BURTON snowboard weight limits

Robert2

When you stand at the edge of the abyss ready to go downhill in 8 degree air temperature

with howling wind pushing UPHILL and the ground up hardpack ice tick tick ticking away like

a sandblaster louder than your MP3 player on your goggles you have to dress like astronaut

with no skin exposed and your mouth and nose covered so don't breath any of that cold air.

Wind chills at 20 below zero can crack your teeth when you munch a granola bar.

My water bottles always have frozen if I don't finish them by the end of the day and I carry them in

inside pockets.

The warm clothes are the only thing that keeps you alive in February so if you don't

buy now you will freeze later.

You can't wear cotton fleece, flannel, or long underwear with cotton jeans

and sweat shitless for 3 hours snowboarding.

As soon as cotton gets wet it freezes.

So... yes... I spent $1000 on clothes this year but those clothes will last ten years........

unless they grow feet and my kids snarf them for Midnight Madness at BB .

Learn to dress for it and you can be drenched in sweat but still be warm.

Same thing with rain.

All the warm clothes for cold will also keep you comfortable in drenching rain.

I wear the same clothes for kayaking as I do for snowboarding.

I've been on a lake every day for 6 months and I don't have a tan because

I wore long sleeve capilene and gloves so I never got any sunburn.

Spending $255 on that capilene for 3 shirts is a lifetime investment.

Capilene is guaranteed for LIFE. If it rips you send it back to Padagonia and they

replace it for free.

So $85 a shirt that gets worn every day forever isn't such a bad deal now is it?

As far as worrying about buying a cheap board goes, its simple.

I know for a fact that I can ride a $200 so I spend $200.

So when prices sore into $800 I step back and ask why should I pay that much for a board.

What makes that board so special.... a name ?

So if I can find a board that once cost $400 or $700 or more then why shouldn't I pay

just $200 for it? I already support my local businesses buying the clothes so its never an issue of

dicking a local business out of profits that keep them in business.

So this year I figured I would try to find a good board made by a good company instead of

just finding the right size and color board.

The choice of Burton was only because they were supposed make good boards.

Doing real research is impossible. Burton's web site keeps saying a COME BACK LATER message now.

Store clerks are a crap shoot.

My local store has very limited choice.

So I figure I'd play in forums for a while and get some input from riders instead of sales people.

dude... you ski in PA, right?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you stand at the edge of the abyss ready to go downhill in 8 degree air temperature

with howling wind pushing UPHILL and the ground up hardpack ice tick tick ticking away like

a sandblaster louder than your MP3 player on your goggles you have to dress like astronaut

with no skin exposed and your mouth and nose covered so don't breath any of that cold air.

Wind chills at 20 below zero can crack your teeth when you munch a granola bar.

My water bottles always have frozen if I don't finish them by the end of the day and I carry them in

inside pockets.

The warm clothes are the only thing that keeps you alive in February so if you don't

buy now you will freeze later.

You can't wear cotton fleece, flannel, or long underwear with cotton jeans

and sweat shitless for 3 hours snowboarding.

As soon as cotton gets wet it freezes.

So... yes... I spent $1000 on clothes this year but those clothes will last ten years........

unless they grow feet and my kids snarf them for Midnight Madness at BB .

so i wear a cotton t shirt and running shorts under my jacket and snow pants and i rarely get cold. also i don't remember the last time pa had single digit temps, and windchill only affects exposed skin...

so i wear a cotton t shirt and running shorts under my jacket and snow pants and i rarely get cold. also i don't remember the last time pa had single digit temps, and windchill only affects exposed skin...

I'm surprised a bringer of death like yourself can even be near snow. Doesn't your soul radiate hell's fiery furnace? Wouldn't that just melt the snow.

BTW: I've totally lost the point to why this thread was even started. This and the other one sorta meld together into a pile of wasted brain cells. I think the mods should merge the two threads to make this even more confusingly entertaining.

You guys are forgetting that you are in your 20s or younger, this dude is in his 60s, so he probably gets colder faster. He is also handicapped and can't drive himself home to change, so he has to come more prepared for the elements.

Actually I am closer to 50 but yes I don't drive so I can't go home and change.

I get off the bus and have 4 hours before the bus comes to fetch me so I don't shit around

warming up in the lodge. I get out on the hardpack and don't come in for at least

3 hours every week day.

And yes there are 10 degree temperatures at Frost with high winds making wind chills 20 below zero.

This thread started about weight limits.

At 220 pounds I exceed all board design specs for ANY manufacturer because they

rate them for weight and even though I am 5'6" and a 155 board is the right length for

my stance I exceed the specs...that say 125 to 175 pounds.

So instead of buying a huge long board ..a 165... rated for 150 to 200 pounds..still under my weight

I was asking for information how the manufacturers design boards for heavy adults, not just

teens.

You can get skis for 300 pound adults so why don't they make boards for 300 pound adults?

R2 im 215 i dont look at weight limits on snowboards i also don't look at anything under 156 cm look for a stiff board in that range and you be happy as a clam

edit: i will pretend i did not read you assumption on pa temps.

Edited by zaldon

R2 im 215 i dont look at weight limits on snowboards i also don't look at anything under 156 cm look for a stiff board in that range and you be happy as a clam

edit: i will pretend i did not read you assumption on pa temps.

ASSume this:

These are not even wind chills.

So yea... dress or die of frostbite.

Monthly averages from www.weather.com

High Low Mean pricip record high record low

Jan 31

Actually I am closer to 50 but yes I don't drive so I can't go home and change.

