22' Super Pipe Opening this weekend

snoskier

from the pics on sno's website it still looks a long way off. maybe only 200 ft. and the walls only look about 10 ft. high at the bottom. it's hard to tell from those angles though so i could be wrong.

They have a pole sticking up in the middle thats 25 feet and the snow is that high so its deff atleast 22ft. And its around 280-300ish feet.

O.K so a Superpipe should be about 500 feet??? Someone with a helmet cam needs to ride/ski through the pipe so we can all see how huge the thing is..Is 22 feet as big as Superpipes get???

500' seems good. The X-Games pipe was about that, with 18' walls. Tanner Hall was getting 7 hits out of it...

so with a long and steep in-run the better riders might get 4 hits?

I was getting 4 hits out of Blue's pipe. I could of got more but I carved the left side wall too much.

If Sno's pipe is seriously 300'...the in-run better be super steep. Otherwise I will be disappointed.

Race trails at ski areas with small vert build ramps. Buck Hill in Minnesota is just 300 vert, so they built a 35 ft tall platform out of wood. Racers reach full speed pretty much at the first gate. When I worked at Mount Tom, we built a 40 ft ramp entirely out of snow just to add some fun to the season ending beer league races.

Why can't they just build a ramp for a pipe?

Race trails at ski areas with small vert build ramps. Buck Hill in Minnesota is just 300 vert, so they built a 35 ft tall platform out of wood. Racers reach full speed pretty much at the first gate. When I worked at Mount Tom, we built a 40 ft ramp entirely out of snow just to add some fun to the season ending beer league races.

They generally put a very large roller in front to drop in from. And 300' is no where near long enough for a 22 foot pipe. It should be at least 500'.

They need access from that direction with the cat to push snow downhill into it, a ramp would get in the way. Mountain Creek used to finish the pipe, then bring up a pile of haybails the day before and just push snow over the top of it to open it up. I don't know what happened to hte hay at the end of the year though, seems like it would be pretty messy. Dirt grading is ok but you have to be able to push snow over it, so the structure would have to be able to support the weight of the cat too.