TR 1/26

n0xidee

Got back a little bit ago from a decent day at Ski Roundtop. I am chillen at my cousins house this weekend and it was about a 30 minute drive to the mountain. I didn't get there in time for first chair. I slacked after a night of drinking and made it there 30 mins after opening. When I pulled up the lower lot was roped off and saying no more spots, but then I saw that it is for season pass holders only. The upper lot isn't that far, and they have shuttles running all the time.

Conditions were great. They must have blown A LOT of snow. Fresh cord was everywhere and the grooming was great. The mountain is really small so it must be easy for them to cover the terrain quickly. It was a bluebird morning which was great because the snow was soft and carvable, but not all that slow.

I don't know any of the names of the runs but I started with a whole bunch of the one that goes right along the quad. They have some rollers on the sides that I was getting some small air off of and pulling some steezy spread eagles. After about 10 runs I went to the skiers right side of the mountain to hit Gunbarrel and Ramrod. I don't remember which one is which but one has the really steep top, and the other has bumps. I was not a big fan of either. The steep one is only steep for about 15 yards, smaller than Falls at Blue. It was all dug out and you had to go basically down chutes and then hit bumps. Just not fun. Then the whole bottom was really choppy and full of just random bumps here and there. They should really groom the bottom part. Would make it much better. The other double black had bumps on the top. They were terrible. No rhythm and really pushed out from kids on snowboards that get over there, then just slide down.

I did each of them a few times then went back to the other side. I did a bunch of runs mixing it up between the two diamonds and one blue run. All in all it was a pretty good day. It never got real crowded which was nice. Snow stayed great. The locals are very friendly. Every single chairlift that I was sitting with someone, they would start up a conversation.

Only downside of the mountain is the size. You spend more time on the lift because the runs are SO short. I have never made less turns before on a run. Also there is no high speed lift which is ok cause of the size but then your sitting more than skiing.

Peace out

I'm sure your spread eagles were nice, but not nearly as nice as mine.

I dunno, I am pretty flexible. I can get the legs pretty spread.

It is a nice little mountain and they do a good job with it. The locals said today was the best day all season so I think I got lucky.

glad you had a good time this past weekend. as for the gunbarrel and ramrod, the headwalls of both are not groomed on a regular basis right yet. we've made alot of snow in the past 2 weeks, much of it was really nice powder. with the headwalls of both those slopes, when its powder, its very difficult to groom them when the snow is so soft. usually they are left go at these times. gunbarrel right now has no base snow, its all powder ontop of grass. we don't have a winch cat here, so the only way to groom that is to go down, and when its all powder, you go for a hell of a ride. i've only groomed it once last year, and i'll never do it again. we had a guy go down it last night and he ended up sliding the cat sideways. its just not safe to groom at this point and time. actually, in the history of that slope, one groomer has ever been able to climb that headwall. but anyway, i'd just thought i'd give you a little info on why we decide to groom or not to groom a slope. again, glad you had a good time here, and hope you come back soon