? about Killington

bigdaddyk

It's not going to be all bumps unless it's just the Superstar trail..Skylark to Bittersweet gets groomed daily..

I'm very tempted to hit Killington next weekend to hit 120 days..

screw it im goin. just doesnt seem worth the gas, but its a day on the snow so whatevs

I was going to go at 3am this morning, but decided to call it a season. They only have technically one groomed run open, from the top of the lift to the bottom, and the three trails make it a zig zag. I like to have a decent run to make some turns on...the zig zagging cuts down on that. They have some sort of race going on, anyway, which might mean more people than what I would want....the snow could end up being all lumped up way too quick.

• 2 weeks later...
That my friends truly does suck.

Any ideas how hard it would be to open a resort on the east coast? You see, I'm prepared to take matters into my own hands.

really hard to open a new one. you would have to go past environmentalists and all kinds of nonsense. buy an existing resort.

http://www.vermont-home.com/ski.htm

heres one in vermont. relativley cheap.

Now you're probably not being 100% serious but I'll expound on the topic anyways...

The hospitality/resort industry alone is complex. You'd be surprised at what goes on within the business that the average guest/tourist is totally unaware of. (I work at an amusement resort during the summer). I'm not saying that opening and/or running a brand new ski resort can't be done, it would just be a real challenge. I can only imagine... I'll be studying all of this come late August when I leave for college!!!

The environment is a major concern... Even established ski resorts face issues with the environmentalists when it comes to expanding..

Killington...

The connecting trails from Killington to Pico and vise-versa... They've been wanting to do that for years but they kept running into issues over land.

And now with the new company, it will be interesting to see what plans they have in store within the next few years and how they are going to go about putting them to action.

Whiteface...

A conversation in the gondola by a Whiteface local was saying how they have wanted to expand, but all it took was a singe species of bird to hinder the project.

the environmentalists in Jersey suck. We had plans to expand the bowling center. 8 more lanes and a 9 hole indoor mini golf course, bigger party room etc. We couldn't get it approved. We are not in a residential area, nothing around but woods.

about the "buy a ski resort" thing, look up oak mountain. it used to have a high speed lift and everything, but got closed down because nobody came in the 05-06 season... exept for me. it got about 200in a season, and they have some really cool runs there. theres also one thats suuuuper steep, i dont even know how they cleared the trees. its like a 35 degree pitch. i think there asking 2 mil for it... could probly get it for around 1.75

Well I do go to college and I am earing a Resort and Hospitality Degree... from an Environmental Liberal Arts school... In Killington VT. :halo And K2 is absoultly right. There a major factors at play that day to day skiers can't even fathom. Powdr Corp and SP land will do a great job... Regarding the interconnect (pico/killy) they have been paying $5mil a year in land development permits to complete the project, but we all know ASC ( :huh: ) Here is some more helpful info...

Killington sale CLOSES! Thank God!

http://www.skiareamanagement.com/news/article.php?tid=1476

Theres an Environmental LIberal Arts school in killington?

about the short season, I was at killington the first week in April before they had all the snow and the base was at most 3 inches on some major trails. i'm guessing all the snow they got was wiped away quickly. I dont think they could go much longer than May 6th unless you want to ski around dirt patches on superstar.

Theres an Environmental LIberal Arts school in killington?

Green Mountain College in Poultney has a partnership with Killington.. And it's a really unique program.

Hey Parkbuilder... It looks like I'll be seeing you next year! Can the Lodge handle 3 PASR's... haha

I'm going for Hospitality and Skidude is also going for Resort.

No I wasnt being completely serious, so don't worry. I never studied resort management or anything but I think I know a bit more than the average layman does on the subject.

I also realize it'd be impossible to build one from scratch because of the level of development and the amount of red tape. If anyone here becomes a multi-millionare then we're definitely gonna talk about buying and re-opening a mountain.

That was only half-sarcastic I think.

Ohhhhhhhhh ok, its totally sarcastic. I just want a place to pile up snow and stay open into June, but don't we all...

Edited by Rowsdower

Too bad for everyone... I'm the new RA for next year :snowpee:

Oh yea and one more thing... I start construction on the lodge's stair set tomorrow. I think you guys are going to have a blast. Pics will be posted dont worry.

Oh yeah, I wanted to thank you for maintaining a sick park in killington, that new rail line that was up when I was there was really fun.