dress like an astronaut

Robert2

Remember this post?

When you stand at the edge of the abyss ready to go downhill in 8 degree air temperature

with howling wind pushing UPHILL and the ground up hardpack ice tick tick ticking away like

a sandblaster louder than your MP3 player on your goggles...... you have to dress like an astronaut.

Well...today was THAT day.

JF is taking advantage of the 12 degree air temps and blowing snow everywhere.

There's 10 foot mounds of snow on the closed hills and the open hills have

blowing snowguns (tiny ice actually) so you can add this to the howling winds and already 10 degree air temperature.

Wear goggles and be prepared to get wet. This ice mist will soak you if

you hang in it too long and you are warmer than the mist. It formed a hard turtle like shell

on my jacket in the time it takes to strap into a snowboard.

Today riding conditions were sticky deep new snow.... and that made for slow riding.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the same.

It wasn't real crowded for a holiday week.

No lift lines at all.

Other than the really cold temperature it was the kind of day everyone dreams of

finding at JF.

Just another day in paradise for me. I was dressed warm enough.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember this post?

When you stand at the edge of the abyss ready to go downhill in 8 degree air temperature

with howling wind pushing UPHILL and the ground up hardpack ice tick tick ticking away like

a sandblaster louder than your MP3 player on your goggles...... you have to dress like an astronaut.

Well...today was THAT day.

JF is taking advantage of the 12 degree air temps and blowing snow everywhere.

There's 10 foot mounds of snow on the closed hills and the open hills have

blowing snowguns (tiny ice actually) so you can add this to the howling winds and already 10 degree air temperature.

Wear goggles and be prepared to get wet. This ice mist will soak you if

you hang in it too long and you are warmer than the mist. It formed a hard turtle like shell

on my jacket in the time it takes to strap into a snowboard.

Today riding conditions were sticky deep new snow.... and that made for slow riding.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the same.

It wasn't real crowded for a holiday week.

No lift lines at all.

Other than the really cold temperature it was the kind of day everyone dreams of

finding at JF.

Just another day in paradise for me. I was dressed warm enough.

Were you in the park all day? They were blowing on Exhibition, but I didn't have any problems with the snow. From Exhibition east, the guns were off, when I was there. I avoided the triple chairs, though, because those are right over the guns. I didn't head west of Exhibition.

Nice report Robert and the 24th is going to be rainy and warm..

The were talking about how they would blow all this snow while its cold to lay a good base

so when the warm spell hits there would be no bald spots.

I'd say go no matter what the temp or what is falling from the sky.

If they are open I'll be there unless someone else dies.

R2 its good to hear you were on another expedition to the north pole. i was thinking about you yesterday when i was snowboarding in my t-shirt and shorts under my snow pants and jacket for 8 hours at whiteface with 7 degree temps at the base and -2 at the peak and wind gust over 20 mph. i was trying to think of what an epic post you would make about surviving in deadly bone chilling conditions, but the post is right here. :)

R2 its good to hear you were on another expedition to the north pole. i was thinking about you yesterday when i was snowboarding in my t-shirt and shorts under my snow pants and jacket for 8 hours at whiteface with 7 degree temps at the base and -2 at the peak and wind gust over 20 mph. i was trying to think of what an epic post you would make about surviving in deadly bone chilling conditions, but the post is right here. :)

Hey, that epic post was a fun post.

I thought I was pretty clear about how it does get cold here and then the first week of

BB and JF opening having 17 degree air temps and wet snowblowing and all the posts by the riders who froze their asses off made it clear that I was legit.

You never said what your snow pants and jacket were so for all we know you wear

the most expensive high tech jacket and snowpants.

My jacket is a shell and my pants are $22 Kmart snowpants.

I stay warm with high tech base layers, not the jacket or pants.

They don't make snowboarding pants for old men shaped like me.

OR

I haven' t found any that fit me in my local stores.

Seems they only carry products for wirey thin kids.

Monday the wind chill was below -20 and the lift operators

couldn't stay warm enough.

Dress warm people. It will make your day a good day.

You spend tons of money on brand name base layers and buy $20 wally world outerwear? R2 do yourself a favor and find some quality outwear, and quit buying base layers for the name on the tag. If it's fleece, wool, or poly pro it will work weather the name says patagonia or shatagonia. Quality shells make such a big difference. No wonder you need to look like an astronaut.

You spend tons of money on brand name base layers and buy $20 wally world outerwear? R2 do yourself a favor and find some quality outwear, and quit buying base layers for the name on the tag. If it's fleece, wool, or poly pro it will work weather the name says patagonia or shatagonia. Quality shells make such a big difference. No wonder you need to look like an astronaut.

Some of Wal Mart's stuff isn't too bad. They aren't as cheap as they used to be. I have snow pants from Wal Mart that I paid $20 for and they have lasted me four seasons. They are also really warm. I also got my jacket from Wal Mart for $40 and am on my fourth season with it. It is a three function jacket and is one of the best that I have owned. It has a water proof down shell and a detachable poly liner. Sometimes cheaper items aren't that bad, as long as you know what you are looking for.