I get off the bus and have 4 hours before the bus comes to fetch me so I don't shit around

warming up in the lodge. I get out on the hardpack and don't come in for at least

3 hours every week day.

And yes there are 10 degree temperatures at Frost with high winds making wind chills 20 below zero.

This thread started about weight limits.

At 220 pounds I exceed all board design specs for ANY manufacturer because they

rate them for weight and even though I am 5'6" and a 155 board is the right length for

my stance I exceed the specs...that say 125 to 175 pounds.

So instead of buying a huge long board ..a 165... rated for 150 to 200 pounds..still under my weight

I was asking for information how the manufacturers design boards for heavy adults, not just

teens.

You can get skis for 300 pound adults so why don't they make boards for 300 pound adults?

You should checkout Never Summer snowboards, I think they are perfect for what you are looking for. They don't list weight ranges on their website : Never Summer , but their boards are built to last and are stiffer and stronger than most boards on the market in comparable sizes. From their lineup I would checkout the Titan , Premier and Heritage. You would get away with riding these boards shorter and all Never Summer boards come with a three year warranty.

ASSume this:

These are not even wind chills.

So yea... dress or die of frostbite.

Monthly averages from www.weather.com

High Low Mean pricip record high record low

Jan 31

Edited by zaldon

Abnormal lows might not count to you now when its 60 degrees outside

but when its 10 degrees you can tell me lows don't count.

We do get many days of teens and 20s so I dress for the cold.

Its just one more reason I have the place to myself when its cold.

Too many people who ski don't come out because its "too cold" to ski.

I encourage anyone who hates winter to invest heavily in the clothes

and then there will be more people at the ski resorts.

The more people, the longer they will stay open.

Once you learn how to beat the cold you can enjoy winter sports.

Beating the cold doesn't mean sitting in the lodge drying off in front

of the fire pit.

Telling people it doesn't get all that cold here is a real disservice.

Sure you can "fleece up" and take few runs but I'm talking about

stepping out at noon and not coming back in for 3 hours and staying alive

to do it again the next day.

You don't have to buy high tech expensive padagonia products.

HOT CHILLYs make fleece baselayers just as warm as padagonia expedition weight

capilene for half the price.

MARMOT makes base layers that perform as well as capilene silk weight.

I wore MARMOT, HOT CHILLY , a fleece, and a life vest kayaking last week when it

was snowing here and even after getting wet I was still warm.

You can wear wet wool and still be warm.

Heavy wool Irish fishing sweaters always kept the fishermen warm.

I tried the UNDER ARMOR products and froze so I won't do that again.

Even then it's still hard to find NS boards, they don't make a ton of them a year, so by the end of the season it's slim picking's as to what you can find for a good deal.

I know but I found my Evo for around 300$ and if you look there are deals. Here is one NS Premier . Its last years Premier for around 379$ , shipped free. I ordered form that site before and never had a problem. That board and that size would be perfect for him. I know Never Summers are tough to come by, especially deals on leftovers but I think he would be very happy with one.

NS is awesome. I rode a friends EVO a few years back. There is a pretty good chance my next board will be a NS especially since they are pretty easy to come by out here being that they are built here. They will also split any of their boards on special order, and I've been itching to get a split board.

Edited by nick malozzi

There's a lot of threads running in this one thread now.

Thanks for the advice to check into neversummer boards.

I have no problem buying an NS board for full retail price if it is THE right board for me to ride.

I'm not looking for a deal as much as I am looking for what is the right board for me.

The discussions about dirt cheap boards and ARMY NAVY verses local shops was not about

"right boards"... it was just about cheap boards and how everyone tries to sell me the most expensive

board , probably because they figure I can afford it.... being old and bald.

Thats why I cracked off the thread to a new one to be about weight ranges printed on boards.

Is there any demo days at any PA ski resorts where stores supply NS boards to try before you buy?

I've seen some demo boards at tent sales at Jack Frost but that was a long time ago.

NS is awesome. I rode a friends EVO a few years back. There is a pretty good chance my next board will be a NS especially since they are pretty easy to come by out here being that they are built here. They will also split any of their boards on special order, and I've been itching to get a split board.

I actually think they are going to be making production split boards soon. I read it somewhere, they are in high demand so they are going to make it part of their lineup. I need a powder board for when I go out west and think I am going to get a Never Summer Summit, that should be my next board purchase. The Evo is a legit board, I sold mine because it was a little stiff for the park , it is more of an all mountain board, you can definitely take it anywhere. Never Summer as a whole is a great company, I want to try their new rocker and side cut.

Edited by train36

There's a lot of threads running in this one thread now.

Thanks for the advice to check into neversummer boards.

I have no problem buying an NS board for full retail price if it is THE right board for me to ride.

I'm not looking for a deal as much as I am looking for what is the right board for me.

The discussions about dirt cheap boards and ARMY NAVY verses local shops was not about

"right boards"... it was just about cheap boards and how everyone tries to sell me the most expensive

board , probably because they figure I can afford it.... being old and bald.

Thats why I cracked off the thread to a new one to be about weight ranges printed on boards.

Is there any demo days at any PA ski resorts where stores supply NS boards to try before you buy?

I've seen some demo boards at tent sales at Jack Frost but that was a long time ago.

I remember them coming to Elk a while ago , not sure if they still do. They have a list of Demo days on their website, closest I see to here is Hunter as of right now. The Gspot on Business Route 1 use to sell NS boards . not sure if they do any more. If you want a board that will last and support yoour weight on a shorter board, I would definitely look at NS. Out of their lineup I would think the Premier suits you the best, good luck.