X-Games Stoke Thread!

Justin

Day 1 already went down, and since I can't ski I've been on PASR and NS all day now....

Ski Superpipe Semi-Finals were yesterday. Tonight is the finals, it's going to be nuts so I'd watch it (ESPN2@9PM). You might even get to see some Slopestyle practice, the setup is NUTS.

Link: http://www.newschoolers.com/web/content/news/news_id/1853/

For those to lazy to click....

The lineup for tonight is T Hall, Dumont, Kevin Rolland, Andreas Hatveit, Mike Riddle, Jossi Wells, Matt Hayward, Colby West, Olenick, and Sean Field.

Pics of the slopestyle:

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tuning in for pipe I missed slopestyle but I'm hoping for re runs. Why is it an 18 foot pipe and not 22? I'm liking it it though, except how they keep saying "amplitude", shut the hell up.

When I go to camelback tomorrow I can't wait to hit a competition grade pipe it should look just like that one. Right? Right? I hope.

I'm tuning in for pipe I missed slopestyle but I'm hoping for re runs. Why is it an 18 foot pipe and not 22? I'm liking it it though, except how they keep saying "amplitude", shut the hell up.

When I go to camelback tomorrow I can't wait to hit a competition grade pipe it should look just like that one. Right? Right? I hope.

You didn't miss slopestyle....thats not until the weekend. All you missed was ski superpipe elimination which was last night.

I'm so stoked for big air tomorrow night. I'm a little disappointed with the slopestyle though, it's lacking jibs.

Wow....Dumont was robbed.....

dumont wasent rob, he didnt perform up to par, people dont know this, do the math:

5 hits vs 7

all left spins VS a mix of left/right from tanner

amplitude vs video game perfection style/tech and landings

the sport is gearing more towards style and tech not amplitude in the pipe anymore, sure its a crowd pleaser, but they dont decide the results, maybe in big air, but not pipe.

The judges were just bitching because T Hall got more hits out of the pipe than Dumont. They were using him as a role model of what the other skiers should do in their run, which makes sense, his runs were perfect.

dumont wasent rob, he didnt perform up to par, people dont know this, do the math:

5 hits vs 7

the sport is gearing more towards style and tech not amplitude in the pipe anymore, sure its a crowd pleaser, but they dont decide the results, maybe in big air, but not pipe.

If they're aren't judging so much towards amplitude, then how come Andreas placed so low?

Edited by Justin

The judges were just bitching because T Hall got more hits out of the pipe than Dumont. They were using him as a role model of what the other skiers should do in their run, which makes sense, his runs were perfect.

If they're aren't judging so much towards amplitude, then how come Andreas placed so low?

well the thing with andreas is that he was probably the lowest of any of the skiers, and im sure the judges need a default for the amplitude since it is a category, however ampltude does not outweight number of hits, style, tech, landings, etc

5 hits vs 7

Word... So good to see half pipe - do I dare say progress?

Nice to see pipe going to a whole new level. In spite of the lameness of the announcers, they did a great job of hyping to the general public. Thank goodness the judges favored the more varied hits (tanner) than Simons big air spinning all the same way. Pipe and comps would have taken a step in the wrong direction had Simon one. IMO!!!

Don't get me wrong, I screamed holy shit! at Simons 3rd run, 1st hit, the same way backflips amaze people watching from the lifts, that huge hit was amazing, but it is the whole run that counts, not one hit. That freakin Aspen crowd was the same way, they couldn't see the technicality of Tanners run but could see Simons 20 foot boost 5 feet higher than everyone else. Stupidly ignorant mob mentality ruined some aspects of that comp for me.

BTW - Tanner told Simon that he is the better skier, but that he should have spun both ways. Props to Tanner for not having the previous years bullshit speeches and I am super stoked to see him give a nod to the olympics! I tend to agree with Tanner, had Simon spun both ways and grabbed he should have won. The bigger debate is on the 3rd place finish. Colby was impressive no doubt, in some ways I think he should have finished better than Simon.

As time goes on it will be interesting to see how this comp interfaces with the FIS and USSA comps. Style versus Height and Spinning. and................ No disrespect to snowboarding - but I really hope they compare skiing and snowboarding 1/2 pipe Saturday night.

Warning.. Claim....... I am super stoked to know that we will be in Aspen to watch the slopestyle on Sunday. WOOOOOT!

Agreed.... There apparently is some politics/marketing/TV hype going on. Andreas run was like a smaller version of Tanners run. I can't wait to start watching recaps of runs on youtube. I am betting that in a few weeks, more will say that Simon should have scored lower than he did. Tanner, Andreas, Colby, Simon - should have been the results IMO!

Judging percentages, criteria and formulas for the X games should be published. I am sure that all those judges were dead on with thier assesments, just not too sure about the formula.

I totally agree with papasteeze when it came towards the crowd. What was up with them throwing snowballs at tanner?

I read some good analogies of the persona in the crowds.. something along the lines of a bunch of Areyx/spider wearing joeys with out a clue as to whether they were watching big air or half pipe.