Whistler/Blackcomb Gondola Collaspe

method9455

Not the new Peak to Peak but a gondola collapsed for unknown reasons, basically one of the towers broke in half and the cable dropped.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...BritishColumbia

Looks to me like the same type of Dopplymar lifts that are at Tremblant and Stratton.

No major injuries so far but people fell 30+ meters and a few gondolas hit the ground or stopped a few feet above.

Whistler had a death back in 1995 due to a chairlift malfunction...I would be scarred shitless falling 30+ meters in a gondola..

The article said it was two deaths and 9 injuries (and in 1993)!! I didn't know that.

This is totally freaky. This bodes really poorly for the lift inspections/maintenance. :( At least no one was injured.

Not the new Peak to Peak but a gondola collapsed for unknown reasons, basically one of the towers broke in half and the cable dropped.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...BritishColumbia

Looks to me like the same type of Dopplymar lifts that are at Tremblant and Stratton.

No major injuries so far but people fell 30+ meters and a few gondolas hit the ground or stopped a few feet above.

that is comforting.. i leave for Tremblant on the 4th haha

that is comforting.. i leave for Tremblant on the 4th haha

Ha I'm not going to lie to you I thought the Tremblant gondola was one of the sketchiest I ever rode and that was before reading this:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90027

It blows in the wind like crazy, and a couple times of year they pull all the cars off and have bare cable during big storms. I think they built the towers too tall because the whole thing is above the tree line and is really exposed.

I still say the most dangerous part is the drive to the mountain. And stay on the North side of Tremblant, it is a lot more fun anyway. Make sure you hit Expo and there are some fun trails with with snow covered walls to play around on Solelil that are fun as well.

jesus that would be so scary just ridin' along and all of a sudden WHAM! talk about your stomach dropping like on a roller coast.

over 30 meters!!!! shit.

hopefully it doesnt happen with the peak-to-peak. that lift is like 1500 ft above the ground and it has only four towers!!!

maybe it will scare off tourists from the good stuff there...