Thinkin about ski's

Santa Clauss

Toast I hope your right, I just called up the shop, just in time infact, I asked to swap them with the 179's, I guess My ski's were next in line to get mounted... I'll pick em' up tonight, try em' out, and give a review when I get home!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Edited by davieclauss

Toast I hope your right, I just called up the shop, just in time infact, I asked to swap them with the 179's, I guess My ski's were next in line to get mounted... I'll pick em' up tonight, try em' out, and give a review when I get home!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

well let me just say this... i weigh a little less than you, and i'm 3 inches taller than you and i'm riding on a pair of 185 all mountain skis, and 176 park skis. i think going to the 179s was a good choice, for sure.

too tired, i'll update tomorrow, they were nice though, I progressed a lot tonight and i think i'll be hiting the park in no time.

boulder has a great beginners park now.. just saying cause they haven't had that in the past. Sorry for hyping Boulder, but its true. along with the college student discount today/tonight... ah yep..... you should know lots of sno transpalnts there willing to give park tips.

Yeah, It was a good time, Its "Humbling" i guess the word, to be back at like a beginners level when it comes to riding the mountain, since i've played hockey for so long i'm really good at skating, so stopping hockey style was super easy and I got that down, I found a uncrowded trail and worked on skiing backwards, got that down a bit, i'll go back tomorrow and work on it some more. Yeah and I asked a former park crew member and he pretty much said get used to the ski's before I try anything in the park, which made sense... I have a lot to learn.

Yeah, It was a good time, Its "Humbling" i guess the word, to be back at like a beginners level when it comes to riding the mountain, since i've played hockey for so long i'm really good at skating, so stopping hockey style was super easy and I got that down, I found a uncrowded trail and worked on skiing backwards, got that down a bit, i'll go back tomorrow and work on it some more. Yeah and I asked a former park crew member and he pretty much said get used to the ski's before I try anything in the park, which made sense... I have a lot to learn.

Glad it went well for you. I went out for my first day on skis today and had a blast. I remembered it pretty quick and was blasting around, but skiing backwards is a lot harder than riding switch. I used to be able to do it but when I was trying it today I could only turn in one direction. I hit a few jumps but man, toe bang is a killer. I have 0 interest is hitting jibs on my skis because I want to keep them tuned for free riding, but I had thought jumps would be fun as hell, but I really beat up my feet when I hit them.

Yeah, I'm nowhere even close to being able to jib, I Progressed even more today, keeping my feet close together carving back and forth, i'm getting it down, but there's still those "Ohh shit!" i'll be back up tomorrow...

Yea the thing I was focusing on was keeping the knees in the right position on the turn, I spent some time watching youtube instructional videos and it helped a lot. It is so weird being a noob.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I've been skiing for a month now and I'll admit that its pretty fucking fun, I'm becoming proficient skiing switch and just started in the park a couple days ago, the k2's are great for the mountain but 179's make them a little bulky in the park, not to mention there a little heavy, I found someone who might buy my banana, I find myself skiing more than riding these days, not that i'm gonna quit riding, its just that i'm having difficulty switching back and forth between the banana and the DH due to the size and stance difference. Since I already have a freeride board that's a blast on the mountain and I would defiantly prefer ski's for those normal pa condition day's, I think It might be a good idea to down size.

The whole point of this!

When I was pickin out my ski's I noticed the Lib tech NAS (Narrow Ass Snowboard's) I would have jumped on them but they were like 157's (Or around there) I talked to my friend last night and he may buy the banana for $300. I just found a pair of 168's on ebay for $300, maybe its fate?

Anyone ride the NAS?

I'm just looking for a lighter ski that would be mounted centered (Progressive? thats what you call it right?) in a smaller length

Also would need bindings, On the k2's are head mojo 11's and they were good for the mountain but I want something lighter and meant for the park, I found the "Look Px 12 Jib Trouble" on ebay for only $149 anyone know anything?

Sean Jordan rides the NAS as far as I know. Not sure if he has changed to something else as of this point in the season. He liked them, but usually people do when its extremely affordable.

Honestly $300 for a pair of twin-tips on e-bay these days is only okay. The first year the Salomon Dumonts came out I scored a pair pre-season on e-bay for $250. That ski went for $450+ in shops and online all season long. Keep looking and you'll find better deals.

If you're looking for some lighter skis in a little bit shorter length on closeout look for Rossi Scratch WRS, obviously just a shorter length in the Silencers, some of Salomons older stuff like Foils and Thrusters, Dynastar Troublemakers, etc... These skis are kind of all over the performance range so if you see something on a deal just let us know and some of us will be able to give you an experienced opinion on it. You might also see if the shop you bought those Silencers from with let you demo something shorter if they have it. Probably won't let you take it on rails but you'll get an idea of swing weight and such.

Look PX12 Jib Troubles are a solid binding with a proven history. Can't go wrong there and you can usually find some great deals on them.

Edited by T*Maki

Yeah I just looked into them and they say the break's fit up to 80mm wide, the NAS are 84, its only 4mm come on, would it still work?

And I feel the 168's may be too small because I would still like to use these for the whole mountain not just park, I think I may hold out for 176 or just look for something else.

Edited by CLAUSS

Yeah I just looked into them and they say the break's fit up to 80mm wide, the NAS are 84, its only 4mm come on, would it still work?

And I feel the 168's may be too small because I would still like to use these for the whole mountain not just park, I think I may hold out for 176 or just look for something else.

They sell a wide brake for the PX12's, you need that for them to work. Most places will swap out the standard one for the wide one for free. My bacon's are 114 waist...they fit on there, haha.

168 is wayyyyy too small for you. You said you were 5'10" and about 200 pounds...well I'm 5'8" on a good day and weigh about 140lbs. My moments are 181 mounted true center, and my bacons are 184 mounted at the recommended point which is a little back from center. Neither ski feels too big at all. In fact they feel just right. It might not be such a good idea to go for a 180+ ski as your first (I started on 171's, once I started hitting jumps I realized I needed something longer) but I'd definitely get at least the 176, especially if you're center mounting them. Doing that will make a ski feel much much shorter than it is, plus the extra length makes landings way smoother. It might be a little harder to spin and butter at first, but if you're just learning still then don't worry about it.

keep what you have man and dont go smaller. you will learn to like the longer skis, and once you are on smaller ones you will be pissed. haha.

I was riding tonight and my friend was using my ski's, I really think there mounted traditional, theres at least 5in more in the front than the back, I don't know whats officially modern or traditional but they are defiantly goofy looking compared to everyone elses ski's, when I had the shop mounted I told them I would be in the park and stuff, but I think they mounted them the way they did because they thought I Was a beginner.

So The lib tech's would be nice but i'm not a fan of the orange and blue different ski's (Thats how the sale is on ebay)

your defiantly right about the size I realized that if there mounted center it would be a much shorter ski so I should go at least 180.

any recommendations for a great bang for the buck ski a little wider, lighter, more flex, but still good for the mountain? don't really care for crazy graphics, but something that looks sick.

hey if anyone wants to get rid of a pair i'm interested in buying used if there not too beet.