Vermont

paolo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? Keep your little fucking site. Too many pissing contests here. I thought it was all about putting out and getting back good information.... nah here it's a little boys club. Piss piss piss.

Eh if you're gonna take things seriously like that then I'd recommend staying away from any forum type site. You provided some nice input in some of the threads lately, so I'd encourage you to stick around. If you stick around a little longer you'll learn that the people hating on you just want to bust your balls a little bit.

Yeah there is a ton of info that can be found, but if nobody in your group has any experience then would they know how to take a snow sample, know what a snow pit is or even how to read a cross section. They wouldn't know the difference between a northface vs a southface after 11am warmup. They wouldn't know whether or not to avoid a snow pillow or blast off it.

What makes OB skiing out west any more dangerous than east coast? Cmon, you know the answer to that. Accessability. Just a 5 minute hike at most places out west can put you in a slide-prone area. Now you tell me. How many places on the east can a 5 minute hike put you right in the middle of a slide-prone area? WHAT THE FUCK?

You know what? Keep your little fucking site. Too many pissing contests here. I thought it was all about putting out and getting back good information.... nah here it's a little boys club. Piss piss piss.

T*Maki's post makes me want to answer this a little more seriously.

Basic knowledge can keep you safe in the Backcountry with minimal experience. Read the avy report, understand what is has to say. Read it every day, not just the days you go out. Understand and practice with your beacon/probe. No replacement for practice here. Watch for basic signs of instability, and when the forcast indicates human triggered slabs are possible stay out of avalanche terrain and runout unless you have some well developed skills at assessing snowpack. "A Dozen More Turns" shows how decision making is a WAY bigger factor than experience or knowledge.

More to the point of my orginal post. I disliked your comment about O.B. only in the west requires caution. 5 minute hike or 4 hour hike, if you get in avalanche terrain, you should have an idea what you are doing. East coast or "out west".

T*Maki's post makes me want to answer this a little more seriously.

Basic knowledge can keep you safe in the Backcountry with minimal experience. Read the avy report, understand what is has to say. Read it every day, not just the days you go out. Understand and practice with your beacon/probe. No replacement for practice here. Watch for basic signs of instability, and when the forcast indicates human triggered slabs are possible stay out of avalanche terrain and runout unless you have some well developed skills at assessing snowpack. "A Dozen More Turns" shows how decision making is a WAY bigger factor than experience or knowledge.

More to the point of my orginal post. I disliked your comment about O.B. only in the west requires caution. 5 minute hike or 4 hour hike, if you get in avalanche terrain, you should have an idea what you are doing. East coast or "out west".

Your 100% right and there is stuff that is 5 minutes OB in the east that will kill you. The Slides, most of Mansfield, Remember Alec Stall ? (that traverse wasn't five minutes but wasn't hours of skining either)

Experiance and knowledge can significantly reduce your possibility of being killed or serious injured in an avalanch but never elminate it completley. A gentlemen who I took WFAR with and had Avy 3 level training rode that train to the white room last year. There is alot of BC in the east and though it isn't on the West's quality and scale, slides happen frequently. The whites were going off yesterday additionally I have heard many reports from trusted friends about small slides on Mansfield yesterday.

Report on the Stall incident

http://www.stowemountainrescue.org/Stall_R...tall_Report.pdf

GSS did you ever get out to Bear Pond in the winter when you were at UVM ? I want to check this area out but it may be a waste.