Ernie rolling over - Taos to allow Snowboards

Johnny Law

Dear Friend ,

After much contemplation Taos Ski Valley has decided to open our slopes to snowboarding beginning March 19, 2008. It is in the adventurous spirit of Ernie and Rhoda Blake we welcome the challenges and anticipate the opportunities that this decision implies. While there are many reasons why we have chosen this season to make such a significant change to our company

"Please, snowboarders, save our business!"

Pat Bridges wrote one of the best editorials in Snowboarder Mag a few years ago that addressed the resorts that still prohibited snowboarding. The basic idea behind the article was that when these mountains finally open their slopes to snowboarding snowboarders should boycott said mountain because it would be hypocritical to support a business that has shut us out for so long. I know I could really care less about Taos or the other three resorts that prohibit snowboarding.

I think thats dumb. There is no reason that snowboarders should boycott Taos. It makes no sense, its that kind of tit-for-tat mentality that messess some much stuff up. Eventhough taos may have realized that snowboarding doesn't equate with sin a little late does not mean that we shouldn't take advantage of all that it has to offer. After all, its not about Facisit pigs as people on TWS are talking about, its about the fact that people who have one plank are now able to easily access some new, very nice (from what i understand) terrain. Take advantage of it.

"Please, snowboarders, save our business!"

Pat Bridges wrote one of the best editorials in Snowboarder Mag a few years ago that addressed the resorts that still prohibited snowboarding. The basic idea behind the article was that when these mountains finally open their slopes to snowboarding snowboarders should boycott said mountain because it would be hypocritical to support a business that has shut us out for so long. I know I could really care less about Taos or the other three resorts that prohibit snowboarding.

Thats the first thing that came to my mind when i saw this. Seems like they are trying to save their place to. Im also with you on not caring about Taos or the other 3 resorts.

I think thats dumb. There is no reason that snowboarders should boycott Taos. It makes no sense, its that kind of tit-for-tat mentality that messess some much stuff up. Eventhough taos may have realized that snowboarding doesn't equate with sin a little late does not mean that we shouldn't take advantage of all that it has to offer. After all, its not about Facisit pigs as people on TWS are talking about, its about the fact that people who have one plank are now able to easily access some new, very nice (from what i understand) terrain. Take advantage of it.

Why support a resort that doesn't want us there to begin with?

Edited by KnuckleDragger

Why support a resort that doesn't want us there to begin with?

Think about it for a second, every resort that was established more than 15 years ago was only skiing at one point. If snowboarders had the same mentality then, as you are suggesting now, we might never have been able to enjoy lift serviced terrain. I know this is an extreme point of view, but its true. At some point you have to take the so called, "high road" and instead of looking at purchasing a lift ticket as supporting an entity that does not want you, think of it as you taking advantage of new terrain, terrain that has never before been touched by a snowboard. Enjoy the new freedom. Another extreme example: when african americans were finally allowed to drink from the same water fountains as whites or sit in the front of a public bus, they took advantage of it. I think the quote is, "to err is human, but to forgive is divine." hahahah. If you ask me I say shred on.

Think about it for a second, every resort that was established more than 15 years ago was only skiing at one point. If snowboarders had the same mentality then, as you are suggesting now, we might never have been able to enjoy lift serviced terrain. I know this is an extreme point of view, but its true. At some point you have to take the so called, "high road" and instead of looking at purchasing a lift ticket as supporting an entity that does not want you, think of it as you taking advantage of new terrain, terrain that has never before been touched by a snowboard. Enjoy the new freedom. Another extreme example: when african americans were finally allowed to drink from the same water fountains as whites or sit in the front of a public bus, they took advantage of it. I think the quote is, "to err is human, but to forgive is divine." hahahah. If you ask me I say shred on.

Yes, but they got on board and accepted snowboarding when it got POPULAR. Not 20 years later... I don't know everything, but i do believe Taos is opening it's slopes to snowboarders because they need the money. If that wasn't the case it'd still be Skier's only. and never been touched by a snowboard? you don't think anyone has poached that shit before? gimme a break. I also wouldn't want to ride at a place that is still going to carrying around the mentality of skiers only. As it will because the hardcore locals there will still want it to be only skiers, thus us riders will still be shunned upon. To each his own though.

Interesting, I'm glad they opened it for the local boarders because there are not many mountains near Taos for them. That being said, if I'm buying a plane ticket to go somewhere I've got Whistler, all of Utah, all of Colorado, Mammoth, Mt Bachelor and Mt Baker on my list ahead of Taos so it will be a long long time before I ever buy a ticket from them.