I hate ski patrol

zaldon

Last night i was riding at camelback and their are two rangers one on skis the other on a snowboard. They come across a single ski poll on a trail marked as a green circle. So the Patrol Ranger on skis tells the one on the snowboard to pick up the poll. so hit sits down beside the poll, grabes it and trys to get up, but he lacked the skill to stand up and started to slid down the mountian. the next time me and my brother were on the lift we saw the same two Rangers, but this time the snowboarder was trying to teach some girl how to snowboard.

:lol:lol:lol

You need to clarify some of your terminology. Patrollers are the guys in red jackets with white crosses. They rarely interfere with skiers and riders except to help them in medical situations. Rangers are the evil, power hungry ski Nazis who attempt to over-regulate every aspect of the hill. They wear the yellow jackets and are the bane of many a skiier at CB. I don't care if you bash on rangers, but spare the patrollers, rangers just give them a bad name.

I think I saw the same Rangers you were talking about...

But I was on honeymoon lane last night, a nice trail to have some fun on, when it's not packed. So a ranger is infront of me, I stop, let him go so I can rip. I give him a good minute or so. So I start rippin some GS arcs (in which Dthmtluncrn saw :P ) and of course, as I round the bend, hes sittin right there waiting. That can't be fun. Ski for 300 feet, stop and watch for some kid just practicing his technique. He didn't stop me, but there was no one else on the trail, and I saw no need for him to stop? Blah, i'll never get them.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wouldn't wan't you folks thinking any less of the ski patrol. We are just trying to keep your experience from completely sucking.

Every ski patrol guy I've met--or raced with-- at CB has been cool. Even the 120 year old guy. Every Ranger I've ever been around at CB has been a dick. That's just my experience, but I've spent a lot of days and nights over the years there before DaveK was the final straw in me hating the place.

the ski patrol guy who interviewed me yesterday was real nice. he asked me how the conditions were for the night, and how they were for the jump i went off, because a half hour earlier a kid fell on his head and had to get medivacted out.

the ski patrol guy who interviewed me yesterday was real nice. he asked me how the conditions were for the night, and how they were for the jump i went off, because a half hour earlier a kid fell on his head and had to get medivacted out.

yup, i saw the chopper taking off, it certainly was a night to get hurt...

Yeah, I saw an ambulance on the way there, and right when we arrived the medivac was coming in. Is the injury the reason they closed the park?

probably, because at around 9 I swung by the park, which, btw, I damaged my skis on a rock or chunk of ice on Birches. Right thru the base, thank god for the CB repair shop. But yea, the park was closed, but someone had busted through the gate....

I still think that its amazing that someone can go in a park, hit their head, and it would be anyone elses fault other than their own. It's that mentality that makes everything around here suck.

Canada can have some sick stuff, crazy bike parks in the middle of the city, tons of stuff like that. Its because its generally thought of, if you mess up its your own fault. I don't claim to know what all is involved with all that, but I really think they're doing something right, and we're doing something wrong.

I still think that its amazing that someone can go in a park, hit their head, and it would be anyone elses fault other than their own.  It's that mentality that makes everything around here suck.

Canada can have some sick stuff, crazy bike parks in the middle of the city, tons of stuff like that.  Its because its generally thought of, if you mess up its your own fault.  I don't claim to know what all is involved with all that, but I really think they're doing something right, and we're doing something wrong.

True, but there may be other reasons besides just being at "fault" for shutting down the park. If there is an injury they have to do like a report on it. Which means they look at the area and investigate conditions, people's stories blah blah blah. Basically this means a portion of the trail is unusable, so since its the park, and its small to start with, not neccessary for traffic reasons etc. they may have felt, that it would be better not to have people on the trail during investigation.

True, but there may be other reasons besides just being at "fault" for shutting down the park. If there is an injury they have to do like a report on it. Which means they look at the area and investigate conditions, people's stories blah blah blah. Basically this means a portion of the trail is unusable, so since its the park, and its small to start with, not neccessary for traffic reasons etc. they may have felt, that it would be better not to have people on the trail during investigation.

:lol: sounds like a new show CSI:terrain park. But seriously, I never knew they had to fill out a report when someone gets hurt. :confused

:lol: sounds like a new show CSI:terrain park. But seriously, I never knew they had to fill out a report when someone gets hurt.  :confused

The rangers are the ones that investigate and fill out an accident report. They're the ones that conduct on slope interviews . They're also usually the first ones on the scene of an incident and if you're the one laying there in pain , you don't care what color his jacket is. They're not all d---s you know.

PAX

:lol: sounds like a new show CSI:terrain park. But seriously, I never knew they had to fill out a report when someone gets hurt.  :confused

Yeah there was a real nasty one last year on Julius Ceasar on a super icey choppy night. They took took a beginner coarse that was already to narrow and shuttled everyone through a 4 ft wide channel. It was HORRIBLE. It really made things so much more dangerous. It kinda sucked because I'm sure they wanted to break from protocol for safety reasons, but they had to fill out their report. When they reopend that part of the trail, there was blue paint on the trail, maybe some other markings (can't remember), but the blue paint was definately on the trail.

The rangers are the ones that  investigate and fill out an accident report. They're  the ones that conduct on slope interviews .  They're also usually the first ones on the scene of an incident and if you're the one laying there in pain , you don't care what color his jacket is. They're not all d---s you know.

PAX

no this was a ski patrol guy, not a ranger. in fact i think i may have only seen one ranger in the group of 4 and the rest were ski patrol

I remember that night.  The one ranger wouldnt stop blowing his whistle at people, as if the added noise from his whistle would help the situation

I think (and I am assuming you are talking about this in refrence to an accident) but they really want to make sure everyone sees, and goes on the other side of the trail, so no one gets crashed into....Idk, standard procedure I guess :confused

Do u think they'd get upset if I stood at the edge of the trail in my yellow jacket and whistled and waved at people? :devil:

I had a friend who used to go down trails blowing a whistle. It was really funny, because everyone slowed down, and got out of the way. I don't know if he still does it, haven't ridden with him in 2 years.

Greg, as far as I know you can do that. Maybe if you get asked to stop, and if you don't then you can get in trouble....But nothing says you can't.

However if you go down the trail yelling, "OHHH DEAR, WATCH OUT!!" people clear out of your way ;)