Colorado peeps... question

phillycore

I am headed out to Colorado Jan 24th - 28th and was considering using this -> www.powpowplatter.com where I can get a lift ticket to copper, winter park, and steamboat for $99

My question is this.. how far away are these places from each other??

Would I be better off booking hotel stays at each place and then drive to the next or is one central location better or ??

I'm not familiar with Colorado's geography and where all these are exactly, although I plan on renting a car at Denver airport then working it out from there..

This just seems like it's a good deal and a cool way to try out a few different places that I haven't skied at yet..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, just did a search and realized that steamboat is nowhere near the others whatsoever...

I'm guessing the best way to go about something like this would be to....

Arrive at Denver airport Jan 24th (early) and drive straight to winter park ski there on the 24th buying a day pass

Stay overnight and ski winter park on the 25th using day 1 of powpowplatter stay overnight in winter park

Leave early am and drive to copper... ski copper the 26th day 2 of powpow then depart towards steamboat.

Stay ??? overnight

Ski steamboat on the 27th day 3 of powpow and stay overnight there.

Depart for Denver airport on the 28th early and fly home

Due to the fact that steamboat is located so far from the other two...

would I be better off buying two of the powpow passes and ski 2 days at w/p and 2 days at copper (would make the lift tix $50 each compared to reg rates)

and then just not use the steamboat tickets ??

I haven't hit up steamboat, due to not really wanting to put in the effort of driving that far. Copper and WP are both pretty solid. Resolution Bowl at Copper was freaking sweat when I was there last week. Copper is nice because it is right off rt 70. So getting there isn't bad at all. WP you get off 70 and have to drive another about 40min over Berthoud pass. On a sunny day I love driving that pass. It is absolutely breathe taking. On a bad weather day it is a slow go, and a bit sketch in spots. That being said I wouldn't make WP a home base. Might get cumbersome having to drive the pass in the morning to go to Copper, and then back over it at night to come home. I'd try and get a place somewhere halfway between the two. Frisco would be a bit closer to Copper, but from what I can tell has some of the cheaper places. I can't think of the name of the place we stayed last weekend, but it was only like 110 for a two queens on a Saturday night, and a basic continental breakfast.

Either way, keep me informed. It be rad to meet up at some point over the time your here.

This whole thing is my fault anyway honestly.. I dropped the ball and never bought the transfour pass like I was going to and they stopped selling them.

The powpow platter is a better deal $$ wise and would give me a chance to check out all three places.... it just seems like a lot of driving when you throw steamboat into the mix.

I would just get a hotel room and go that route as I'd feel weird otherwise, but I do sincerely appreciate the offer it is seriously cool of you...

Given my flight info below...

Sat Jan 24 2151 Depart PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL (PHL) at 7:05 AM

Arrive in DENVER INTL (DEN) at 9:35 AM

Wed Jan 28 1698 Depart DENVER INTL (DEN) at 5:10 PM

Arrive in PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL (PHL) at 10:40 PM

I have plenty of downtime on both my arrival and departure day...

So I might want to consider driving from Denver to Steamboat on day 1 (24th)

find something to do around town or whatever then ski steamboat on day 2 (25th)

Then leave steamboat and head to silverthorne / frisco area and stay there 25th-26th

Ski copper on the 26th.... then head to W/P and stay there 26th-28th

ski W/P the 27th and then just find something to do on the 28th (maybe around Denver) before I need to head to the airport..

That gives me 3 days of skiing (which is what I've down my 2 previous trips out west)

Moving from hotel to hotel will be a pita though...

Yeah I would say if you are definitely skiing those three places, hit steamboat first and work your way back. First off because of the altitude and flight ish. Its better to have a little rest and get acclimated. Secondly when your done skiing and beat from skiing three days of big mountains, your not going to want to have the long drive back to the airport.

Here are my inflation adjusted two cents...it seems like alot of driving to combine Steamboat with summit county on a four night trip..but if you want to do it here is how I would do it...

January 24th...figure you'll be in the airport by 10AM and have your luggage and rental car by 11AM. Since there is a ton of daylight..I would drive to Steamboat and check into your hotel..then you have the rest of the day/evening to explore a great town..I've never skied Steamboat but I hung out in Steamboat Springs for 2 days in the summertime and it's a great skitown.

January 25th..pack up car/checkout ski Steamboat..drive to Summit County..secure lodging for the final 3 nights of your trip..

