NASTAR ????s

NJSkiFamily

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skidude and Skimom are at CB's NASTAR course all the time, so they can be more detailed, but it's simple. Use the lift for Raceway trail and come down to the start shack. I believe CB's NASTAR begins at 12:30pm. You'll need to fill out a brief entry/waiver form. Under 18 kids need a parent/guardian signature. It'll help if you have your NASTAR number (assigned on the website, it has the first three letters of your name, followed by numbers). Some ski areas want you to also include your name, age, and address, but it's really not necessary, since they uplink to the NASTAR database. You'll pay $5 for two runs. You just get in line and the starter will tell you when to go through the start wand. About 15 gates later, you'll go through the finish and the announcer will tell you what or if you earned a medal, which you'll pick up at the finish house after your last run. BTW, just about every NASTAR race will have other people that are first-timers. It's a very simple race course, meant to be skied by low-level intermediates and up. If you have any questions, the CB course is staffed by really friendly people that are very helpfull.

The most common NASTAR question is "Where do I sign up?" Some ski areas allow you to sign up in the lodge, usually at the ski school desk. CB used to, but I don't know now. Don't bother. All NASTAR race courses have sign-ups at the start area of the course. The idea is for people that are just skiing by decide to try it out. One other tip: have exact change. They'll love you for it.

Edited by ski999

Ski999 covered most of it. At CB they are often short staffed at the race start booth, so you can make things easier for all by signing up in the main lodge around 9-10 AM. NASTAR almost never starts before 12:45, and it's usually 1 PM. They sometimes have timer issues, so it can be later.

You only sometimes get your time and handicap at the bottom. This also depends on how well staffed they are. They almost always have someone to hand out medals at the bottom. You should check the website if they can't give you times.

Two runs is usually about right for CB - you can get unlimited runs for $10, but the lines are often long, and there is little course maintainance...

NJskifamily, why not take a run or two yourself? ;)

It works much better for everyone if you register at the main lodge before say 10am...Then take the sticker they give you (it will have your number on it) up to the start shack (on top of raceway) around 1245. (the sooner you get there, the nicer the course will be)

It works much better for everyone if you register at the main lodge before say 10am...Then take the sticker they give you (it will have your number on it) up to the start shack (on top of raceway) around 1245. (the sooner you get there, the nicer the course will be)

'dude, any word on NASTAR tonight at BC? I hope it's on for tomorrow :)

Thanks everyone - your responses are just what I'm looking for. Yeah - I wasn't sure whether or not to sign up at the lodge or at the race course.

I did register the entire family on nastar.com but I was a bit hesitant to try a race myself purely out of the embarassment factor. But since you say there are many first timers I will definitely give it a try. Can't let the kids have all the glory.

We're all looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks everyone - your responses are just what I'm looking for.  Yeah - I wasn't sure whether or not to sign up at the lodge or at the race course.

I did register the entire family on nastar.com but I was a bit hesitant to try a race myself purely out of the embarassment factor.  But since you say there are many first timers I will definitely give it a try.  Can't let the kids have all the glory.

Don't be scared it's a pretty friendly atmosphere...just enjoy yourself and have a good time with the kids.

Thanks everyone - your responses are just what I'm looking for.  Yeah - I wasn't sure whether or not to sign up at the lodge or at the race course.

I did register the entire family on nastar.com but I was a bit hesitant to try a race myself purely out of the embarassment factor.  But since you say there are many first timers I will definitely give it a try.  Can't let the kids have all the glory.

I did NASTAR for my first time this year at Montage. Now I'm hooked. Tomorrow night will be my third time :D

Don't worry about embarassment - Everyone is very suportive and encouraging - the best part is that you are racing a clock not head to head.

With the natural snow pack last night - Ridge continues to move up through the ranks as evidenced by last nights runs!! He did it!! #1 in Pennsylvania!! - He wants to know if he is racing this weekend... Thanks to Skidude and his advice to try the 150cm Vokyls

This was his first year racing - and after 11 days of Nastar racing he has steadily moved through the ranks. The NASTAR program really works well for young skiers, since they improve so quickly.. NASTAR allows you to track your own statistics and improvements.. It has been really cool to get all kinds of advice and to see the improvements as a result.

Don't worry about embarassment - Everyone is very suportive and encouraging - the best part is that you are racing a clock not head to head.

With the natural snow pack last night - Ridge continues to move up through the ranks as evidenced by last nights runs!! He did it!! #1 in Pennsylvania!! - He wants to know if he is racing this weekend... Thanks to Skidude and his advice to try the 150cm Vokyls

This was his first year racing - and after 11 days of Nastar racing he has steadily moved through the ranks.  The NASTAR program really works well for young skiers, since they improve so quickly..  NASTAR allows you to track your own statistics and improvements..  It has been really cool to get all kinds of advice and to see the improvements as a result.

