NASTAR ????s

NJSkiFamily

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should preface this by saying I am no expert, these are just my observations.

It seems to me any handicap system would be faulty. Even from what I understand of the more serious racing "leagues" (not sure if thats correct terminology, but oh well), there is a system to try to make a meaningful comparison between a race at mountain A on a icy december day and a race at mountain B on powder day in february. The point isn't whether or not the system is perfect, the point is whether the organization is making REASONABLE efforts to make them as close to a flawless system as possible.

I understand that to you (ski999) the importance of re-pacing the coarse isn't important. I also understand that you feel that a medal is important as a motivating factor for kids (maybe adults too as well. You feel this way in spite of the fact that is "just for fun." Likewise, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect other people to feel that a properly paced (or re-paced) coarse is important for their own gratification. Even when you play basketball "just for fun" with friends, you still keep score, because it gives focus to the game. Sure its cool to track your own improvement (shots/assists/etc), but its also real good to know you beat someone.

All this in mind, Ridge IS #1 in the state, he raced the coarses according to the rules/policies laid down by NASTAR. So in NASTAR Ridge is #1 in state, that doesn't mean he is necessarily the best racer in the state in his age group, but likewise it doesn't mean he isn't. I like to believe cream rises to the top. So congratulations to Ridge and keep up the good work.

Alright I'll shut up now and let people who know what they are talking about speak.

I just got a thought that I am going to bet on in the kids vs adult arena.. Wind drag!!! I am betting that Ridge's smaller body mass streamlined is going to play a huge effect on his numbers tonight with the wind gusts the way they are right now.. Either he will get blown off the course or he will slice through the wind.. BMI - I wonder how and if that equates to performance..

I noticed last night that the other regular racers seemed to be relatively consistent with their scores (only slightly lower with an exception or two) - the other racers are adults... Yet dude and ridge whose BMI is unnaturally low :blink: inconsistently scored faster... this whole idea may be silly - but for me.... a proud parent.. it gives me one more thing to think about.

How does BMI factor into speed racing and acceleration.. is it an unfair advantage for the kids against the pace setters??

Golly gee wiz.. I'm taking the "fun" out of all this, aint i? :confused

Gotta run!!! BC bound!! Will report later...

Rob

I should preface this by saying I am no expert, these are just my observations.   

It seems to me any handicap system would be faulty. Even from what I understand of the more serious racing "leagues" (not sure if thats correct terminology, but oh well), there is a system to try to make a meaningful comparison between a race at mountain A on a icy december day and a race at mountain B on powder day in february. The point isn't whether or not the system is perfect, the point is whether the organization is making REASONABLE efforts to make them as close to a flawless system as possible.   

I understand that to you (ski999) the importance of re-pacing the coarse isn't important. I also understand that you feel that a medal which in the long run, is important as a motivating factor for kids (maybe adults too as well. You feel this way in spite of the fact that is "just for fun." Likewise, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect other people to feel that a properly paced (or re-paced) coarse is important for their own gratification. Even when you play basketball "just for fun" with friends, you still keep score, because it gives focus to the game. Sure its cool to track your own improvement (shots/assists/etc), but its also real good to know you beat someone. 

All this in mind, Ridge IS #1 in the state, he raced the coarses according to the rules/policies laid down by NASTAR. So in NASTAR Ridge is #1 in state, that doesn't mean he is necessarily the best racer in the state in his age group, but likewise it doesn't mean he isn't. I like to believe cream rises to the top. So congratulations to Ridge and keep up the good work.   

Alright I'll shut up now and let people who know what they are talking about speak.

WELL SAID!!! I'm sending this one to NASTAR! Bravo!! Ever think about becoming a politician???

In a tuck, heading straight down hill, the one with the more mass, will win eventaully. My 195 lbs vs skidudes 165 lbs (he looks like he is 50 lbs) gives me an advantage in the wind, cause i'm effected less. HOWEVER, in the same respect, your son has less interia, BUT he has less surface area for that wind to effect, so perhaps, it balances out. I'll see you guys there :)

I understand that to you (ski999) the importance of re-pacing the coarse isn't important.

Repacing is okay. That just starts a new race from that point on. It doesn't errase what kids earned. Recalculating---which is what they did to Montage races-- is what I think is stupid for recreational racing. Going back after a race and creating a new "standard" time. Either reset the pace, or leave it alone.

