JF 12/30/08

bigdaddyk

The morning started off windy in the lots, but wind wasn't much of an issue on the trails. I did three runs down exhibition to start off. The snow was nicely groomed and they blew some snow on various trails. I hopped around a little bit and lapped thunderbolt and challenge. The snow on Thunderbolt was a little slow and there were a few ruts, mainly because the new snow seemed to be on the wet side. I hit east mt. a couple times, later on, and it was already getting scraped off. They regroomed demattes and exhibition around 10 am, so I lapped them a bunch of times. I saw A-Jeff early, but didn't meet up with him till close to leaving time and we did about four runs. He thought that the morning started off a little cold, which didn't bother me because my Wal Mart jacket did the job B) . Wednesday looks to be a good day, with cold temps and a few inches of snow expected.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Decided last minute last night to ditch Blue Mountain, and head up to Jack Frost with my friend Tom, who I'm going to Jackson Hole with. We left at 6:50am from my house, and with his insanely fast driving up the turnpike, we were at Jack Frost by 7:35am. It was 28 degrees and windy at the top of Jack Frost. It felt colder. We booted up, got our tickets, and then hit the snow.

Our first run was down Challenge. It was nice soft fresh cord, something I'm not used to skiing on :) We headed immediately over to East Mountain to make a few turns. Riding up the lift, there was only 1 set of tracks on all the trails we could see. A few runs later, we headed back of to Tbolt and lapped that via the quad for about 10 runs, varying off to some of the other trails next to it. We continued to see BDK, but he didn't want to ski with us :crymore:

Eventually met up with BDK. He's skiing really well on his nice skis. Turns are looking good :rock We skied Exhibition a few times. Snow conditions were still very smooth, and reasonably grippy. There was a chunky area here or there due to some quick snow making last night, which could have been delayed to preserve the conditions, instead of making them variable.

We headed out around 11:20am as I had to get back for work. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and temperatures had risen to around 33 degrees when we left. The nice thing about JF is it's sheltered from the wind so once you got away from the top, it was a very nice temperature to be skiing. Awesome day at JF!

Due to a work schedule change I won't be skiing mid week at JF but primarily on weekends now so I just got back from Big Boulder. It was fairly crowded tonight, clear and cold with major dust on crust conditions with ice in the middle of the trails, I did most of my runs on Draufganger with a few on Boulder Park and a run on Bunny's Elbow, Snowdrift and Little Boulder. The icy middle of the trails meant hanging out on the the far edges of the trails was key. Still fun though (skiing always is). Happy New Year everyone.

Jeff will soon be a JF fan boy if Blue keeps screwing up.

JF kicks ass with snow quality,.... the lifts are just soooo dang slow...

Meh....Blue is 22 minutes door to door on a weekend morning. Jack Frost is 50, and more then 3x the miles.

Regardless, I prefer BB to JF, actually. Boulder Park is the best trail either of those mountains has.

Due to a work schedule change I won't be skiing mid week at JF but primarily on weekends now so I just got back from Big Boulder. It was fairly crowded tonight, clear and cold with major dust on crust conditions with ice in the middle of the trails, I did most of my runs on Draufganger with a few on Boulder Park and a run on Bunny's Elbow, Snowdrift and Little Boulder. The icy middle of the trails meant hanging out on the the far edges of the trails was key. Still fun though (skiing always is). Happy New Year everyone.

Did you have to wait long for the lift lines or did you get on a lift reasonably quick?

There wasn't much of a wait at JF today.

Edited by Robert2

Thats one thing nice about JFBB.Even on a seemingly crowded day,there is hardly ever too bad of a lift line.That is the advantage of using a bunch of fixed-grip lifts versus two or so HSQ's.With HSQ's,most of the skiers/riders are out on the slopes and are also waiting in line.Where with the slower lifts most skiers/riders are stored on a chair leading to uncrowed runs and smaller liftlines.While I know it's nice to get a lot of runs/vert in and not freeze up on a chair,most JFBB customers go there for the relaxed pace,scenery plus the out in the wilderness feel of the area.

Gotta admit though, first 4 runs today at Blue had better grooming then anything I skied yesterday at JF.

Just sayin ;)

[/quote

You can't compare today to yesterday. I had great runs today at Shawnee compared to Camelback the day before, but if you scratched the snow aside you could see the surface from yesterday below that.

Gotta admit though, first 4 runs today at Blue had better grooming then anything I skied yesterday at JF.

Just sayin ;)

You can't compare today to yesterday.

I just did, lol.

I'm sure Blue this morning was better then JF this morning. It was THAT good. It was shit in an hour, but that's not a result of their grooming. It's the lack of moisture in the snow causing it to become sweet n low in an hour.

You can't compare today to yesterday.

I just did, lol.

I'm sure Blue this morning was better then JF this morning. It was THAT good. It was shit in an hour, but that's not a result of their grooming. It's the lack of moisture in the ice causing it to become sweet n low in an hour.

Fixed