He only moved to #1 because of how bad the pacesetter was, though I guess you picked the right night. Skidude, apparently should be on the US Ski Team w/ those handicaps he had. Everyone's results were screwed up, everyone was so low, and there was no excuse for an 11HC pacesetter to ski so poorly. Maybe that pacesetter will do it again tonight :naughty

He only moved to #1 because of how bad the pacesetter was, though I guess you picked the right night.  Skidude, apparently should be on the US Ski Team w/ those handicaps he had.  Everyone's results were screwed up, everyone was so low, and there was no excuse for an 11HC pacesetter to ski so poorly.  Maybe that pacesetter will do it again tonight  :naughty

Yeah - i will agree with part of that .. I analyzed as hard as I had time for and while the paceset was amiss.. It was a super fast course with little turn... Ridge was on a new set of 150cm which are 10cm longer than anything other he has.. Speedsuit, which is a first for him - he has shown steady progression each time he races throughout this season - His second fastest time, which establishes the state ranking is at 20.55 - There is no doubt in my mind that he would have beaten that number last night regardless of the artificially low paceset.. They throw out the lowest handicap and average the next 3 best times for national ranking - take the second best for the state - but you know all of that... We/he will continue to race and PROVE it to you!! :nana

There was still a reasonably well distributed range of handicaps. We (the 'dude, myself, Ridge) all had well tuned/waxed skis and speed suits on. Plus, the course was straight so it was inherently easier to maintain a good handicap. They paced 4 times before starting, then repaced at the end, but the pacetime hadn't changed enough to repace or call a second race. If it makes you feel better, I hope it's fast for you tonight.

BTW, Ridge is an awesome skier, especially for his age...:lol

They paced 4 times before starting, then repaced at the end, but the pacetime hadn't changed enough to repace or call a second race.  If it makes you feel better, I hope it's fast for you tonight. 

BTW, Ridge is an awesome skier, especially for his age...:lol

Change of plans..... We are going to head up again tonight - if I can get some things cleared off my desk and onto someone elses. :devil:

We are hoping for another quadruple verified paceset!!!!!!!! :wiggle

3 more of those and Ridge will be top ranked in the Nation!!!!! :rock

GO RIDGE GO!!!!!!

Jeff's post was more directed to BC's setup, I'm sure. Sprint courses (an 18 second course, as opposed to a turny 30 second course) have a way of giving really strange results. If a pacesetter messes up on one gate, then HC's will be incredibly low. Or if he hits it perfectly, then improving your own handicap is impossible. Not only is BC a sprint course, but it's a straight sprint. So even my 4-year-old was able to knock 30 or so points off of her handicap, despite the pacesetter skiing fast that night.

BC's straight, short course bunches everyone's times together. It's not bad and it's not good; it's just the way the course is. Props for BC for having gates to run midweek. There are actually some NASTAR's that are 13 seconds...not a great measure of ski racing. On a 13 second course, most decent skiers will run a HC in the teens and 20's. That's just the nature of NASTAR's varied courses.

Also, any race course has a "terminal velocity" time. That's the time it takes to tuck the slope from start to finish without gates. Pacesetters are supposed to make this time a certain percentage compared to the gate-set course. At BC, every intermediate+ skier is very close to the "terminal velocity" time; even my 4-year-old. That's why times are bunched together. It doesn't matter how many pacesetters there are or how many runs they take, if terminal velocity is 16 seconds on a straight set course, then HC's are going to be miniscule.

Now, do bets go here in Racing or over in the Lounge?

Ski999...One must wonder...If BC is so easy, and 'the handicaps are going to be minuscule'...why did you have your worst handicaps of the season there :confused

Just something to think about.

What's your point, 'Dude? You can't compare one race course to another, or even one night to another. You really think I'd be only a second or so behind you at the Blue PARA Cup GS? I'd guess about 7 seconds per run. And it's not 7 times longer.

Go ahead and try to make the arguement that BC isn't a straight sprint course. You can't. Why did I f*ck up and ski it in 18.66 that night? Jeez, 'Dude, I don't know. I'm not as fast as you and that's not even my goal. I was there that night to have fun with Ty.

Down boy, down

I'm mearly saying that you said...."It doesn't matter how many pacesetters there are or how many runs they take, if terminal velocity is 16 seconds on a straight set course, then HC's are going to be miniscule."

And you had your worst handicaps of the season there...

Anyhow, I really don't care...have fun, ski fast, don't get your panties all bunched up over nastar...its just not worth it ;)

Edit: that uhh goes for you too Jeff :lol

Ok gotta go to history class :( I will deal with your reply later)

Edited by skidude

I'll preface this by saying this is a silly discussion. But look at the numbers for BC:

The night we raced, you had a 17.39 and I had an 18.66. The difference is 1.27 seconds. Last night, you had a 17.03. Add 1.27 and you can extrapolate that I'd have skied an 18.30, which would be a 12.20 HC.

That's what I meant about miniscule. And that's what I meant when I said that skiing a sprint course gives strange results sometimes.

Look at the other pacesetter last night. Todd Loepper has a certified 18 HC...last night, he had an 18.30 for a 12.20 HC.

NASTAR HQ once said that when a pacesetter runs a course 2% faster than his pace time, then there's a problem. You do the math on that one.

Do you think the race should be recalculated to an 18.30 pace time? I don't. It's a recreational race that people do for fun. It's ludicrous to consider going back and changing it. I think that doing a recalculation is part of NASTAR's pretending that there's really an accurate standard from ski area to ski area. I also think that everyone that wants to go to Nationals should be welcome, since it's all in fun, and results cannot be compared accurately.

Again, it's not about me or Ty...we qualified.