JF 1/2/09

bigdaddyk

I woke up at 6:30 and was exhausted and went back to bed, after hitting the snooze button for a couple of hours, I got up at 11:45 and made it to JF at 12:50. This by far was the biggest crowd of the year. All the main lots on the left looked full, so I didn't even try them....cars were circling around. I kept going and hit the first lot after the slopes, by the far west slope and got a spot. I assume that most people don't even know about the lots just past the slopes. I had slope side parking and hit ridge run. Getting to the bottom, there was a hellascious line at both double chairs, so I crossed over to the triples and there was also a line there. I didn't have to wait though, since I went up through and hit a group of two people and took the chair up. They said they usually go to Blue, but skipped it today because they thought it would be crowded and a friend told them about the quality of JF. I actually took a few chairs with people who said they normally go to Blue or CB. The slopes themselves didn't seem to be crowded, but the lifts were busy. Going single has it's advantage on crowded days...I kept hitting chairs with people who were trying to get on, without being at capacity. The attendants also started grouping people, which helped a lot. Exhibition had some nice snow on it, although it was ungroomed and kind of bumpy, especially at the bottom. I ended up lapping Challenge a bunch of times and stayed on the quad because it had the shortest line, before heading out. Overall, I thought that conditions were still pretty good, considering what time I arrived.

Edited by bigdaddyk

Very nice powder conditions today.

THE most crowded I've ever seen it but considering its the last day of the

holiday week it was to be expected.

Tomorrow will be just as crowded but don't let that stop you from coming out

to play.

The lift lines moved fast enough .... just enough time for me to drink a

V8 and toss the can in the trash before getting on the lift.

Monday they will all be back to school and I'll have the place to myself again

with no lift lines.

Was Floyds open? I'll be hitting Boulder later tomorrow night. Hopefully the crowds will have dissipated a little by then.

Snowmakers said Floyds would open Monday morning. There was a shitload of snow on it, 10-15 foot piles top to bottom, the runout looked bare though (guess they'll push snow down onto it). They were setting up for more snowmaking on Floyds.

I was at JF and BB today with TT C6. Had a good time, personally I like to ski JF better but we shot over to BB for a few hours in the afternoon and I snowboarded a few runs then switched back to skis when a binding broke. Had a good time, TT C6 is a cool guy and I'm definitely glad he talked me into heading up to Jack Frost instead of Blue. There are some fun trails at JF, I'll definitely head back when there's some more snow in the trees, the was some cool stuff to play around in.

No, floyds wasnt open. I saw them moving around the blowers on to get the skiers rightside of the trail cause it looked a little bare. Great quality snow today just very crowded. Saw TT C6 and I think he said his friend was Steve? Kinda of took a couple runs with them, said they were going to boulder but i guess they left before i got there or we just never crossed paths.

We got to boulder at 8:10am and had the place completely to ourselves until 10;30. It really started filling up at 11:30. We mostly stayed on th new beginner park on Tannanbaum, which is so boring for me since I won't try any of the rails. But my kids were having a blast on it. Lapped MittlI-weg a bunch of times.

My son won a silver medal on that trail the other day at the mountain dew challenge.

/shameless bragging mother rant.

After a very inexperienced skiier came within a foot of taking me down on Bunny,s it was time to call it a day.

Heading to Frost in an hour. I haven't slept in one day of this super long Christmas break. I may even blow off my son's ski team lessons tomorrow.

Had a good time, TT C6 is a cool guy and I'm definitely glad he talked me into heading up to Jack Frost instead of Blue. There are some fun trails at JF, I'll definitely head back when there's some more snow in the trees, the was some cool stuff to play around in.

Mid-week at Frost with decent snow in the trees can be as good as it gets in this part of ski country.

Snowmakers said Floyds would open Monday morning. There was a shitload of snow on it, 10-15 foot piles top to bottom, the runout looked bare though (guess they'll push snow down onto it). They were setting up for more snowmaking on Floyds.

When they were blowing snow on Floyds on Thursday, a lot of that snow was drifting onto Risk It. :rock

JF was not crowded early. Crowds didn't come until around lunchtime. I never thought they were unmanagable.

Condiitons at JF were outstanding early in the day. First runs were on nice crunchy packed powder and even some nice ungroomed on the sides of the trails. My 7-year old and I had an especially fun time on the ungroomed Exhibition and the trees off of Challenger. JF is the best when it comes to tree skiing in the Poconos. When we left JF at around 2:30 PM, I thought the conditions were still pretty decent and the crowds not that terrible (I've certainly experienced worse at JF).

We then headed over to BB as I haven't been there in years and my son wanted to play in the terrain parks. We got on the slopes around 3:30 PM and it was much more crowded and the conditions much icier (granted it was late in the day). We hit most of the mountain and finished skiing in the Tannanbaum Park under the lights until about 6:30 PM.