Might give snowboarding a try

skifreak

So lately I've been thinking about giving boarding a try. Something a little different and who knows, may get me out to the mountain more often :lol:

I've never snowboarded at the mountain before, only in my backyard and on a cheap plastic snowboard. I just don't know what to look for in a board. I'm not too keen on renting stuff to try it, because I know I'm not going to hate it and will want to keep doing it even if I alternate between skiing.

I know I'm going to want to get a leash, and maybe wrist guards (I want to hear your opinions on them). Also what size board would you recommend for someone starting out and is 5' 10" and weighs 150 +/- pounds? I want strap bindings, not clicker ones. Is there something I should look for in bindings?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on it, but am certainly giving it some thought.

Edited by skifreak

Less stress on the knees, you won't look like a clown walking around in your boots, and WAY more aesthically pleasing... you should definitely give it a shot.

Your height isn't really important, only weight and shoe size. Assuming you have the proper snowboarders foot size of 9 you will be able to get any normal board. If you rock 11s you should think about wide boards. You should be riding anything from 150 (pretty short) to a 155 for a beginning board. Even that may be a pinch long.

You know the routine, go to a shop and they will have a better idea.

I'm about a 10.5 size shoe. I don't know anything about snowboard boots and how they run size wise. I know my ski boots are smaller than my shoe size, so that might be similar to snowboarding, I don't know.

My older sister snowboards, but she is never home to ask anything. She told me a board about 150cm should do me fine, and that appears right from what you guys told me. Thanks for the advice on the wrist guards, I really don't want to bust up my wrists, especially since I'm just starting out.

I'll wait for some more replies, but thanks for the info Glenn and TP4.

I skied a long time then felt the urge to lose the training wheel and its been a lot of fun.

I would suggest waiting on a purchase until after you tried it a few times. During those first few days you will likely find yourself on the ground and probably even develop a new appreciation for your tailbone.

start with a lesson

the boots should fit firm enough that you dont get heel lift

You can get a decent set up for a decent price. You say you are a size 10.5 which would means you should be okay on most boards, but I would recommend trying on boots first and make sure that is your size. If you wind up being an 11 you have have some toe drag issues on boards with small waist widths, but if you angle your bindings you should be okay.

A quality first board would be a Atomic Hatchet , you can get a left over for around 200$ or a new one for around 300$ and it is a good board. I would get either the 153 or 156, probably the 153 if I was you. I ride the 156 in the park but it handles good outside the park. The flex is pretty soft but not too soft and comes with a factory 2.5 degree base bevel which will keep you from catching your edge as much while learning. I have been riding this board for a year and love it and will probably get a new one every couple of years as long as they keep making it. You can't beat the amount of tech you get in the board for the price point it is at. Other boards I would suggest : Rome Agent , K2 Jibpan and Never Summer SL.

As for bindings I would get some Union Forces , well built bindings that have not let me down. I have a pair on each of my 3 setups and have had no problems at all. You can get a pair of leftovers for around 120$ I have also heard good things about Rome bindings, both Union and Rome bindings are highly adjustable and shouldn't have a problem with your boot fitting them. Good Luck and hope you enjoy it , I am just throwing some suggestions out there , I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions on equipment.

So lately I've been thinking about giving boarding a try. Something a little different and who knows, may get me out to the mountain more often :lol:

I've never snowboarded at the mountain before, only in my backyard and on a cheap plastic snowboard. I just don't know what to look for in a board. I'm not too keen on renting stuff to try it, because I know I'm not going to hate it and will want to keep doing it even if I alternate between skiing.

I know I'm going to want to get a leash, and maybe wrist guards (I want to hear your opinions on them). Also what size board would you recommend for someone starting out and is 5' 10" and weighs 150 +/- pounds? I want strap bindings, not clicker ones. Is there something I should look for in bindings?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on it, but am certainly giving it some thought.

Leashes aren't even required at most mountains anymore . They're honestly not necessary, and no one really uses them anymore.

for good deals on a setup, go to the house www.the-house.com they have a lot of good deals for decent equipment...

i highly recommend wristguards. i have gloves with a pull out liner (lighter gloves). i put the liner on, then the wristguards, and then the gloves. it works well.

Personaly, i wore wristguards for a year and a half, and they do more harm than good. Any small fall on your wrists, and you feel it 10x harder than you should have. Not totally uncomfortable if you're really paranoid, but i'm staying away...

+1 for wrist guards. Learning how to fall correctly will help this whole venture. I learned how to fall from skateboarding.

yeah board's are all over craigslist too. and whiskymilitia sometimes.

boots i just went with shitty lamars but they turned out pretty nice and great beginner boots..