Glades/Off-Piste/BackCountry/freeskiing RACE?

mobile chernobyl

Does there exist a race where competitors race through Glades/Off-Piste/BackCountry (or whatever the heck you want to call freeskiing type terrain) in a timed fashion.

Note what I have in mind is something similar to downhill mountain biking (youtube -> "Downhill mountain bike race" for a better idea of the type of courses im talking about). I'm sure the courses would become obliterated within a day - so make them wider? What I'm asking basically is - is there a race format or even a fun race where the competitors race slalom'y style through the trees, bumps, jumps (step ups, downs, tables, gaps, drops etc.) and all the time between two tapes so the course is not totally up in the air, and in a single competitor timed fashion. It could be flat in spots - hell make it more endurance oriented where the skiier has to push or kick - same as pedaling in the flats on a downhill mtb course. This would most likely not be very fun for snowboarders if its not all downhill tho.

If not I think it would be pretty cool, albiet dangerous, but so is doing it on a bike.

If im not being clear just let me know, but if you youtube downhilll mountain biking youll get a much better idea of what im talking about - and keep in mind the mountain bike courses almost ALWAYS are on a skiing mountain (with the local exception of Reading PA's freeride race and races in warmer climates like aussyland and other countrys)

Maybe redbulls already done it? wouldnt doubt it lol

Haha yea I'm almost thinking something as "rebelious" as somethning you'd see in "out-cold" only run professionally. I think it'd be a really fun race as it would blend the lines between lycra wearing skinny ski racers and loose gucci burton wearing park rats in attitude. Most mountains could accomadate it - but most mountains couldnt really plan it i guess as they dont usually blow snow into the trees - it just has to fall. PA wouldnt be able to do it i guess unless we got like a 3 foot dump the week before - it would just be non stop rock scraping woods runs. O well. Hell to spruce it up we could throw in some wooden stair gaps and make it a little more urban.

Maybe I'm just getting carried away but that would be my euphoric idea of a race and I cant think of a reason why people wouldnt travel 100 miles or more to compete in it given its advertised correctly and features a cash purse in a pro/am format with am's getting skis or some other material prize.

Edited by mobile chernobyl

Jeez, a few years ago KMart had to pay out $5million because a low end intermediate tried a back flip on "an unexpected obstacle" and broke his neck. And the most expensive (and prohibitive) aspect of ski areas holding races is the cost of two layers of expensive netting that keeps people from hitting trees.

Wonder what Craig would say to an off-piste Chinese downhill at CB?

Artistic license or licence (also known as dramatic license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term used to denote the distortion or complete ignorance of fact, or the changing of an established work that an artist may undertake in the name of art

Artistic license or licence (also known as dramatic license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term used to denote the distortion or complete ignorance of fact, or the changing of an established work that an artist may undertake in the name of art

Ummm... Yeah.

Heheheh...

Actually, it was written in the complaint as an "unexpected obstacle" that the newbie encountered and tried to do a "trick". The newbie was "enticed" by the obstacle. The court found the newbie mostly responsible, but if someone sues you for a billion dollars and you are found just 1% responsible, that's still 1% of a billion dollars.

Lawyers suck. Judges are worse. Jurists are typically idiots. That's why lift tickets cost what they do....

Wonder what Craig would say to an off-piste Chinese downhill at CB?

Not sure about an Off-Piste Down Hill at CB? But a huge Skier/Boarder Cross might be cool? I skied at Blue last winter and had a good time running the Ski/board-Cross run/features. I think a cross route that's made big, top to bottom, would be alot of fun. Big rollers, banked turns, DH jumps, a few bumps and fast straights would work.

Off-Piste scares me (as a event planner)...

Not sure about an Off-Piste Down Hill at CB? But a huge Skier/Boarder Cross might be cool? I skied at Blue last winter and had a good time running the Ski/board-Cross run/features. I think a cross route that's made big, top to bottom, would be alot of fun. Big rollers, banked turns, DH jumps, a few bumps and fast straights would work.

Can we take this as being in the plans for CB this year then? Wouldn't take too much work if you started with Nile Mile.

The comment was my own thoughts.... Sorry..

Yeah, I know. Still a good idea though.

While we are in that imaginary place, how about putting dozens of fir trees (christmas trees?) in pots all over a trail and blowing snow over the bases to create a man made (and relatively safe) "gladed" area. I realize you couldn't groom it properly without leaving huge gaps (less fun) but you could just keep blowing fresh snow over it to even it out.

A question on snowmaking: Can you adjust the guns under good conditions to create more powder-like snow? And if so could you set up guns to blow regularly on a run like Rocket to give "first tracks" powder conditions now and again.