Closing Date and hikable park

BC-Mark

We are going to close on Saturday, March 22nd at 4pm. Visits have been declining rapidly and after we receive 1" to 2" of rain over the next 36 hours, what interest remains will be pretty well killed off.

After we have a day to regroup and push some snow around on Sunday, we will reopen on Monday with a hikeable park on lower Kodiak. It will most likely run from just below the Sasquatch intersection down to the base area. We haven't set a price yet for a ticket, but pass holders will be allowed to ride at no cost. We will operate from 4pm to 7pm Monday through Friday. We will be closed weekends. At this point, we will run the park for at least a week, if attendance is good, we will keep going as long as conditions and attendance allow.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bummer about the closing and attendance, but the hikeable park is sick idea and im definately thankful that you guys are doing this.

to whoever it was that called me a moron for bringing it up last season and said they would never do anything like that, jokes on you. because they did it.

THATS THE STUPIDEST THING IVE EVER HEARD!!!!!!! why the heck not on weekend???? what about those of us who have school during the week???? How are we supposed to ride??? why wouldnt you open on weekends when everybody CAN go??? I mean the hikeable park is a good idea but please reconsider the no weekends idea...i think that is a VERY stupid idea.

They probably have other events that are planning for the weekend days that they'd like to use their outdoor facilities for. Spring weddings, banquets, conferences, yada yada. I know I'd wanna get married on their patio while a bunch of teens hoot and holler in the background... Get your mom to drive you up after school one or two days and be stoked they're doing anything like this at all.

I mean its not like it would cost you anything if theres no lifts or lights running, so why cant you open on weekends...this is when you would be getting the most people coming anyway. People like me who go to college, and even younger kids are not going to be able to make it during the week...You would still be making money on people who came and bought tix on the weekends and you could even clear out all you food for cheap in a little tent at the bottom of the hill...please reconsider the no weekends thing for people like me, i think you would actually be LOSING business if you dont open on the weekends. I know alot of people that wont be able to make it up on the weekend and will instead just wait and go to Boulder on the weekend. I think it would be wise for both you and us (the riders for you to stay open on the weekends) I can also GUARANTEE you alot of media exposure if you open on the weekends as well. Your gonna get alot more people coming on saturdays and sundays to film and take pictures then you will during the week. I really hope all these points persuade you to change your mind about no weekends and if they didnt i can come up with a couple more....PLEASEEEEE open on the weekends, I dont see how it could hurt.

They probably have other events that are planning for the weekend days that they'd like to use their outdoor facilities for. Spring weddings, banquets, conferences, yada yada. I know I'd wanna get married on their patio while a bunch of teens hoot and holler in the background... Get your mom to drive you up after school one or two days and be stoked they're doing anything like this at all.

Nice dude but i go to college and hour and a half away, im not in preschool anymore, but thanks

Edited by nick

Note for further posts...

When trying to make a persuasive argument through writing, it is often helpful to make sure that it does not cause pain to the eyes of those reading your argument. The manufacturer of your keyboard has equipped it with an "Enter" key, as well as a "Shift" key, and finally, a "Spacebar." Making use of these features benefits not only yourself but the community as a whole.

im not in preschool anymore

Exactly! The only one that knows you're at Bear instead of in class is you!

Hey Everyone,

Glad to see alot of people stoked on the idea of the Hike Park. I would like to use this time to build features that can't typically be built under normal operating restraints. I have a couple ideas that im already planning for Sunday nights build, but if there is something that you would like to see for a good session or for filming, decribe it in depth on here or post a picture or drawing that can accurately depict what youd like to see. The more detail the better. Please keep in mind that as warmer weather and rain come through the area, it will be a stuggle to build some larger sized features. Let's have some end of the year fun, so leave attitudes at home and lets have a great vibe that is fun for everyone who wants to ride a bit more this season!!! Andy

When trying to make a persuasive argument through writing, it is often helpful to make sure that it does not cause pain to the eyes of those reading your argument. The manufacturer of your keyboard has equipped it with an "Enter" key, as well as a "Shift" key, and finally, a "Spacebar." Making use of these features benefits not only yourself but the community as a whole.

LOL!!!!!

This compliments what BB will be doing which is the converse. It is better than closing completely Nick.

WOW, thats all i have to say. Considering i was not typing an essay and had no need for more then one paragraph i dont see why i needed to press enter. As far as shift goes, dont think i was indenting to indent so...nope dont think i needed that either. Last but not least, im pretty sure that my spacing is pretty spot on, I dont see to many places where i should have put a space in there, actually come to think it, there are none. Im glad that you think your all powerful on here but i wasnt asking YOU to keep bear open on the weekends, I was merely presenting the idea to MARK not MAKI. Therefore i dont see any reason for YOU to be telling me that my idea is stupid or anything else like that. Thanks for correcting me on my grammar, or rather thank for trying, but i passed my english class in high school and if i wanted to write mark a formal letter i would have.

hmmm inverted rainbow!?!??? and def the bleacher at the BOTTOM of the run it ruins your line if its anywhere else......Also please set it up horizontally facing uphill

WOW, thats all i have to say. Considering i was not typing an essay and had no need for more then one paragraph i dont see why i needed to press enter. As far as shift goes, dont think i was indenting to indent so...nope dont think i needed that either. Last but not least, im pretty sure that my spacing is pretty spot on, I dont see to many places where i should have put a space in there, actually come to think it, there are none. Im glad that you think your all powerful on here but i wasnt asking YOU to keep bear open on the weekends, I was merely presenting the idea to MARK not MAKI. Therefore i dont see any reason for YOU to be telling me that my idea is stupid or anything else like that. Thanks for correcting me on my grammar, or rather thank for trying, but i passed my english class in high school and if i wanted to write mark a formal letter i would have.

