Snowmaking to start TUESDAY

ColoradoHigh

The forecasted lows finally arrived and the BC Snowmaking Team really laid down a lot of the white stuff last night! Unfortunately, we still need a bit more snow to open the lifts.

We will open a hike park Sunday from 10AM to 3PM. Access is free for pass holders and $5 for non-pass holders. Food will be available in the Grille and Trail's End Cafe. The Mountain Eatery will not be open.

from the website.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they should have this hike park from tomorrow until they actually open...none of this one day thing...besides there really prob only like a few days away from opening anyways as long as the temp predictions for tonight and tomorrow night hold

Dissappointed about the hike park....They tried....rock on!

its thanksgiving week, i thought they wouldve made a stronger push then settling for a hike park... I was really looking forward to riding bear tomorrow too, but now i might just head to camelback or boulder again

its thanksgiving week, i thought they wouldve made a stronger push then settling for a hike park... I was really looking forward to riding bear tomorrow too, but now i might just head to camelback or boulder again

They tried...the weather didnt cooperate....

Strap on your board and ride down the steps at a mall.

they did get decent production in last night and tonight (not sure if they blew during the day today) but they still dont have an incredible amount. Yes they prob have enough to open a trail or two but i think they made the smart decision in holding off and just pounding those trails with snow, it should pay off in the long run. having to put out the rails and then not being able to groom those areas because of the rails being there would cost them alot of snow. The hike park should be fun, you guys should all come out. Ill be filming for an edit for the website, hopefully we'll have a nice set up and some nice weather.

whats gunna be in the hike park

so far from the webcams i see the new dfd setup urban, a double wide down rail, and the wide box from friday night. they are still building.

edit: it looks more like the reg. dfd box now.

Edited by MISSDEMEANOR

anyone know why bear stops the snowmakers so early every day? like yesterday was only a high of like 32 so they could have at least kept them on until like 12 instead of turning them off at 9 when it was still 22 degress outside...same with this morning...i remember them blowing with even more marginal temps last year so im very surprised...i know water temp has something to do with it but still, that is def cold enough

11-23-08 Update:

The hike park opens from 10am to 3pm today. There are 4 features set up in the base area. Admission is $5 for non-pass holders and free for all season pass holders.

Snowmaking went well last night and we got good production for the second night in a row. We still don't have enough snow to connect the dots from top to bottom but we will be opening the tube park line tomorrow and will have the tubing magic carpet running for access. We will also keep the hike park open in the base area. Hours and pricing will be announced later today.

Tonight looks like the last night of snowmaking for a few days. We hope that we are able to put enough snow down to open at least one trail from the top but there are still a few sizable gaps in coverage.

For those asking why the guns shut down early, with 45F to 46F water, almost as soon as the sun comes up, the majority of the water droplets blown by the guns stop freezing and we do more harm than good. If the temperature of the air was 5F to 8F colder or the water was in the mid 30'sF we would be running all day long on days like yesterday.