Need advice on new skis

kragan

I hit up JF on Friday for the demo day that Buckman's had set up (Thanks John!) and tried the Salomon X-Wing Fury 177's and LOVED them. Unfortunately, due to the cold and my GF waiting for me in the lodge, I couldn't try other skis. So looking online I have found several other skis that seem very similar and some of last year's models that will save some $$$. Here is what I am considering:

Atomic Nomad Crimson TI 176

Salomon X-Wing Fury 177

Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel 178

Fischer RX Cold Heat 176

Obviously the Salomon and the Atomic's are more expensive. Also, the Nordica and Fischer are less expensive because I have found some left-overs from last year.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the skis listed above? I really wished I had more time to try the other skis, but that just wasn't in my cards. The Salomons felt like I was skiing on rails and was absolutely glued to the mountain. All of the skis listed have nearly identical specs and are all rated as an expert all mountain "mid fat" ski. I don't care about edge to edge speed nor small radius turns. These are all listed at about an 18m radius.

Any information is appreciated!

Well I think that I have narrowed it down to the Fischer Cold Heat (after reading a lot of reviews). Now I am unsure of sizing. They are offered in the 176 and a 182. I am 6' tall and weigh 190 and ski very aggressive. I think that I am right between the 2 sizes.

Well I think that I have narrowed it down to the Fischer Cold Heat (after reading a lot of reviews). Now I am unsure of sizing. They are offered in the 176 and a 182. I am 6' tall and weigh 190 and ski very aggressive. I think that I am right between the 2 sizes.

Its not really based on how tall you are but rather how you like to ski, there are 125lb women that put more power into their ski than 200lb men.

I'd go with the 182, its not a ton of extra length but enough to help with chattering and stability. There nothing worse the finding out your ski tops out 10mph slower than you do. Since you like to ski with power the 182 will also tend to ski a little faster with the increased surface area. Additionally if you do come across and pow or chop the increased float would help.

The radius on that ski is pretty low so you should still be able to carve the snot out of it.