Weekend

bigdaddyk

I saw on Elk's site that they have some type of state race (championship?) going on this weekend.  Does this mean that it will be crowded?

most likely. Actually, Skidude will be running in that so you could go watch him :rock. But there will be alot of racers there which means alot of parents, so yea, it might be a good weekend to avoid elk.

Elk is a pretty dangerous place to be during the three Finals days...150 or J1/2 racers taking warm-up runs before each race run. And the lodge is nuts, too. Going to Elk this weekend is sort of like having a picnic in the same field as a travelling carnival.

Elk is a pretty dangerous place to be during the three Finals days...150 or J1/2 racers taking warm-up runs before each race run. And the lodge is nuts, too. Going to Elk this weekend is sort of like having a picnic in the same field as a travelling carnival.

Hmm, I thought I might be able to head up this weekend, cheer adam on, then get some riding in... Looks like thats not gonna happen, not worth what little money I have to swim through people. Well my I'll be there in spirit adam, just KILL KILL KILL!

Man, I don't mean to turn away anyone that had planned to root for 'Dude, but it really does get crazy. Elk is a hard place to watch a ski race, too. There are trees that line the race slope and the only access is to take your skis/board off and hike up from the finish area.

But we'll all be rootin' for the 'Dude, who is coming out of nowhere for some Top 20 finishes! Maybe a Top 10?

Man, I don't mean to turn away anyone that had planned to root for 'Dude, but it really does get crazy. Elk is a hard place to watch a ski race, too. There are trees that line the race slope and the only access is to take your skis/board off and hike up from the finish area.

But we'll all be rootin' for the 'Dude, who is coming out of nowhere for some Top 20 finishes! Maybe a Top 10?

Well, it wasn't just the crowds. Any lift ticket for me right now is financially not a great idea. I figured I could justify it by how great elk is supposed to be as a mountain, and at the same time cheer for adam. I didn't expect the crowds to be that bad, and there are some other factors I don't really want to get into right now. If my funds were unlimited I would be there no doubt, but I'm a poor college kid, so like I said I will be there in spirit.

Actually, I found that going down the trail that runs along it to the left brought you to a good spot to hike thru the trees. I think it was about 2/3 of the way down.

The lodge was always nuts, but it didn't really impact the lifts over by the other section of the hill.

Yes that trail is pretty wide.... The second GS they set today...damn you got moving on that...By the end you were going about mach 3....I think they had 2 rows of fencing in a few places.

On a side note they set a guys/girls SL course on saturday, which required more gates than Elk had...So CB brought all our screw in gates, and all our fencing over...were so nice to people ;)