Siblet on her way to Mammoth

sibhusky

Naturally, she is off to a set of ferocious FIS races and she hasn't had ANY gate training yet this year. At this point, all I hope is she finishes and gets back to me in one piece.

If you're out there skiing Dec. 18-21, head toward the course for me and cheer her on.

Yes, tell her to win :D

That ain't happenin'. I just want her to 1) FINISH the race, and 2) improve her start position. She's up against people who almost all have points in the low hundreds or below a hundred. If she can just hold her own, I'll be happy.

Some insane competition in FIS races. Former CAT "CW" had FIS races yesterday and today in Maine...

Again, it can be better to finish 100th in a race with great competition than 10th in a race with little competition. It's all about the points. You try to get them as low as possible, just like a golf or NASTAR handicap.

Edited by ski999

Why are women penalized... maybe I'm not understanding the termanolgy.

Men are, too. Any race is given a "penalty". It's wicked complicated and depends on three factors: 1. The seed points of the top five racers that start; 2. the seed points of the top five racers among the top 10 finishers; 3. whether the times of those five racers are clustered together near the winer's time or widely dispersed.

Basically, you need a computer to figure out the penalty assigned to each race. Then, you have to figure out the race penalty, which means how close your time is to the winners. For example, it's better to finish in 10th place and be 1 second behind in a race than it is to be 9th place and 2 seconds out in a different race.

The whole idea is to be able to compare racers on any given day and on any given slope.

Like I said, I just wanted her to finish the race. Now, hopefully today she can actually run a good race.

All the Northern division girls had a tough time as they haven't had any gate training to speak of. In fact, someone told me most of the other resorts in our region aren't open yet.