Thinkin about ski's

Santa Clauss

Ok so lets face it, i'm up at sno 5 days a week, they havent had any new trails open in a while, the parks a joke, and i'm getin freeken board, I skied when I was a little kid and i tried again last year with rental skiis, after 2 hours i was killing the hardest terrain sno had to offer, i did play ice hockey for 11 years and i can skate better than i can walk which helped greatly.

So i have my bonus check layin around some christmas cash and some other funds.

I'de like to get some ski's soon but have no freeken clue

first thing i noticed is why aren't there good online ski stores, there's tons of freeken shred shops but not much for ski's

ebay blows for ski's because when ever i search I get a ton of listings for "classic" or "vintage" ski's and its annoying the shit...

It looks like boots are expensive!

I want ski's for the bumps but would i be compromising in performance if I got twin tips? I don't want to be limited in case i want to go to the park, and its not like i'm gonna race or anything.

what brands are good, whats junk.

and i'm 5'10" and about 200 pounds, what would be a good size ski for me?

I'm willing to spend $700-$900 is this reasonable for a decent package? I don't ride junk and i want them to last a while.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated because I sure am getting board on the board and i don't have the time to drive anywhere else to ride.

EDIT: i'm probably gonna head up to the ski corner around 12 and see what they have

Edited by davieclauss

There are killer deals on Newschoolers. mostly used stuff, a lot of it is well used, but there are a lot of good deals on "older equipment" that is in great shape. newschoolers.com then click on the buy/sell/trade forum.

a lot of shops have last years equipment and older that is new. Ask them what the best deal they can make on it. Tell them you are a buyer and they will bend over backwards..

If you were close to me in Newark, I could get you a brand new set up easily in your range for example.

take a park skier friend with you to the shops, ask to speak with managers, not the clerks.

wtf, why are ski's so damn expensive? there literally the price of two snowboards...

Because with how fat skis are getting these days you pretty much are buying two snowboards.

Backcountry is a great way to get this years new gear. Click on the button at the top of their page that says "Outlet" that will have all their deals on older stuff. Usually 40-60% off, and sometimes more depending. There are also lots of great reviews of all their products which for someone who is unfamiliar/unsure it could be very helpful.

nick, well apparently backcountry is not having any sales on there alpine ski's, i see price ranges from 600+ I plan on around 300 for boots 400 for ski's and 200 for bindings, if anyone thinks this is not enough just tell me.

Thats pretty realistic pricing so you should be able to figure something out. I just got skis (should be heading out to pick them up from being mounting in about an hour) for the first time in 7 years after a long stint snowboarding for pretty much exactly the reasons you stated.

I paid $325 for Dalbello Proton 8s.

I paid $200 for used Line Prophet 90s (used 4 days)

I paid $175 for the bindings that came with the Lines, I don't know what they are at the moment but I trust the guy selling them to me

So I paid $700 to get into it. And you could easily see $400 for skis so $900 getting in. It is significantly more expensive than snowboarding. The bindings involved a lot more engineering, the boots involve a lot of expensive parts and pieces, and the skis carry higher loads over a smaller cross section which requires them to be stronger so more composite and less core. You ratio of core material to composite in a snowboard is signficantly cheaper than the ratio of core to composite in a ski.

I would definately go with twins, there is no disadvantage on hitting trails on twins for our level, at the top end when you really want to blast down a trail or race then I could see avoiding the twin, but the twins ski so well there is no reason to avoid them. I would say Rossi, Volkl, Line have good options for all around twin tips. I've heard good things about other brands so thats hardly a completely list but I considered the Line Prophet, the Volkl Kharma, the Rossi Scratch and a few others.

For boots, I would buy those in the store, pay any amount for the right boot. For skis and bindings I would get them used or last years stuff for now. It doesnt' matter how beat they are when you are just going back.

yeah i'm leaving now, Idk those ski's... i think I'm more interested in going new just because i don't know how used they were, i also don't know what size ski I need or setback, i'm basically oblivious right now towards setup, even maintenance, i know how to wax and ptex but i don't know anything about ski bindings. i'm just gonna go see what the shop says, as for the money, i checked my balance and i'm good to spend up to $900, even a little more, i mean, i'm still young, live at home, no girly, good job... and there's just something that brings back memories and nostalgic feelings of my childhood when i'm up there but boarding is just getting boring.

If you want good park skis that will be bomb proof and last, look for Head. Either older Head Mad Trix or newer Head Jon Olsson PM. These skis are tough and wont break on you, but are very stiff. A good ski will cost you some money.

Also on either tramdock or backcountry they have 07 Rossignol Scratch Steezes for either $199 or $299 (I forget) but in all sizes. Thats a great ski, for an even better price.

Edited by Sno Mountain Skier

mission accomplished, spent $740 and i'm pretty happy about that, He set me up with k2 silencers with head mojo 11 bindings and the boots by tecnica i don't remember the name, pick them up around tuesday.

you got to the shop before i could chime in on this one, but the silencer was a ski that would have been at the top of my suggestion list. 299 for a solid all mountain ski that is very capable in the park is great way to get back into the ski scene. obviously the boots were based on your foot, but the boots are the most important part. if the boots arent a good fit, you're not going to have a good day on snow.

mission accomplished, spent $740 and i'm pretty happy about that, He set me up with k2 silencers with head mojo 11 bindings and the boots by tecnica i don't remember the name, pick them up around tuesday.

Excellent...! Sounds like a decent set up.

have fun. take it easy and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of people with deep knowledge like Justo. Keep us posted on how things go.

Thanks! Yes I tried the boots on and they felt good, really comfortable and I liked how adjustable the straps were, they were heavily discounted and I believe I got the last pair, overall I saved over $200 off msrp. I'm sorry the boots were NOT by tecnica, they were by Dalbello they were the Aerro 60's. the ski's are size 169

Edited by davieclauss

Thanks! Yes I tried the boots on and they felt good, really comfortable and I liked how adjustable the straps were, they were heavily discounted and I believe I got the last pair, overall I saved over $200 off msrp. I'm sorry the boots were NOT by tecnica, they were by Dalbello they were the Aerro 60's. the ski's are size 169

Nice, the Dalbello's are really great right now.

i would have gone a size bigger on the skis, but i guess those will work. where did you have them mounted?

there getting mounted at the ski corner, I just saw something on youtube saying that this ski is meant for a light teen/adult, i'm 200 pounds, should i be worried?

i would have gone with a longer ski. it should still work for you well since this is pretty much your first time back on skis. see how they work and if you need something bigger, then get them.