BURTON snowboard weight limits

Robert2

I've been board shopping and I run into this weight range issue.

I'm 5'6" so a board that is 157 comes up to my nose and that's good for me

as a carver but I thought rail and halfpipe riders like a shorter snowboard.

I've been riding 155 boards for the last 2 years and as I go to stores now to buy a new

board I have a sales clerk ask me how much I weigh and they check the chart on the

snowboards and its got these weight ranges:

157 125-175

161 140-190

165 150-200

which raises questions.

Will I break a 157 board because I weigh 225 pounds when dressed for snow because I

weigh 50 pounds more than the board was designed to carry?

Will the board perform extremely bad because I weigh 50 pounds more than the board

was designed to carry?

Will my extra 50 pounds make the board flex wildly and cause loss of control?

Does Burton expect me to buy their 165 because its designed to carry an adult?

A 165 would be taller than me!

I'm not a big fat man.

I'm a little old guy and most of the kids on the hill are taller than me so I just

can't figure how Burton ranges their boards.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R2, weight is the most important factor. Length becomes a bigger factor when you are concerned with float, fitting in trees, or spinning the board. If you are just carving, match the board to your weight so it flexes properly. Modern snowboard construction is such, if you are just carving it would be pretty unlikely for you to break whatever board you get on.

You should really demo boards...what length are your other 3 snowboards??

2 boards I rode the last two years are both SILENCE MRI 155.

I also have a LIQUID RANGE 156. Sort of a backup and loner board.

I never rode the Liquid.

My kids came last year for Boulder Midnight Madness and I lent them gear.

You can never have enough boards in the house when you have 3 kids with spouses who

all snowboard.

Back to me....

so this year I figured I'd buy Burton. My first board many years ago was a Burton hollow core

that cost $500 for just the deck and I rode that board for 5 years when I was an instructor.

So I figured buying this Burton Air 157 was good for me on length but raises these questions

about what is Burtons logic in making the weight range 125-175 for this board.

I'll ride it just to see what its like but I still want to know what the ranging really means.

Why does the board have to be a Burton?? Robert do you know Rajeev??

No... the board does not have to be a Burton.

Whats Rajeev? Person, place or thing?

I picked Burton only because its a trusted name brand.

I've been in stores selling 5 names I've never heard of and boards that

had bling graphics to match bling boots and bling bindings and bling jackets and had sales people tell me they are hot sellers....the kids love them....

and it all means dick if they now sell snowboards to gapers wannabees that will never do

more than sit in the snow like potted plants looking good in their bling but never really

do any snowboarding.

Snowboarding is not a team sport. I just go out and ride.

I'll never understand these kids sitting in the snow just watching.

I sit on the lift and never sit in snow, not even to strap in.

So then when I say I want a board for carving on ice, not a rail grinder I get blank stares

from sales clerks that only sell to park riders now.

Then they try to sell me a stiff ARBOR board for $800.

I just figured Burton would have some documentation somewhere for training purposes that

says to store owners that here is THE board for hardpack alpine riding, here is THE board for

powder, here is THE board for PARK rail grinders, here is THE board for HALF PIPE.

No?

So then when I say I want a board for carving on ice, not a rail grinder I get blank stares

Then they try to sell me a stiff ARBOR board for $800.

I just figured Burton would have some documentation somewhere for training purposes that

says to store owners that here is THE board for hardpack alpine riding, here is THE board for

powder, here is THE board for PARK rail grinders, here is THE board for HALF PIPE.

No?

thats why you dont look for a board and service at Army Navy.

So after being totally over saturated with hours of sales talk in multiple stores I

asked a clerk if he had any cheap boards I could bang the shit out of on rails in the

park and not care I was busting it to shit because it was a cheap board...

Dude is all over the place.

btw:

- the burton website has an e-catalog. it has every spec you could want on every model board for 2009.

find it here:

http://www.burton.com/RiderServices/eCatalog.aspx

-if that is hard to read you can request a catalog be sent to your home here:

http://www.burton.com/RiderServices/Contact.aspx

-if the catalog is taking to long i'd be willing to bet they'd answer all your questions here:

http://www.burton.com/Community/CommunityHome.aspx

-if you are turned off by message boards because of us then try this:

info@burton.com

-and if you no longer are interested in burton, i'd be willing to bet most other big companies offer their own versions of what i listed above. start here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...mp;aq=f&oq=

Edited by nick malozzi

The first burton link won't fly for me.

