Closing Date and hikable park

BC-Mark

For the record I have no idea if they have weddings or anything scheduled, it was just a thought. When Blue has closed in the past with plenty of snow the reason we have been given is that they have banquets or other events scheduled that make it impossible to use the lodge/kitchen for both skiing and special events, so thats what I'm going off of. I know Bear is pretty busy with special events like weddings and whatnot, so I don't think that it is too much to assume.

After thinking about it more there could be plenty of reasons that Bear wants to close its skiing operations on weekends. To make staying open worth it, they probably have to offer this with as little cost to them as possible. For the type of people that a 4-7 session will attract it doesn't really require much to be in place besides someone at the desk and some first aid personnel. However, if you're going to be open weekends and attract more weekend type crowds you have to pay more people to be there, making something like this more prohibitive.

I certainly don't know for sure, just some musings...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea to be open only weekdays stems from the fact that there will be other mountains open offering a park with lift service and reduced ticket prices on weekends making it difficult to draw an appreciable crowd. Most of the schools in our area get out between 2:30pm and 3:00pm and the majority of our guests live within an hour. We are indeed trying to keep cost to a minimum so we want to run during times that don't require lights.

Weddings and other functions do not have a bearing on our ski activities. We have two ballrooms that we hold events in all winter. We do not allow the lodge to be booked after the first weekend in November or prior to the first full weekend in April.

To answer an earlier question about food service, we will have the Grille and Trails End Cafe open for food.

you have school from 4 to 7??? hmmmmmm

well i guess you will have to go to boulder on the weekends

Im in college, i have class 2 times a week that last till 5:30, and on other days it takes me and hour and a half to drive to bear. So stop sitting there, trying to play god, and prove me wrong. There are other people here in my boat as well.

As for that mark I know there is alot of people that would prefer not to drive that far, and if you make the stuff good enough people will come regardless. I think this is a cool idea but i think its going to backfire. The past week i had spring break and was up there everyday on the weekdays, and me and my friends pretty much had the park to ourselves. Your not gonna get alot of people coming out on weekdays. Why not just shut down the caf and minimize costs and stay open on weekends???? I know me and all the people i ride with would rather drive the 20 minutes to bear rather then the hour to boulder on the weekends.

Im in college, i have class 2 times a week that last till 5:30, and on other days it takes me and hour and a half to drive to bear. So stop sitting there, trying to play god, and prove me wrong. There are other people here in my boat as well.

As for that mark I know there is alot of people that would prefer not to drive that far, and if you make the stuff good enough people will come regardless. I think this is a cool idea but i think its going to backfire. The past week i had spring break and was up there everyday on the weekdays, and me and my friends pretty much had the park to ourselves. Your not gonna get alot of people coming out on weekdays. Why not just shut down the caf and minimize costs and stay open on weekends???? I know me and all the people i ride with would rather drive the 20 minutes to bear rather then the hour to boulder on the weekends.

look at it this way... they're trying something new. and they're going into it with a plan. every year they've been trying something new, and it's a trial and error procedure. right now they're doing what makes the most sense to them given what they have to work with. last year they didn't have a hike park. this year they're going to have one with limited hours. who knows what will happen next year?

until then, hey, skip a class or something. i'm already feeling a sick day coming on for tomorrow that only getting out and riding will cure...

I have to agree with Toast on this one. Bear Creek people complain more than other mountain on this forum. You should be happy that they are even doing this for you. They don't HAVE to stay open longer but they are trying something new. I know this a place to voice your opinion but when all you hear is bitching and moaning it gets old real quick. It is what it is, if you can't make then there are other options out there. Just be happy you can ride into April!

I have to agree with Toast on this one. Bear Creek people complain more than other mountain on this forum. You should be happy that they are even doing this for you. They don't HAVE to stay open longer but they are trying something new. I know this a place to voice your opinion but when all you hear is bitching and moaning it gets old real quick. It is what it is, if you can't make then there are other options out there. Just be happy you can ride into April!

oh hey thanks Bob. at least somebody else understands where i'm coming from.

i agree. aside from the fact that, yeah, i'm just happy they've stayed open this long and it's awesome they're trying the hike park, the more you bitch, the more you lessen the chance anyone is going to listen to anything you have to say, no matter how valid.

and the more you bitch while throwing insults and defensive bullsh*t like a petulant child, the more people cease to care about what you think.

i give two big ass thumbs up to bear for a great season despite the spastic weather, awesome service at the shop, and all of everyone's hard work. i'm sad it's almost over, but it's been fun.

hikablepark.jpg

thats a setup i sketched up. some things i kept in mind were:

1. limited space

2. everything allows progression.

3. nothing has to be super high off the ground or require a lot of snow to be made

4. hits for every level of rider

i tried to just make a fun park that has some flow and will keep people entertained

hikablepark.jpg

1. limited space

3. nothing has to be super high off the ground or require a lot of snow to be made

i tried to just make a fun park that has some flow and will keep people entertained

This looks like a good setup...I hope they have enough room to put something like this in...might be tough to hike something this long though, youd get tired REAL fast

The thing ide really like to see is a rhythm section with not only jumps but maybe like the metal rainbow thats up top on old cascade thrown in, and some bonks in the middle an stuff, i think that would be really cool....

Edited by nick

hikablepark.jpg

1. limited space

that looks like a really nice set up i hope park crew can get a chance to look at that

oakley diesigned a sick yet simple set up. and for the long hike... you dont have to hike the entire thing maybe jut like 2 features in a row just hike them... i hear the park is starting at the gun just above where sasquatch intersects with kodiak and ending in the base area.

I don't see why people are bitching. I'm actually stoked myself and I never really liked BC too much. I'll probably be up a few days next week after school...thats the perfect time for afterschool skiing.

people have already explained it. they cant go because of school type things. This includes me because of stupid track.

i say just go crazy and build a gap session jump.. like 60 feet long huge poppy lip and ginormous landing.. if you build a good jump i will regain all faith in bear creek.

That would be no fun to hike...and would probably take all the snow on the mountain to build.

it would be cool if they could put it on the bunny hill and just run the carpet thingy

and another thing is that im not bitching about anything i thinks its crazy that they have a hike park after closing but im just saying that i know alot of people that wont be able to go because its not open on weekends

bb is starting there weekends only thing this week so that meens everyone will go to bear during the week which will benefit them

Edited by lumilautailija