January 26th..ski summit county resort or Winter Park

January 27th...repeat of January 26th..

January 28th..Your flight isn't until 510PM..ski somewhere that morning..maybe Loveland..which is the closest place to Denver..and they sell a 4 hour flexpass for $43..So ski until Noon or 1PM and catch your flight back to Philly..I wouldn't worry about being tired..you'll be sitting in an airport for and hour and a half and a plane for 4 hours..nap time..

Summit county meaning... dillon, frisco, silverthorne area??

I was considering the alpine inn in frisco $92 nt

Don't have a ton of time to read the whole thread but here is the deal. You should do copper on the first ski day. Then either stay near copper if the roads are bad, or drive to winter park and stay here. Do the WP thing, then again, depending on roads, stay in WP or go to steamboat and spend the night there. Unless you are coming from boulder, you have to go through winter park to get to Steamboat. Alternatively you could start with steamboat, and work your way closer to Denver. I haven't been to copper I don't know what it's like.

Stoked your coming up out Philly Core!

This is what I got figured out as of last night...

powpowplatter.com $99 3 days lift tickets one each at Steamboat, Winter Park, and Copper

Arrive at Denver international on the 24th @ 10am ish....

Rent car ( advantage- chrysler Sebring is the cheapest $205 for total trip time after taxes,fees..)

Bringing my garmin gps unit with me!!!

Drive from Denver international to Steamboat... check out the town, maybe the hot springs (heard they are in the vicinity)

Book room at the rabbit ears motel.. $101 after taxes fees..

Ski steamboat on the 25th in mad deep champagne powder...

Leave with a big ass grin on my face in just cleared roads en route to Frisco...

Book room at the Alpine, Inn $92 a night after taxes,fees

Ski Copper on the 26th in mad deep fresh pow storm number 2... (hopefully with some PASR's...???)

cruise on the freshly plowed and cleared roads to Winter Park..

Book room at the Best Western Alpenglo $213 after taxes fees (26-28)

OR if roads are bad stay another night in Frisco....

Ski Winter Park on the 27th in mad deep pow trying my damndest to not hold back Glenn and the Co. crew!!

followed by checking out the town of W/P, Fraser..

Pack up car, check out hotel head towards Denver... maybe ski Winter Park again for a quick am. session before bolting

(or take GSS advice wake up bukoo early and check out loveland for an early am session...)

Drop off the rental car and snooze on my way back to Philly...

PowPow $99

Rabbit Ears Motel $101

Alpine Inn $92

Best Western Alpenglo $214

Rental Car $205

Flight $163

Total Trip Cost (less food,gas, souvenier crap., supplies)

$874

(plus possible lift ticket expense if I ski on final day for a few hours)

Edited by phillycore

http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com/2005/

Those are the good hot springs. You need 4wd to get up there though. There is also a van that brings people from town, but I don't know the details. I don't know what my situation will be, but if I can, I'll meet you at steamboat. That place is just plain fun, no matter what you are riding.

Awesome phillycore..

Here is a place to check out...right in town..a block or two from where you are staying....

http://www.steamboathotsprings.org/

Not Found

The requested URL /" target="_blank was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.39 Server at www.steamboathotsprings.org Port 80

Glenn,

That link you posted has a link on it to two different shuttle companies so that would probably be better to use for me since the sebring isn't 4wd...= (

4wd rental vehicles are mad $$$ out of Denver intl. though... been there done that...

You'd think the rental companies in weather areas would use more subies and 4wd / awd cars/suv's n their fleet but they'd rather jack the rates up and make more $$ instead of using volume..

Those rental companies don't like foreign cars. I don't think they can get fleet rates like they can with domestic. If I have the night off, I'll drive you up there which will save the shuttle cost. I'm in the middle of a job change right now, and don't know what my schedule will be come that time.

Core, maybe you'll get lucky like a friend of mine did a week or so ago. He was supposed to get a Sebring as well, and when he got here they didn't have any left. So they sent him out to the lot to talk to the guys out there. They spoke really broken english, and all he heard was that he was supposed to get like a mustang or something. They just told him to go grab one and be on his way. He was walking through the lot and noticed all the keys were in the car. So he takes a turn and stairs an h2 and an extera in the face. He said fuck it, hopped in the xtera and off he went.

Never reported back to me as to weather or not they charged him more when he got back, but I'm guessing not. Worked really well for him as it was dumping the day he got here.

• 3 weeks later...