Colorado peeps... question

phillycore

Just got back from spending the weekend in Fraser skiing WP and Loveland. WP is a bit out of the way due to crossing the Berthoud Pass on Rt. 40. You don't wan't to cross it more than you have to especially if the weather is bad. It's about 45 min. to WP from I70 in good weather.

You didn't say if you're traveling alone or with someone, but either way, here's a great place stay in Fraser. The Rocky Mountain Inn & Hostel Private rooms are $109.00 on weekends and dorm rooms are about $30.00+. Free shuttle stops 50 yds. away and takes you right to WP. Less walking than if you drive and walk to the gondola from the parking lot. WP day tickets are $92.00 :blink: so use the pass or buy discount tickets at King Soopers in Denver. If you're going alone the dorm rooms are a great deal and you'll meet some interesting people. You may even have a room to yourself. Have fun and give us a report. Conditions this past weekend were Powder on Packed Powder! :chea:

Edited by trackbiker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about 45 min. to WP from I70 in good weather.

If you drive like a grandma. More often than not though, there will be bad weather and you will get behind someone that is terrified of the switchbacks on the way down. So 45 min is a good bet. It definitely takes longer than you expect. You are in the mountains though, so it's not about rushing anywhere. Just sit back and enjoy the beatiful scenery, the crisp mountain air, and the texan fishtailing in front of you about to plow into a guard rail.

I looked into the hostel and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I'm just not too sure on the whole shared room aspect of things.

It's not like I haven't had to share a room before so I'm not really sure what my hangup is honestly.

I guess you just need to lock up your bag and take advantage of the lockers and everything would be good.

I dunno... it just wierds me out, I guess

I looked into the hostel and I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I'm just not too sure on the whole shared room aspect of things.

It's not like I haven't had to share a room before so I'm not really sure what my hangup is honestly.

I guess you just need to lock up your bag and take advantage of the lockers and everything would be good.

I dunno... it just wierds me out, I guess

I lived in a hostel for about half a week here in Boulder when I first got here. It really is not bad sharing. A lot of times it is like a room set up for like 4-6, and you may only get 1-2 others in there. I also stayed in one in LA, and I've never been in a room that was at capacity. Save yourself the money and frustration of lockers and just keep everything locked in the rental car. Do your best to make it so that you can't easily see gear in the back, etc etc. Long and short of it, if you're really concerned bout saving some green go for the hostel. I'd prolly just bring a good zero degree bag and sleep in my car. No cheaper then that.

Do they have discount tickets to Breck? I'll be in CO from 1/23-1/31, mostly at Breck and would love to get some kind of discount.

99% sure Safeway offers discounted tickets for breck.

Do they have discount tickets to Breck? I'll be in CO from 1/23-1/31, mostly at Breck and would love to get some kind of discount.

When I went to Breck they had a pass that was good at Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Beaver, and Vail

Breck is nice, but you may want to consider a day at some of the others as well.

This may help...

$ave

Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, and Keystone in Colorado, and Heavenly in California and Nevada are rolling back multi-day lift tickets to 2007-2008 rates. The goodwill gesture is a way to make it easier for skiers and snowboarders to take their winter mountain vacation this season.

"We recognize these are challenging times for many of our guests and we have taken numerous steps to make it easier for them to visit our world-class mountain resorts this season by addressing various components of a ski and snowboard vacation," said Rob Katz, chief executive officer for Vail Resorts. The Company's five mountain resorts are offering last season's prices for both PEAKS advance ticket purchases and PEAKS window ticket purchase for all multi-day lift tickets for three or more days of skiing and riding.

"In light of these difficult economic times, we've decided to ... accommodate our most loyal (and the vast majority) guests. They're the ones who spend a long weekend, week or more with us each season," explained company spokesperson Kelly Ladyga, who added, "We have reduced or held steady the vast majority of our lift ticket and season pass prices this year."

Three-day adult rates for Breckenridge and Keystone are $249 ($83 per day), $267 ($89 per day) for Vail and Beaver Creek, and $228 ($76 per day) for Heavenly. These rates represent up to $27 off of the lead single-day window rate which is $92 for Breckenridge and Keystone, $97 for Vail and Beaver Creek, and $82 for Heavenly.

Guests can purchase the discounted multi-day rate online at www.snow.com, through Vail Resorts Central Reservations, or at the resort ticket window. Advance lift ticket purchases are automatically enrolled in PEAKS Rewards, the free loyalty program for Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Heavenly. Tickets will be loaded onto a PEAKS Reward Pass and guests can go direct to the lift when they arrive at a resort. Plus, they earn and redeem points on lift ticket purchases.

Edited by phillycore

When I went to Breck they had a pass that was good at Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Beaver, and Vail

Breck is nice, but you may want to consider a day at some of the others as well.

I'm flying in friday night and Sat I was planning on hitting Loveland. I'm meeting up with a buddy who scored some slopeside condo at Breck sat night. So the plan was to hit Breck for most of the week, and then likely do Keystone or somewhere else at the tail end of the week.

I'm flying in friday night and Sat I was planning on hitting Loveland. I'm meeting up with a buddy who scored some slopeside condo at Breck sat night. So the plan was to hit Breck for most of the week, and then likely do Keystone or somewhere else at the tail end of the week.

Def hit up Keystone, place is a ton of fun.

I won't do the hostel thing..I need privacy..and there's no way I'm going to get a good nights sleep with strangers around.

The Rocky Mountain Inn also has private rooms at great rates in the WP area. The rooms are big with multiple beds if you have a family or group. A frig in every room, free movie rentals and breakfast is included. They also offer discount tickets to WP. I don't know the discount because I had a B1G1 coupon.

Not completely sure what the prices are, but I'd guess it is either the same deal or worse. I'd do the online deal just so you don't have to waste your time stopping at a store.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess I could actually pick up a phone and call safeway, but who talks to people anymore.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess I could actually pick up a phone and call safeway, but who talks to people anymore.

And just a heads up, Safeway and most of the major stores are sort of few and far between in the high country. So you'd need to stop in or around Denver on your way if you do go that route.

Edit: I also just heard a rumor the other day that if you buy 10vitamin waters at a King Supers you can get a free lift ticket to Winter Park. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how this all works or if it is even true. It may be worth a shot though. The worst that can happen is you drop like 15bones on drinks for the time you're here.

Edited by nick malozzi

Just called safeway and its somewhat of a bust.

They do sell the tickets, but for the exact same cost as the mt. ie $92 for one day. They did have 3 days for $231 though, so thats kinda cool because to get that price online you have to purchase 7 days in advance. I'll just click some buttons online and take care of it now though.

ehh, keystone sucks, unless you are a park rat. They have decent terrain up high, but the hikes to get there are extremely long, on the order of 1-3 hours depending on where you want to go.

I dunno man, aside from destroying my base I had a blast up there and didn't even lay eyes on the park. We found some awesome untouched powder in the trees without hiking at all. I'd go back there any day.

I dunno man, aside from destroying my base I had a blast up there and didn't even lay eyes on the park. We found some awesome untouched powder in the trees without hiking at all. I'd go back there any day.

I was only there once, but I don't ski park whatsoever and like you found plenty of fresh in the trees..

(The Grizz and wolverine were the shit... then again I pretty much liked everything off the outback express)