shift doesnt indent :wub: Thats Tab also located on the keyboard

Edited by Youngbloodz

Hey Everyone,

Glad to see alot of people stoked on the idea of the Hike Park. I would like to use this time to build features that can't typically be built under normal operating restraints. I have a couple ideas that im already planning for Sunday nights build, but if there is something that you would like to see for a good session or for filming, decribe it in depth on here or post a picture or drawing that can accurately depict what youd like to see. The more detail the better. Please keep in mind that as warmer weather and rain come through the area, it will be a stuggle to build some larger sized features. Let's have some end of the year fun, so leave attitudes at home and lets have a great vibe that is fun for everyone who wants to ride a bit more this season!!! Andy

Ide like to see a quarter pipe with a high log on it. I dunno if you know what im talking about, BB had one. its just a quarter pipe with a log running long ways across it about 2 feet above it so you can air out and stall. I think some wooden stuff would be cool as well. I havent had a chance to ride the new rhythm section in tubing but ide certainly like to see a cool rhythm section with some jumps and maybe a rail or bonk or two thrown in. Also maybe a butter box combo like one of the short boxes set upwards to the butter box set down...that would be cool. I got some other good ideas that ill post later.

hmmm inverted rainbow!?!??? and def the bleacher at the BOTTOM of the run it ruins your line if its anywhere else......Also please set it up horizontally facing uphill

shift doesnt indent :wub: Thats Tab also located on the keyboard

My bad, I guess im gonna hear about that one now...

Edited by nick

Therefore i dont see any reason for YOU to be telling me that my idea is stupid or anything else like that.

Never said your idea was stupid or anything, in fact I couldn't agree with you more. I would love to see Bear keep the hiking park open on weekends, I was just just presenting some ideas for why they might not be doing so. If you really wanted me to I could rip apart your arguments AND your grammar, but I'm not trying to do that.

I'm not hating on you, I'm just criticizing the way you are delivering your argument to Bear's management because there are ways that are ten times more effective for you to do so.

edit: Apologies to all for trashing up this thread, just bored in class right now... Thanks to Bear for doing this, definitely tryin' to skip evening class one day next week and roll up.

Edited by T*Maki

so anyways...I have got to hand it to bear, they really listen to what there season pass holders want...I think that this hikesble park will bring profit in for them since really the only staff they are paying is gonna be the park crew and a couple ticket sellers. I mean hopefully people without passes will come because if there only keeping that area open there is a ton of snow they could push and possibly stay open for a good 2 or 3 more weeks easily. I think that it would be cool to have one jump at the bottom with two different sized hits, then places jibs everywhere else

T*Maki had a point though, I was reading this thread and skipped your post until he quoted it and then I went back and read it. If you don't make it easy to read, people won't. I fall victim to that when I write posts that are too long and people ignore it. Keep it simple.

As for his corrections, first off the shift key capitalizes not intends (thats tab) and that sounds obvious but you never capitalize anything in your post. I generally don't care about capitalization but it was just funny. My spelling sucks but Firefox has a spellcheck, beyond that endless paragraphs are the big thing. Don't bother indenting, don't bother with capital letters, don't bother with the ' in don't, none of that actually impacts what the message says, but put some line breaks in. When you start a new idea, put an empty line for those of us who skim (i.e. most people).

As for the hikeable park, that is awesome. But there are a few things I'm thinking, first and foremost, why no weekends? It seems obvious to me that you would make more money on the weekends so there must be some reason (someone mentioned weddings? but it seems a bit early for that). What is the reason? Secondly, I know BC Mark can't condone this officially, but come on, the hikeable park is obviously hikeable you could just go up before that time period or on the weekends. I would love it if you guys just left it until it just was completely unskiable. Mountain Creek used to do that and it would last until may, sure the strip of snow between features was about 2 feet wide, but they just left it up there. Locals groomed it, locals filled the dirt holes between features with snow from the piles remaining. Then the last 3 years after the season was done Mountain Creek sent cats up to push all the table tops out so that it would melt evenly, and removed all the rails. Obviously something was making them spend money to prevent people from using it (probably insurance). It would be cool if you guys just left the snow in some piles for people to use as jumps, maybe take the rails out so they don't get trashed but leave a few small hikeable tables, people will use them.

we should definetly push this hikeable park thing out to atleast 2 weeks maybe more. i know myself and many others will ride until there is more mud than snow.

Definetly an awesome idea though, props to bear creek!

Edited by Oakley21

i think that having bear open durring the weekend from like 9am till 5pm would be great

BUT i'm not about to start complaining because i think it is great that they are considering season pass holders/ park rats

- No lighting needed

- The normal light is better to film in

- There would probly be more people wanting to come out on the weekend

IDEAS

- Inverted Rainbow*

OR

- Inverted Rainbow to bonk*

- Quaterpipe with bonk i liked the log idea

- Nice 5 or 10 ft jump that is good for spinning

- Bleacher at the bottom of the run(facing uphill~how it is now~)

- 420 box DUG IN so it is fun to screw around on

- A little jump with the bonk in the middle

- Handrail rainbow

- The good flow, some are falling apart

- Flat bar rail

- Tire bonk (like at the rail jam)

- A flow to flow or something like that

- Flat down flow (set up with the 3 hits onto it)

i will probly think of more

Edited by Mini Zep