I get 404

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

* Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.

* If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.

* Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.

* Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

btw:

- the burton website has an e-catalog. it has every spec you could want on every model board for 2009.

find it here:

-if the catalog is taking to long i'd be willing to bet they'd answer all your questions here:

info@burton.com

-and if you no longer are interested in burton, i'd be willing to bet most other big companies offer their own versions of what i listed above. start here:

How did you get to that first Burton link?

Perhaps I have to navigate into it from another page and set cookies and shit.

btw:

find it here:

info@burton.com

thats why you dont look for a board and service at Army Navy.

I DONT look for boards and service at the ARMY NAVY store.

I look for boards in the small ski shops and get information about boards THEN

go to ARMY NAVY LAST to see if they have what I learned about.

I did not expect to ever find ANY Burton board for $200. It just turned out that way this time.

And just what service do you EVER get for a snowboard at any ski shop?

I give my boards to ski techs at Frost once a week for a wax job and edge sharpening

and I oil it every day before I ride with Zardoz NotWAX teflon fluropolymer oil.

I DONT look for boards and service at the ARMY NAVY store.

I look for boards in the small ski shops and get information about boards THEN

go to ARMY NAVY LAST to see if they have what I learned about.

I did not expect to ever find ANY Burton board for $200. It just turned out that way this time.

And just what service do you EVER get for a snowboard at any ski shop?

I give my boards to ski techs at Frost once a week for a wax job and edge sharpening

and I oil it every day before I ride with Zardoz NotWAX teflon fluropolymer oil.

unless you are carving over a flat bastard file i doubt that you need your edges sharpened ever week, and oiling your board is great for the first 50 feet you ride on it. as for your question about what services you could get a t a ski shop for a snowboard i think that any real ski shop will stone grind your base which is nice every couple seasons, and they sell things like P-Tex to file your base when you hit rocks. I hear they even have spare parts for bindings sometimes so you can fix them for 5 bucks rather than buy brand new ones for 100+. personally i would never trust an employee at a ski resort to tune my gear most of them are kids out of high school who i would bet really don't know what they are doing. are they sharpening your base edge every week?

unless you are carving over a flat bastard file i doubt that you need your edges sharpened ever week, and oiling your board is great for the first 50 feet you ride on it. as for your question about what services you could get a t a ski shop for a snowboard i think that any real ski shop will stone grind your base which is nice every couple seasons, and they sell things like P-Tex to file your base when you hit rocks. I hear they even have spare parts for bindings sometimes so you can fix them for 5 bucks rather than buy brand new ones for 100+. personally i would never trust an employee at a ski resort to tune my gear most of them are kids out of high school who i would bet really don't know what they are doing. are they sharpening your base edge every week?

You ever used Zardoz? It lasts 2 hours. Or maybe I just think it lasts 2 hours.

But hey, what do I know. Probably much less about snowboarding than any of you all

because I don't ride rails or half pipe or jumps.

I just ride the hardpack every day for 14 weeks.

The ski techs at Jack Frost for the last 2 years that worked on my board were older than 50

years old and once or twice a new kid would wax my board.

They clean up the edges with a sander like a dremel mototool drum sander.

Well.... enough banter. I have to leave now to go kayaking. Have a nice day.

But hey, what do I know. Probably much less about snowboarding than any of you all

because I don't ride rails or half pipe or jumps.

I just ride the hardpack every day for 14 weeks.

so you assume that i ride rails and jumps and half pipes well you are obviously rather discriminatory. i cant wait to hear what you think all skiers do, and i guess all ski patrol are professional skiers

and i guess all ski patrol are professional skiers

You obviously didn't watch "Ski Patrol" last night. :lol: Those guys have one of the toughest and most dangerous jobs in the country and we should all be proud of them.

Edited by Schifdawg