Vermont

paolo

Johnny, that bottom pic looks very familiar. Is that Magic Mtn by any chance? I've done some sick skiing at Magic. A buddy of mine had access to the mountain via snowmobile and we'd take turns running each other and friends up when we weren't able to get back to the lifts. I hope they get hit with big snow late in the season like they did last year. Good Times!

Stowe but Magic is good isn't it? Red line can be mad cool

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in PA the most...VT the second most when I was at UVM...and Montana for two years when I was a skibum...on a scale of 1 to 100...

PA gets a 10

VT gets a 30

The Rockies get a 100

I love skiing Stowe and there are some challenging spots..the same with Mad River Glen but the terrain is not comparable to out west out all..It's tough to open it up in tight trees and there are millions and millions of people within a days drive..I've skied Stowe on a one foot powder day and every nook and cranny gets tracked up while out west the tight trees remain untouched for days..For Jib-honks it doesn't matter..there's big mo-fo booters and rails everywhere..but for free-skiing the west wins out by a landslide. As I get older and have more $$$$ and vacation time..I see myself skiing Vermont less and out west more...Vermont is good for bumps and trees but there needs to be a nice dump like the early April storms I skied at Stowe to make it Epic. Jackson Hole in my mind is Epic even on a hardpack day due to the steep and gnarly terrain...just my inflation adjusted two cents..

In the east you have to leave the trail map to get the pow alot of the time but I certainly agree with what you saying. I love VT but I would move back west in a second if it was totally up to me.

Its just that I can get to Jay in 24 hours if I know it is going to snow whereas the fact that it is going to snow in UT tommorow doesn't really help me as all the prep takes some time. So you add pow days you would never have because you can go last last minute.

Im thinking about taking a trip to vermont. Ive never been there before, only pa and a bit out west. From what Ive heard on newschoolers.com it is shitty but idk a bunch of those kids are spoiled and rich. Is it worth it to go up?

Most people on NS are from cities and ski/ride less than a dozen days a season. So, yeah, def listen to them about Vermont.

main-chip.jpg

I think we've met Metzy's angry older brother, perhaps?

Sweet..it looks like it's going to stay cold and snowy until then...I know Knuckle-Dan is going to Jay Peak next week so the glades there should be banging..

I'll admit up until today I was getting nervous about the conditions. It was nirvana back in December and I thought we had used up our luck.

If Robin's Run is open then they've gotten a boatload of snow.

We'll be stompin' in the glades for sure.

For me obviously VT is not out west, but it is a big step up from PA and NJ. I just like having longer runs, if you double the height of a mountain the trails are about 6x longer because its not like these mountains are 45 degrees the whole way down. The snow is honestly about the same because they get more natural but they also don't have 100% snowmaking like we do, so its kind of a wash unless you are in the glades. The terrain is just so much more fun up there though.

As for going up vs going west, you can do a pretty cheap weekend up in VT, we usually stay at a nice little hotel like 20 minutes from the mountain, spend $200 or so for the weekend, and drive home. Its only about $40 a day more than going to PA would be. Since I drive an hour to PA anyway, I get 4 hours of driving for 2 days of skiing in PA, or 8 hours of driving for 2 days in vermont, its not much of a difference. Going out west would require an airplane ticket which is going to be 250-350 if you can find a good fair, on top of the other stuff. So I can go to VT about twice as much as out west. When I'm working part time and doing school, I just can't afford to go out west. But after school is done and I'm working full time, I'll be going west rather than north.

Good to hear that you have some back area experience. I can't stress this enough... If you venture out of bounds (out west), then please go with a group or guide that has experience in that specific area and always go prepared.

Really? Someone had to get out there first. There is so much information available that you can get in the back country without anyone in your crew being there before. It sure sounds like he's doing some slack country stuff though, and I would venture to guess he did so without B,P,S or any knowledge about the snowpack. For some of our side country stuff, it's under the resort and totally gladed. Pretty safe stuff. In another portion I saw a natural slide a few weeks ago.

And what makes out of bounds "out west" any more dangerous than O.B. stuff in the north east? Your so found of bringing up Tucks, which is known to have slides, likewise for the backcountry in the ADKs. I assume vermont has 30 degree slopes and has stability issues as well.

Really? Someone had to get out there first. There is so much information available that you can get in the back country without anyone in your crew being there before. It sure sounds like he's doing some slack country stuff though, and I would venture to guess he did so without B,P,S or any knowledge about the snowpack. For some of our side country stuff, it's under the resort and totally gladed. Pretty safe stuff. In another portion I saw a natural slide a few weeks ago.

And what makes out of bounds "out west" any more dangerous than O.B. stuff in the north east? Your so found of bringing up Tucks, which is known to have slides, likewise for the backcountry in the ADKs. I assume vermont has 30 degree slopes and has stability issues as well.

Agreed....though even in the ADK and Whites avy danger is significantly lower in general than West Tuxs is probably the large exception to that rule.

Yeah there is a ton of info that can be found, but if nobody in your group has any experience then would they know how to take a snow sample, know what a snow pit is or even how to read a cross section. They wouldn't know the difference between a northface vs a southface after 11am warmup. They wouldn't know whether or not to avoid a snow pillow or blast off it.

What makes OB skiing out west any more dangerous than east coast? Cmon, you know the answer to that. Accessability. Just a 5 minute hike at most places out west can put you in a slide-prone area. Now you tell me. How many places on the east can a 5 minute hike put you right in the middle of a slide-prone area? WHAT THE FUCK?

You know what? Keep your little fucking site. Too many pissing contests here. I thought it was all about putting out and getting back good information.... nah here it's a little boys club. Piss piss piss.

You know what? Keep your little fucking site. Too many pissing contests here. I thought it was all about putting out and getting back good information.... nah here it's a little boys club. Piss piss piss.

You're funny. I'm sad to see you leave.