Sticky skis

ThinkSnow

I'm not a gear guru like some people here, so I figured I would post this question and see if anyone could tell me what's up.

Today, conditions were beautiful, 8 inches or so of powder, and much more in many places. Temp was between 25-30. When I would stop, and try to start again, my skis would literally feel sticky, and I'd have to push pretty hard to get started.

I had a quick tune done at blue about 4 ski days ago (just a sharpen/wax), and I have no clue if this problem is wrong wax, or no wax, or something different altogether. If anyone has any insight, let me know.

Thanks!

My guess would be they need to be waxed again. I find that in fresh snow the skis get stickier, and you have to pay more attention to wax to keep them moving.

You could try some rub on stuff if you could get a little tin/bottle of it anywhere.

Umm you could go for a tune up tomorrow at lunch if they are still sticking. Not really sure what the best wax is for pow (maybe ski999 has an idea), but I bet the shop would know if you brought them in.

You could always try some of that Zaldon stuff...Tell us how it works.

When you say "powder" was it from the sky or a gun? I find freshly laid down manmade stuff to have a tendency to grab your skis if yours are the first skis over it.

Otherwise, the WRONG wax is worse than NO WAX. However, if you had skied on those skis after the first day, it shouldn't have been an issue.

When you say "powder" was it from the sky or a gun?  I find freshly laid down manmade stuff to have a tendency to grab your skis if yours are the first skis over it. 

Otherwise, the WRONG wax is worse than NO WAX.  However, if you had skied on those skis after the first day, it shouldn't have been an issue.

it's about 30-40 inches of the real thing :D

I'm not sure, but it may not be the equipment/wax at all, it might just be the nature of powder itself. 8 inches isn't a whole lot, but it might be enough to feel "suction-like," at least until you build up enough speed.

Mark Elling, in his All Mountain Skier book says it this way: "Skiing powder incorrectly makes the snow feel like cement, but skiing it well makes the snow feel like feathers. The key is to plane on top of the snow the way a water-skier does on water."

and

"Ineffective powder skiers fail to float on top of the snow and remain bogged down in the deep snow the same way a water-skier might plow through the water behind an underpowered boat."

In the rare times I've enjoyed powder, I found that I had to get my speed up, and I had to really shift away from the whole footwork blend that I'm used to on groomed and hard surface runs. The whole effort becomes much more subtle, tips up slightly, lifting your inside ski ever so slightly and leaning gently, without so much hip-angle, to maintain float throughout a turn. It gets "sticky" if you're not going fast enough.

Once you get the hang of it, it's like floating on heavenly clouds, it is sooo smooth! No ski chatter at all!

Edited by volklyokel

Yeah, things were very nice once I got going, and got the floating thing nicely. It was when I was stopped and went to push off to move that it felt like I was sticking to the ground. Maybe you're right and it has more to do with the snow than the equipment, thanks for the info!

BTW, it was amazing skiing once I got moving, as that 8 inches was on top of 30 that they had 3 days ago.

You could always try some of that Zaldon stuff...Tell us how it works.

Hahahahahah! I'm not telling you why that's funny, 'Dude...

The sticky feeling is pretty accurate, Think. Ski bases that don't allow water/ice/snow to pass easily are creating a suction. After four days (and after the first, actually), your bases don't have any wax.

Your temps are pretty good for an all-around wax. Ski shop bulk waxing can suck if it's really cold or really warm, because they load up with mid-range.

I'd avoid the Zardoz stuff and pick up some packs of Swix or Toko rub on. You can get them in little towlettes, like Wet One's, or in a tube that has a sponge on the end. It isn't as good as a hot wax, but works well for a few runs. If you go to a shop, ask them if they'll use Swix CH7, or the equivalent.

When you say "powder" was it from the sky or a gun?  I find freshly laid down manmade stuff to have a tendency to grab your skis if yours are the first skis over it. 

Otherwise, the WRONG wax is worse than NO WAX.  However, if you had skied on those skis after the first day, it shouldn't have been an issue.

How so, and how much worse, like damage worse, or just not as fast/effective worse. I always assumed something was better than nothing, but I guess I'm wrong.

How so, and how much worse, like damage worse, or just not as fast/effective worse. I always assumed something was better than nothing, but I guess I'm wrong.

I'm sure she meant worse than nothing for performance, not damage to your bases. Skiing with dried out, unwaxed bases creates lots of friction and damages your bases. Even leaving your skis in a closet without wax will do damage.

It is better for your bases to always have wax on and in them. The wrong wax will make your skis grab, but still protect them from drying out.

Cold temps with dry snow=hard wax.

Warm temps with manmade or high water content snow (East)=soft wax.

Ski bases are like people. You want the moisturizer rubbed in...lots of it is best. But you also want to wipe off the excess, or you can't turn doorknobs.

Not damage, you just don't move. But, like ski999 said, after 4 days it's a moot point, that wax was gone.

I can assure you that the wrong wax is always slower than no wax. And, unlike ski999 says, I don't think you need to constantly have wax on your skis. I outglide people all the time here on catwalks (and many of them are always talking about having waxed their skis the night before) and I am the great non-waxer. On the other hand, I get new skis after 100-150 days, which means way more often in terms of time than other people, so dried-out bases is less of an issue. I don't mean they never get waxed, but they certainly don't get waxed more often than every ten days out or so. It's not like I'm racing.

Edited by sibhusky

And, unlike ski999 says, I don't think you need to constantly have wax on your skis.

I'm not talking about waxing skis for speed, Sib. Bases need wax, or they dry out. A dry base oxidizes and flakes off. That's not just my opinion or interpretation or something I made up. It's a fact. If you can ski faster while leaving bits of your base along the way, then go for it. But I guarantee that a waxed ski will turn better, glide faster, and last much longer than unwaxed bases.

Skiing with all the wax worked out of the base is like driving a car around with extremely old motor oil.

I'm not talking about waxing skis for speed, Sib. Bases need wax, or they dry out. A dry base oxidizes and flakes off. That's not just my opinion or interpretation or something I made up. It's a fact. If you can ski faster while leaving bits of your base along the way, then go for it. But I guarantee that a waxed ski will turn better, glide faster, and last much longer than unwaxed bases.

Skiing with all the wax worked out of the base is like driving a car around with extremely old motor oil.

My grandfather drove a caddy to 300,000 miles without changing the oil only filled it when it was low. The reason he stopped driving it was because a wheel fell off... of coarse thats seems the exception rather than the rule.

As far as waxing goes, I can see how not waxing can cause damage... but for those of us who like to ride where rocks are prevelant, it may be a mute point. Either way, I like the way my board handles when it is waxed, so I try and wax as often as possible.

Wax them yourself with a temperature specific wax that you use for the temperature of the snow. When you bring your stuff in for a tune they usually use an all-temp wax.

I use Toko, Swix or Bluebird iron-on type waxes. Its pretty easy to do and there are plenty of guides on the Internet to show you how.

Now that I have an in-house waxer, I get it done more often. But, as mentioned, it's a bit crazy to worry about a bit of flaking when you have gouges from rocks. I just had base repair work done a couple of weeks ago, and they need it again. I heard all about it from Siblet last night when she was waxing my skis. But, there's more to life than groomers!

Naturally, since I am close to unemployed, I am worrying about not being able to force Mr. Husky to buy me a new pair of skis at the end of this season like I did to get these skis. But, I am more concerned about the ski being "dead" than starving for a bit of wax.