2/28...Redcoats in hot pursuit!

AtomicSkier

Well after yesterdays .5" of rain, I woke up to a temperture in Bethlehem of 27 degrees. I thought the rain would've turned to fresh poe overnight and dumped up to 2' on Blue, but alas, but I arrived, it was shinier then a freakin dance floor. I got to Blue extra early because I was selling my 183cm GS:12s to Terry, a Blue regular. Doug arrived extra late due to a 4 minute later departure, and an extra 4 minute travel time due to slow drivers.

First run down Razors was like a foot massage...my whole body was still vibrating at the bottom from the frozen groomer tracks. It was not very good this morning, with everything rock solid. We mixed it up between Razors, Dreamweaver, Paradise, Lazy Mile, Switchback, and one run on Main Street. We even got to ski a steezy speed run down Swtichback with Concussion Ted. Doug and I were rolling with Terry and his buddies today. The sun was starting to come out, and the frozen cord was starting to smooth out and conditions were improving. On our 17th run, we decided to take a run down Paradise. The 4 of us flew down, and it was GREAT. Best snow of the day...very carvable, smooth, and fast. At the bottom, we decided we had to do that again.

We get to the top of Paradise on our 18th run, and a patroller jokes with us "Watch out...speed enforced by aircraft!". So we skied normally down the top section, made the sharp left, and then the gentle right, and then it happened. On the left side I saw a patroller eyeing up Doug, who was in front of me. He then turned his head and saw me. I saw him start skiing out of the corner of my eye, and I knew it was on. I skiied normally until the sharp left turn, and then as soon as I was out of his sight, I got into a bullet tuck, hopefully catching him off guard and putting some space between us. Doug and I weaved hardcore through the thick traffic at the bottom to evade this patroller. I was about 200 feet behind Doug, and I knew he knew we were being chased. We took lower paradise (still in a bullet tuck) to the quad, which had maybe a 1 chair wait. We flew into the corral, snuck past a snowboarder, and right onto the lift. It felt like 5 minutes, but it was really about 5 seconds for that chair to swing around, and we were off :) Just as we cleared the terminal, I looked back and saw about 5 patrollers coming from every direction, and once we cleared the trees, I could see some checking the 6pack line as well.

We agreed that if confronted at the top, we would say "we just got here". Remember...the customer is always right. Much to our displeasure, there was no patrollers at the top, so we skiied a steezy speed run down Razors, kicked off our skis as fast as possible, and on our way out, a regular said to us "you guys were asking for it there, they were whistling like crazy". Well, they didn't get us, so it was off to the Blue Mtn drive inn where we both had omlets, and Doug bought me two boxes of girl scout cookies :) It was a legit day, despite rock solid conditions.

Smokey and the Bandit 5: Bandit Goes To Blue

Hans the Woodsman: Gimme a diablo sammich and a Dr Pepper and make it fast! I'm in a goddamn hurry!

Ha ha, that is pretty good.

You guys are having fun with the Patrol now. I keep imagining the scene from Aspen Extreme where T.J. Burke is skiing away from the Patrol out of bounds. You guys need some reversible jackets to switch up your identities on the lift.

I was real worried about what today would bring. After reading your posts from yesterday I had no hopes that it would be any good at all. I tried scoping the site this morning at dawn to see if there were any condition updates but alas there were none. I left some gear at home which required a restart of the trip and a half hour delay.

I finally hit the slopes at 8:30 and the place was pretty empty. It stayed that way until 11:00. Well, if you don't have tuned skis, today was not the day for you. It was pretty icy but it was fast and fun in my opinion. My GS skis were holding well today. I tried to follow the Sun this morning so I stayed to Main Street and Chute early and worked my way over as the Sun got higher.

Nobody was on Challenge today, well, because you could see your reflection on it. I tried it twice. There was a secret cord stash below the Challenge headwall. It was still there after 10:00 because nobody was braving the top part. I saw some guys taking the Razor's headwall and then jumping into Challenge to get to the chord.