Yes, people keep score. As a youth soccer coach, we aren't supposed to, but every 4 and 5-year-old on the field knows which team scored the most goals. What's important, I believe, is for the grownups to make sure the kids are lauded for trying their best. If kids give their best and lose 10-0, then they've still been successful. Last season, we took a lot of pride in the one game we managed a scoreless tie. Numbers are fine, as long as they are kept in perspective.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, Dthmtl...

It's weird, though, being candid in my feelings about the NASTAR system when it also involves people with kids on this MB (me included). I would never in a million years put down a little kid's accomplishments, Jeff's included :D .

:D

In a tuck, heading straight down hill, the one with the more mass, will win eventaully.  My 195 lbs vs skidudes 165 lbs (he looks like he is 50 lbs) gives me an advantage in the wind, cause i'm effected less.  HOWEVER, in the same respect, your son has less interia, BUT he has less surface area for that wind to effect, so perhaps, it balances out.  I'll see you guys there  :)

Then DaveK would smoke you all.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, Dthmtl...

Thats good, I wasn't looking for an argument, just had felt I had some things to say. Also good to know someone who knows a little bit more about the racing scene didn't tear apart things I said, I guess I have a reasonable grasp of things :confused

'Dude, you love to poke people with sticks, don't you? Pretty cocky now that you're a 4 HCer :) .

Just Jeff, and uhh you.

I love how Jeff is so excited about being able to beat Ridge...Guess what, I can beat an 8 year old I bet :devil:

And uhh I have always poked Jeff with a stick...and every once in a while I poke at you too :lol:

Just Jeff, and uhh you.

I love how Jeff is so excited about being able to beat Ridge...Guess what, I can beat an 8 year old I bet :devil: 

And uhh I have always poked Jeff with a stick...and every once in a while I poke at you too :lol:

no im not excited to beat him, im excited to silence, your mom being one of them, some people :D Hey, i beat Ty, wasn't that enough? :lol:

no, i'd like to beat him.  I'm very competitive.  Hell, i was celebrating when i beat ski999 by .07 seconds  :lol: However, you better believe i'll be corkin in some fluro at the top  :D

I once asked a high school wrestler what he was thinking before his match against a girl. He explained to me it was the worst feeling in the world. Like, everyone is expecting him to win easily. But his life would be over if something went wrong and he lost. Not just bad, but over. For the girl, it was a fun challenge, with no expectations. For him, it was life and death.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...you ain't the chick in that story.

Not to screw with your psych, but how did we do going head-to-head in our first and last runs that night?

Man, this is going to be interesting. :yes

I once asked a high school wrestler what he was thinking before his match against a girl. He explained to me it was the worst feeling in the world. Like, everyone is expecting him to win easily. But his life would be over if something went wrong and he lost. Not just bad, but over. For the girl, it was a fun challenge, with no expectations. For him, it was life and death.

Not to screw with your psych, but how did we do going head-to-head in our first and last runs that night?

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Well put.

hah, well, the thing is, I've already beat the "chick" at montage, by alot. :lol: but yes, that analogy is correct :rofl

Ridge did it...He beat Jeff...

There goes all the crap talking....

Jeff... (time/hc)

Male 17-20

Yellow 17.76/ 12.12 Gold best

Yellow 18.05/ 13.95 Silver

Yellow 18.44/ 16.41 Silver

Yellow 19.16/ 20.96 Silver

Yellow 18.10/ 14.27 Silver

Yellow 17.77/ 12.18 Gold

Yellow 18.29/ 15.47 Silver

Yellow 18.56/ 17.17 Silver

Ridge...(time/hc)

Male 9-10

Yellow 18.78 18.56 Gold

Yellow 17.87 12.82 Gold

Yellow 17.99 13.57 Gold

Yellow 18.20 14.90 Gold

Yellow 17.74 11.99 Gold best

Yellow 17.95 13.32 Gold

Yellow 17.82 12.50 Gold

Yellow 18.05 13.95 Gold

Yellow 17.95 13.32 Gold

Ridge...You rock my world dude...Go kill em :rofl

hey, I don't like to do this, but skidude, you leave me no choice....let's see how I did against him at montage, shall we? same day, mind you.

my best (only took two runs, i could've done much better):

Yellow 29.24 16.54 Silver

his best:

Yellow 31.05 23.75 Gold

Run a real course, then we'll see. :D