Winter Park TR

nick malozzi

So I have a few days of freedom here in Boulder before becoming a weekend warrior. So I met up with Glenn today at Winter Park, and here is how it all went down:

Woke up to about 6inches of fresh snow here in Boulder. So it took me a little longer to get on the road then I hoped, but I made it. The drive to WP is absolutely beautiful (but most of the rockies are I suppose). Didn't get to take in a lot of the sights though since I had to pay fairly close attention to the road since they were still a bit sloppy.

post-9-1203034455_thumb.jpgpost-9-1203034540_thumb.jpg

I arrived in the parking lot at like 9:35 or so, and Glenn came to my car to meet up. I put the rest of my gear on, and we got on our way. I'll be honest I was a bit nervous, cause I haven't been to a larger resort in quite a few years due to school/work. I knew Glenn had been riding like everyday for the last couple month, and I didn't want to hold him back.

We started out with two tree runs, and they were nice sick. Glenn did a nice drop on the second one from pillow to pillow, I opted to just scout it for him since I am currently without health insurance, but in 90days when it kicks in I'll be hucking myself off stuff as well. I did manage to get a sweet shot of him as he did it, despite the fact he almost ran me over, haha.

post-9-1203034647_thumb.jpg

After the first two runs I was feeling good, I got my tree confidence up. So it was all gravy baby. I commented on the lift that I had yet to be above tree line. So we headed to the Panoramic lift, goober central, but it took us to the top where I got to experience some above tree action.

post-9-1203034735_thumb.jpg

After that we went and checked out some side country action, which was absolutely amazing. Glenn will tell you it was just ok, but I thought it was gorgeous. We came out on the road. So we hiked like a quarter mile and grabbed up a shuttle to the base area.

post-9-1203034823_thumb.jpg

Then we grabbed some lunch at the lodge Glenn works at, and met up with his friend Lindsay. We did a few more runs, and lost Lindsay in the trees somewhere. My legs were burning hard around like 1:30 or so, and my lungs were starting to cry for lower elevation. So we did two more runs to get back to the lot my car was in. I was at my car and back on the road by like 2:30. I really didn't want to leave, but I have been saving money to make this move instead of using it to ride. So I've got to get back in shape now.

The way to the mtn, I bypassed much of route 6 via 70, but decided to hop off 70 early and take 6 in since I had some free time and all. It was freaking awesome. Such a great rode, tunnels, people ice climbing water falls right off the road, great cliffs, and all sort of rock to make even a beginner climber drool. So needless to say I almost ran off the road a number of times as I was ogling cracks, roofs, and gear placement. Check out my new facebook album to see the above photos, some more while on the mtn, and some the shots I was able to grab of scenic route 6.

All and all a great day, thanks Glenn for showing me around, and keep ripping bro. I'll be back again real soon. Peace!

damn, a day late. im heading up there tomorrow to shred some gnar with him. unless hes too tired

Yea man Glenn told me you were coming up tomorrow. I was thinking about sticking for a night and riding tomorrow too, but I have to stop by work tomorrow to meet the rest of the staff and get all my paperwork in order.

No worrys though about Glenn, he is a machine. Have fun bro.

Good riding with you today Nick. I wish the conditions were a little better, but you seemed stoked on what we rode, which is really what it's all about. Thanks for snapping that pic too, came out pretty well. Dave didn't believe the snow was bad because it was all blowing up in that picture.

damn, a day late. im heading up there tomorrow to shred some gnar with him. unless hes too tired

I'll get out and ride, but I don't know how hard. I messed up my knee dropping onto a flat landing with hardpack. If the snow is soft and the knee is feeling better I'll be down for dropping some stuff. If not I'll just cruise with you guys wherever.

above treeline = siiiick

Parsen bowl is not sick. It is cool to get up there though at least once. We do have the highest 6-pack in North America, doncha know.

for sure.

pretty sick day today. lots of sun and really warm. we've been getting lucky with storm cycles lately, foot+ dumps all week then sunny and warm all weekend. thanks for coming out glenn.

Good times for sure. If we get some good snow I'll give you a call. It sounds like Matt was stoked on the terrain, we just need the snow to make it happen. Next soft day we have I think I'm going to hit that big 4 step pillow line in the mushroom patch.

I just got back. It was really good, especially hiking over the vasquez cirque: real steep with good snow. Also the terrain park was fun but I barely spent any time in there. Mostly I stayed in the area of the chutes off Mary Jane and the trees around Eagle Wind. In both places it was pretty easy to find stashes of powder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...