Edited by bigdaddyk

BDK I've heard reports that you regularly wear as many as 8 layers. Maybe your $40 shell isn't as warm as you think it is.

I've tried on the "expensive" jackets and they don't make a difference. When it's single digits with wind, I layer up to stay outside for up to 4 hours. When people are complaining about how cold it is, I never have any problems and most of these people are wearing "expensive" items.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I've tried on the "expensive" jackets and they don't make a difference. When it's single digits with wind, I layer up to stay outside for up to 4 hours. When people are complaining about how cold it is, I never have any problems and most of these people are wearing "expensive" items.

There is a big difference between trying on an expensive piece of outerwear and actually using it while you're on the slopes. I'd be willing to bet these people who are cold are rocking cotton somewhere, and/or layering improperly somewhere.

One thing that I have noticed. Is a lot of people just go out and blow their load on the latest greatest jacket, but invest no money in a good pair of pants/socks or hat/helmet. You loose an immense amount of heat through your feet and your head. If your head is cold at any point in the day you should reevaluate what you have going on up there. Same things goes for the feet.

One last note, I've also talked on lifts with a handful of people shivering or sweating. I tell them they should close/open their pit vents and they look at me like I'm speaking Greek. READ THE TAGS ON YOUR GEAR AND UNDERSTAND WHAT FEATURES YOU HAVE AVAILABLE TO YOU!

No wally world.

We boycott Walmart here.

My bib snowpants this year came from a local hunting clothes shop in Palmerton.

I just say Kmart to give an idea of how simple this bibpants is. Just basic nylon I think.

I've never had a problem with cold legs when wearing a standard Kmart $22 bibpants with one or two base layers of silkweight capilene and merino wool leggings.

Those two base layers plus the kmart bibpants cost a grand total of $100.

They wick sweat, retain heat, and stay dry.

Insulated snowboarding pants cost $200.

Since my local shops never carry anything that fits me I never got the chance to

try out " some quality outwear" pants.

Anyone who can not afford to drop $200 on snowpants and $300 on a snowboarding jacket

can still play in 10 degree snow by layering up the base layers and get away with

spending $200 on just the washable base layers.

I've got snowboarding jackets... vents and all.... but they are shells...just lots of

pockets...not a lot of thick insulation.. so I wear 3 thin high tech base layers under the shell.

Layer one wicks sweat, layer two holds heat, layer 3 stops cold from making it from the shell

side to the layer 2.

I've had water bottles freeze inside shell pockets so that gives some kind of indication

of how well the base layers are working. If the outer shell never gets warm then the warmth is staying inside the base layers, not leaking to the outer shell.

Layers 1 and 2 get washed and never get worn twice without washing.

The outer shells are treated with water repellents and are not supposed to be

washed daily so there are advantages to layering washable base layers instead of wearing

one thick heavy snow jacket.

You wouldn't wear the same clothes to a gym every day so the same goes for snow clothes.

The high tech base layers can be name brands like padagonia capilene or pay half as much for

HOT CHILLY's and MARMOT bases layers.

I didn't have anything available to me for years except capilene so finding replacement

products like MARMOT and HOT CHILLY's were a welcome surprise this year for me.

I tried a few other name brand but froze wearing UnderArmor and NIKE warm sports layers.

When I say dress like an astronaut I am just saying it gets cold here so

figure out for yourself what works for you.

Anyone who ever met me knows I'm not dressing to impress anyone.

I'm just staying warm and dry.

I've been outside every weekday for 3 years kayaking or snowboarding.

YOU don't have to listen to a word I say here about the weather or dressing for the cold.

BUT the one kid or parent that reads this and buys enough warm clothes WILL play outside

in the 10 degrees and not cut short his day because he was too cold.

gallery_2500_214_8909.jpg

.... You loose an immense amount of heat through your feet and your head. ..

You actually lose heat through any exposed skin. They are now saying that it is a myth, that you loose most of your heat through your head.

... I'd be willing to bet these people who are cold are rocking cotton somewhere...

That's why I wear thermals that are made up of more polyester, than cotton. I do wear a cotton t-shirt over the thermals, since the cotton pulls any sweat away from the other shirt.

Edited by bigdaddyk

You actually lose heat through any exposed skin. They are now saying that it is a myth, that you loose most of your heat through your head.

I think that goes without saying. If that wasn't the case 99.9% of skiers and riders wouldn't be out there covered head to toe with exception to their face. My point here is that when you look at your average skier/rider the body part that is least insulated is their head, and their feet. Most people pick up on the basics of layering their body correctly, but fail to take care of their head and feet.

That's why I wear thermals that are made up of more polyester, than cotton. I do wear a cotton t-shirt over the thermals, since the cotton pulls any sweat away from the other shirt.

I shoot for zero cotton, but that is just me.

I've noticed that too. I usually put a face mask on, once it gets below 25 degrees, unless if it is sunny with no wind. I hate having a frozen face.

Below 25 BDK?

More power to you to stay warm I guess, but for me to justify a facemask or anything (I really don't like the feel of something across my whole face), it has to be well below zero haha.