Sno

Lauren-Blue

Kelly-Camelback

If you look at the Live-timing site it gives you the club for each kid rather than just the region. Good luck figuring out where each kid is from at the Whistler Cup. If I remember correctly they list them by country. You could take each name from the USA and search it in USSA to see their club.

:ph34r:

• 6 months later...

Talk about a fun event! I was one of the coaches for the PARA team the last few years for the shootout and future stars. Yeah, Pa kids did very well, i was proud of them. However, by J3's, we tend to lose some ground as allot of the northern racers head to academies. That's never much of an issue for our PA racers though, they seems to understand this and take it with a grain of salt. Looking forward to this season!

Talk about a fun event! I was one of the coaches for the PARA team the last few years for the shootout and future stars. Yeah, Pa kids did very well, i was proud of them. However, by J3's, we tend to lose some ground as allot of the northern racers head to academies. That's never much of an issue for our PA racers though, they seems to understand this and take it with a grain of salt. Looking forward to this season!

Welcome to PASR, Coach!

Welcome! Could you be so kind to post the PA kids results?

Welcome! Could you be so kind to post the PA kids results?

Clicky-linky here... http://www.live-timing.com/races.php?pc=1&...=March&y=07

3/20 is the Future Star Kombi race, which was a full length race course that was Started at GS, went to SL and back to GS again, pretty cool!

3/18 was the actual shootout. It was to be 3/17, but we had that Nor'Easter socked the area with 12+ inches and they postponed the event bc no one could make it up to SR on time :banghead

Although i represented PARA, i had no PA kids on my crew for the future stars event. They take all the kids and all the coaches and jumble them up so no coach has any kids they know. I had 4 kids from SARA (one as far south as Beech Mt. in NC), a few NY'ers and two from Maine. We ended up winning the whole match out of 17 or 18 teams. We won mainly bc we had the most vertical feet skied in a 6 hour period (talk about a tired coach!!).

J4FS07-2jpg.jpg

Edited by Winter

I can't figure out that live timing site. whatever.... why do I feel like there is something wrong with asking specifically how

Bergen-Blue

Tommy-Sno

Lauren-Blue

Kelly-Camelback

Did? I have met all of them except Lauren and I would like to tell my son the news. Thanks.

I can't figure out that live timing site. whatever.... why do I feel like there is something wrong with asking specifically how

Bergen-Blue

Tommy-Sno

Lauren-Blue

Kelly-Camelback

Did? I have met all of them except Lauren and I would like to tell my son the news. Thanks.

I didn't know you had a problem viewing that site. There may also be results listed on the MARA (maine racing??) or Sunday River site. Not sure. I'll see if i can figure each one of their places out tonight when i get home. Off to bear creek for the fall fest.

Hey thanks! And where the heck did you dig up that old result!? LOL!! Ok, i'm getting the feeling i know you... Care to divuldge?

We've crossed paths, but mostly just know a lot of the same people. I had a girl who raced for Gus at CB, then I raced ASRA a little for four years after she went to college. Now, I have a little girl starting with Coach Steph and Colleen. Oh, and I did the Thursday Night races at Sno, but I don't think you hung at in the bar all that much.

Anyway, this board is pretty unique because---even though we sometimes argue like idiots---we have get-togethers called PASR Days and quite a few of us have been skiing together for years.

We've crossed paths, but mostly just know a lot of the same people. I had a girl who raced for Gus at CB, then I raced ASRA a little for four years after she went to college. Now, I have a little girl starting with Coach Steph and Colleen. Oh, and I did the Thursday Night races at Sno, but I don't think you hung at in the bar all that much.

Anyway, this board is pretty unique because---even though we sometimes argue like idiots---we have get-togethers called PASR Days and quite a few of us have been skiing together for years.

Being old and blind it took me a minute to see the edit of the top name. What's MLSC?