jackets...whats good/what do you have?

rastasquid

I bought a Foursquare Adam jacket last night on dogfunk. I normally lilke to buy things locally, but it was 70 dollars more locally, so this time the internet wins. It's 15/10..i figured it would be good for me, I don't ride much in the rain or super deep snow, because I live in NEPA and we don't have much deep snow and I'm too much of a pansy to ride in the rain. Hopefully it holds up better than that DC jacket.

Edit: And the sale just ended and the jacket just jacked way back up in price...glad I didn't wait!

Edited by rastasquid

10/10 minimum, 5 is too thin you end up wearing too many layers.

I have a 20/20 shell, generally wear it with just an underarmor underneith and no layers or liner on about 75% of the days and I'm fine. Its often a bit cold on the lift in the morning (I usually make it for first chair), but by 11 when the sun is out, or when I'm in the park working hard it is just the right amount.

For Canada I bust out the down jacket, but around here - never really more than that. In fact down here, venting is more important than anything else because once you start sweating you get really cold.

For me, water proof is more important than the thickness because I will ski in the rain a few times a year, but generally the insulation is equal or greater than water proof so it is kind of a moot point.

Mine is an AK jacket that they no longer make. I like Burton/AK, Helly Hansen, Orage, Quicksilver, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware. 686 looks good too but I have no experience with it.

I often say that the jacket is the best investment you can make. Boots pack out, boards get scratched and lose their pop, bindings break down, pants get ripped up and lose their water proofing, goggles scratch, gloves rip, helmets get dented and lose their protective value. But the jacket keeps going and going if you buy a good one and keep it out of the mud.

I still cant find a jacket that i'm happy with, i've been looking for the last 3 months, I almost found the one, special blend, but it felt cheep even tho it was like $240, i'm ready to give up and go to like burlington coat factory and get an xl woman's fur coat or something, but seriously, i walk into the store and all the coats and pants are so ugly, expensive, and cheezy looking i want to throw up. its so hard to find a jacket that's me ya know, everything i see is so "trendy" ahhh

i went to ski corner and tried bunch of stuff on. the foursquare stuff looks cool, and fits good, and feels like its quality. The guy up there that sold me 2 boards before (tim) recommended them saying they are "bulletproof", and he seems to know his shit. i ordered mine from dogfunk, which i feel like a jerk for doing but it was ALOT cheaper. My g/f is paying for it as a christmas present, so I'll let you know how it is after I'm allowed to wear it.

I wear a Burton Ronin jacket.It's only a 5/5 but it works well for me.It was tough finding a color/style I liked.I'm not into all the print/lots of exterior pockets/zippers/fur hood thing.Just wanted a basic earth toned/one color shell.It's a bullet proof jacket.I've always felt Burton made durable soft goods,although they can get very pricey.

I still cant find a jacket that i'm happy with, i've been looking for the last 3 months, I almost found the one, special blend, but it felt cheep even tho it was like $240, i'm ready to give up and go to like burlington coat factory and get an xl woman's fur coat or something, but seriously, i walk into the store and all the coats and pants are so ugly, expensive, and cheezy looking i want to throw up. its so hard to find a jacket that's me ya know, everything i see is so "trendy" ahhh

It takes forever. I worked at a ski shop and of the 50 jackets we got each year there were only a handful I wanted. I actually picked the jacket I have right now after looking at the stuff coming for the year after in the catalogs as we were ordering and just saying "Fuck it thats even worse than this" and buying the one I hated the least, but now I"m actually really a fan of that jacket. I don't even remember why I didn't like it at the time.

My girlfriend took even longer to find one, almost a whole year of going through stores. It just seems to be a lot more personal than your hard goods and there are a lot of love it or hate it designs these days.