Seasonal tune ups?

Smittysprize

My son is trying to convince me that a seasonal tune up is the way to go this year. Camelback offers one and he has only good things to say about the guy Mark who works there. He did go snowboarding 4 or 5 times a week last winter (and his board did get pretty beat up). Anyone have a seasonal tune at Camelback? Do you think such an expense is worth the money? What are your thoughts on this guy Mark?

Well...

I don't tune my park board at all (maybe a coat of wax every once in a while, and if there is a really big gouge, some ptex). My freeride board I try to keep fresh wax on every 3-5 times on the hill, and edges touched about the same. My park board gets beat up, and spending alot of time getting the base nice isn't worth it, and I want dull edges for rails. Racers take MUCH better care of their skis, waxing and sharpening every time on the hill.

So I guess depending on the riding he/you do, yes tuning is a good idea. Most people, self included, on this board believe in tuning your own gear. I've heard good things about the CB repair people so if you aren't the dyi type, this is a safe bet. If you want more info on tuning your own gear there is a pinned thread in the gear forum, and plenty of people who will be happy to give some help/advice.

My son is trying to convince me that a seasonal tune up is the way to go this year. Camelback offers one and he has only good things to say about the guy Mark who works there. He did go snowboarding 4 or 5 times a week last winter (and his board did get pretty beat up). Anyone have a seasonal tune at Camelback? Do you think such an expense is worth the money? What are your thoughts on this guy Mark?

Well, how much is it, Craig?

I get my board tuned at the CB shop 2 or 3 times a year and they do a great job, Mark seems to be the pivotal factor in this so I hope their new part time technician knows his way around too.

Last year with a season pass discount, a full hot-wax & edge was under $20 (+ tip) so for me the seasonal cost seems high, but then if it covered as many boards/skis as I could bring in (including my back-up stick and my kids' stuff) then maybe it would be worth it.

Anyway, bottom line is they do good work and they do not seem overly expensive (to me).

Is tipping a normal thing for ski tune ups????

It helps you get good service next time you go. Despite the fact that I only go in occasionally, they remember my name, always have my board ready when I want it and when my binding broke they fixed it for free so I think it pays off in the long run.

Do people tip you for delivering headstones?

Mark is the only guy I will pay at that shop to do work. Make sure to tip him.

What makes him so special? Experience? A special discount for you? (Based on listending to you on this board, I would charge YOU double, then make you park really far away to put your gear in your car......:) )

What is it that makes "Mark" the man??

• 2 weeks later...

Ethan decided against the seasonal tune up but he is going to bring his equipment up to CB for a tune up. They are running a special for $19.95 which seems pretty good for a full tune (according to Ethan that is). Is it a good price? He is so excited about the winter his my space page is full of pics!

Come on mother nature! Momma wants the kids out of the house!!!

Mark is terrific, I really miss having him around for my skis...on the other hand, $125 is a lot of money if what you mostly get done is a wax and an edge touch up each week. You don't want to stone grind constantly or you won't have any skis left, plus you have to restart the wax impregnation again and you want your bases to be loaded up deep down with wax. I think if you get them waxed each night and not just once a week, you might break even compared to doing it yourself. If you need edge work done regularly, you will come out ahead as diamond stones are pricey.
what is this $125 tune that you are talking about? What does it entail?
This is a SEASONAL tune up. That means, they'll keep tuning your gear for you all season long. Basically, you could treat them like a locker as well. Drop off your skis Sunday night, pick them up the next Saturday or whatever.

Mark is terrific, I really miss having him around for my skis...on the other hand, $125 is a lot of money if what you mostly get done is a wax and an edge touch up each week.

Sib, you just have no idea how much I regret not knowing then what I know now...I get pretty bummed when I think how I let Kat down with some tuning tricks I should have learned back then, especially since I'd been a hack racer for years already.

Sib, you just have no idea how much I regret not knowing then what I know now...I get pretty bummed when I think how I let Kat down with some tuning tricks I should have learned back then, especially since I'd been a hack racer for years already.

Could you be a bit more specific? Does this refer to the seasonal tuneup or Mark somehow?

i wax my board after 1 or 2 days on the mountian and it seems to keep the base in excelent condition, i also sharpen my base and side edge befor the season starts. then sharpen the side edge every 2 or 3 weeks.

Edited by zaldon

Could you be a bit more specific? Does this refer to the seasonal tuneup or Mark somehow?

Oh, no, nothing nefarious...I just mean that after working on my own race skis for the last few years and skiing them, which gives you a kind of feedback that is perfect---as opposed to trying to explain to a tech what you need done differently---I've grown way to picky to accept what a guy using a machine could ever do. A little tweak to the edge near the tail for holding the end of a turn on ice to just extra buffing with a super soft horsehair brush after using the nylon. I just sorta shake my head when someone brags about a $30,000 machine and how great it is. It's the same difference to me as using the "expensive" hot wax pressure hose at the car wash as opposed to manually waxing and buffing your own car. Shops don't necessarily spend big bucks to turn out great tunes; they spend big bucks to turn out of decent tunes, no matter the name of the person running it.

Oh, and I wish I'd been tuning both our girls skis.

Well, Siblet now does all her friends skis because the fact that the team traveled together all of the time and sometimes they had a "regional tuning tech" at the races with them, she learned a lot. I actually don't like her to do mine, but she sneaks it in occasionally.

What makes him so special? What is it that makes "Mark" the man??

Experience and attention to detail. He understands both race and park ski tunes and repairs. I don't know how many years he has tuning skis but he is quick and efficient and listens well. Each time I have had him do work, it is usually for something specific, so I explain exactly what needs to be done and he has always delivered. Oh, he reads or used to read this board too :)

Edited by Papasteeze

How you doing Sib?? You going to be able to get first tracks before all of us here on the east coast?

PAX

Probably not. We don't open until 12/8. That's a change in policy from prior years, but since they are replacing two chairs and realigning another, I can see why they are snipping off a few non-profitable weeks from things to allow themselves more time. As it is, we haven't had the normal amount of snow yet that we've had in past years by this point. Just a dusting last night, whereas in previous years we've had a foot in October. They haven't even started making snow yet, it's been so warm. However, the forecast is now improving noticeably and I think they'll start this week.