Broken Boots

lurker

I was up at Camelback on Monday, and I had taken about 5 runs. I was heading toward Marc Antony when all of a sudden I felt my ski pre-release for no reason at all.

When I came to a stop, and lifted my foot off of the ski, my heel stayed behind in the binding. The heel piece freakin' ripped right off! So I skiied down on one ski, and camelback tech shop couldn't fix it. Then I took it to the loft and they said it was a manufacturers defect, and it wasn't fixable. They said, if Atomic warrenties it (its about 1 month out of warrenty of course), it will be about 2-4 weeks until I get new boots, or the old one fixed!

Right now I've got some rental boots that don't fit right, and a trip to Killington and out west where I'll probably have to use crappy non-fitting boots. I mean it could be worse, I could not be going at all, but still... I really wish there was a better way.

So pretty much, anyone have some spare Atomic 30.5cm boots to spare :P? I just need them for abit, I swear!

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could get some good boots temporarily for cheap, or get my old ones back faster, please tell!

Uhhh... They were R-9s. I got them October 2003, so I used them last season and the beginning of this season. I suppose they were 2003 models? Maybe 2004 I'm not sure.

Its sorta hard to find good boots with a 30.5cm foot.

rent outg a pair like last years model for the season or w/e

it will be better than other boots and usually last years models haven't been worn yet and r cheaper like 75 bucks for my boots this season

(i board) so i mean try the loft or nestors

kinda off topic but lake tahoe got 118 inches of snow almost 10 FT

Edited by boarder1547

Just checked ebay, but its so hard to know if the boot is going to fit right or not. I don't race, and I enjoy just freeskiing (what little there is at CB) and freestyle also, so I want something a little flexy. I also have a very slim foot, but its a 13 so the boot has to be long. It was pretty hard to find a boot that fit right, but the Atomic one was pretty good I think.

I'm going to try calling Atomic and asking them if they could cross-ship for something as weird as this, if I have a authorized reseller confirm that its not my fault and a manufacturer defect. I know its a longshot, but what do I have to lose. Skiing is a community, so hopefully Atomic will realize the situation I'm in and help me out.

Called them and they basically said, that they will get them out within 4 days of when they recieve them, but they can't ship until they see the product. So it looks like I'm gettin' 'em back around the 19th if everything goes as planned.

Not in time for my trip, but there will be more of those I guess. I was more concerned about my trip out west, because I only get about 1 of those every couple years, so I want my boots! Haha.

Thanks for the help guys

Called them and they basically said, that they will get them out within 4 days of when they recieve them, but they can't ship until they see the product.  So it looks like I'm gettin' 'em back around the 19th if everything goes as planned.

Not in time for my trip, but there will be more of those I guess.  I was more concerned about my trip out west, because I only get about 1 of those every couple years, so I want my boots!  Haha.

Thanks for the help guys

At least they're "free". I don't suppose FedEx'ing was an option?

Yeah, FedEx sucks. They destroy anything they don't outright lose. FedEx also steals your stuff. Ever see the airport security camera news story that showed the baggage handlers sifting through suitcases and stealing things?

They learned that from FedEx.

Go Brown!

Yeah, FedEx sucks. They destroy anything they don't outright lose. FedEx also steals your stuff. Ever see the airport security camera news story that showed the baggage handlers sifting through suitcases and stealing things?

They learned that from FedEx.

Go Brown!

Yeah, well the store where I work spent too much money replacing or repairing stuff they sent via UPS, so if it's fragile, they now use FedEx. BUT the local FedEx delivery guy doesn't have the stones to drive to my house and leaves things in town and I have to call around trying to find out where he left it. He never asked me if this is okay. Unless the sender gives me the tracking number so I can find it, I might never get things. UPS delivers to the door. So, I send out via Fed Ex and have things come in via UPS.

Nah... I can't control what shipping The Loft uses. I just hope they send it out soon.

I build computers and most of the parts come through FedEx for me. I've never had any problems with them at all besides one very odd time. I was suppose to get 2 packages full of parts and a case and everything came but the case. I checked the shipping and it said it was signed by M. Casaneda or something like that. I'd never heard of him, so as I searched around I found it was delievered to Games 3 - Stroud Mall. After arguing with the Games 3 guy for a while and driving down there I finally picked it up and drove back home. Very Weird...

Edited by lurker

Looks like they didn't get scanned when loaded in SLC, I don't know where Fedex has it's main intermediate hub, but probably in the area of chicago, where ours is. I would expect to see data today or tomorrow as they get to that mid-point and switch trucks... Stupid fedex :)

haha, Mr. UPS knows his stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Well It took a week or two, but Atomic finally gave me some new boots on the 26th of January. The upside is that I sent in beatup 2003 R-9s and got back brandnew 2005 T-9s. Same boot, with a better design, and tons of little knobs to adjust everything. They are really way way better than my old boots. Canting, forward lean, cuff, all sorts of adjustments.

Moral of this story, if you can stand skiing rental boots for 2 weeks, and want new shiny boots, break your heelpiece.