Trip Report Saturday Dec 15th - good start to season

NJSkiFamily

Hi everyone,

Been away waaay too long from this mb, but I'm back.

Had our first ski day of the season and it was a good one.

Started out late, had to pick up my son from a sleepover (yet his alarm clock went off at 6:30am), then we stopped to buy season passes, then daughter finds she's had a growth spurt and the ski boots that fit when we leased them back in October do not fit anymore, etc, etc.

So it seemed forever to get onto the slopes.

Well worth the starting gate frustrations. Snow conditions were very good for this time in December. Packed powder with occasional sugar thrown in. We skied from about 11:30 to 4ish and really saw no deterioration in the snow. Hard pack and very carveable. Usual places iced up but not too bad.

Temps hovered around freezing point so very comfortable. Really didn't cloud up until later in the afternoon.

Crowds were minimal. With one quad open the lines did get a tad long but it moved. Headed over to the Marc Anthony lift and whoa, there was a long line. Yikes, usually the Marc Anthony lift has no line. But it was the only lift open on that side of the mountain.

I think one thing that helped keep the snow in good condition was the absence of noob skiers/riders. Saw very, very few people snowplowing or riding their boards perpendicular down the entire way. So the snow didn't get scraped away like it usually does in heavily traffic areas like Honeymoon lane.

Marjies held up very well - no bumps at all even in the late afternoon.

Oh, Cameltop was open and they've changed the menu. No more hamburgers (still have hot dogs) but they are offering a deli counter (including paninis). My son was bummed as he prefers hamburgers.

Late in the day a Ranger stopped us and I thought we were in trouble but not the case at all as he was asking our opinion on conditions that day. BTW the Rangers were out in full force today. I only heard the whistles blown a few times.

I had on new boots today and I should have spent time beforehand wearing them and breaking them in. It was like wearing two clamps around my lower calves - ouch. Got much better later in the day but early on my calves were screaming in pain.

So good way to start the season. Will try to get back next Saturday then we're off to Smuggler's Notch over the Christmas break.

Edited by NJSkiFamily

Nice report..NJSKIFAMILY...have fun at Smugglers notch..they apparently have a ton of snow and might be far enough north to avoid the mixed precip tomorrow.

Thanks.....I don't want to jinx it as the previous four times we've been up over Christmas break the conditions were horrible (rain). December usually starts out great then around the 20th the temps warm up and the snow disappears.

I've never seen the trail count so high this early in December.

Late in the day a Ranger stopped us and I thought we were in trouble but not the case at all as he was asking our opinion on conditions that day. BTW the Rangers were out in full force today. I only heard the whistles blown a few times.

I believe they do that if there was an accident in the area and someone was hurt.

i wish blue did that. i hate taking runs without being asked questions.

Hahahah...classic.

Sno has them, too, but they don't get seem to get a boner from interrupting your day with their little power trips. The Rangers I knew from CB were off-duty cops, which tells you something.