Best run of the day was Main Street. My skis took a beating today and need a tune up. The snow sucked, besides the ice there was debris and spots everywhere. The Sun was shining all morning. Cool, not cold. Today was actually awesome in my book. Only hunger and the crowds kept me from staying longer.

The Sun of this morning is already gone and the clouds are moving in. Tomorrow's storm could prove dawn patrol challenging.

I've read several posts here recently about blue mt patrollers and I thought you guys were crazy. I am not a blue mt regular, but the patrollers today were out in full force. I was told to slow down at least 6 times over 16 runs. I have never experienced this type of behavior at any mountain I've ever visited. Has something recently happened at blue that I am unaware of? (accident, lawsuit, etc) Oh well, I really enjoy the mountain but the patrol should be more concerned about the non-experienced skier-riders who attack the mountain with total disregard.

With all that said....I will be there tomorrow AM :lol:

NazarethSkier, want to meet up with some PASR for some runs???

I will be around tomorrow. What time do you guys meet?

Steeze,

Not sure if you heard the bad news about Sesame street:

The station, which broadcasts 'Sesame Street' and other shows, is one of 100 line items 'zeroed out' of the 2009-10 budget pitched by Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-n..._would_mea.html

I was behind the Ski Police who was going after you guys. At first, he was hot, then he pulled back, but when he saw Jeff in that tuck after the last left, he tried his damnedest to catch up, but gave up at the Dreamweaver merge.

I took some pics with my new cam, I'll post up later.

I was behind the Ski Police who was going after you guys. At first, he was hot, then he pulled back, but when he saw Jeff in that tuck after the last left, he tried his damnedest to catch up, but gave up at the Dreamweaver merge.

I took some pics with my new cam, I'll post up later.

hahaha PERFECT! I love it!

First run down Razors was like a foot massage...my whole body was still vibrating at the bottom from the frozen groomer tracks. It was not very good this morning, with everything rock solid. We mixed it up between Razors, Dreamweaver, Paradise, Lazy Mile, Switchback, and one run on Main Street. We even got to ski a steezy speed run down Swtichback with Concussion Ted. Doug and I were rolling with Terry and his buddies today. The sun was starting to come out, and the frozen cord was starting to smooth out and conditions were improving. On our 17th run, we decided to take a run down Paradise. The 4 of us flew down, and it was GREAT. Best snow of the day...very carvable, smooth, and fast. At the bottom, we decided we had to do that again.

If your body was vibrating while skiing the frozen snow, it means you weren't carving deeply enough. I skiied Razors Edge all morning...it was fast and smooth. You just have to get up on your edges more...

If your body was vibrating while skiing the frozen snow, it means you weren't carving deeply enough. I skiied Razors Edge all morning...it was fast and smooth. You just have to get up on your edges more...

LOL you must've been skiing the back bowls. But Razors was bullet proof until about 10am. And thanks for the skiing advice! :ph34r:

hahahaha I wasnt their but atomic skier definitely knows how to get on edge i am gonna go ahead and guess you are wrong.

Doug I think I saw you on Razor. =P

I wow very suprised that it was that icy. I saw many people fall down razor and just kept on going down, unable to stop.

Challenge looked very icy and 1/3 of monguls that was left, didn't attempt.

Come-around park looked it was most damaged. Jumps were like 1/2 the size.

My youth group arived around 9ish. I forget.

I saw some little bits of the competition.

I saw lots of huge air.

The lift lines were short. No more than a 4 minute wait. I guess because the terrible conditions.

Lots of whistling on Burma.

good job of running away from the redcoats =P

Edited by lilpeterr

Date(s) Skied: 2-28-2009

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain Ski Area

Conditions: Frozen Solid Hardpack

Trip Report: I arrived at Blue a little after 8am and was on the snow before 8:30. First run was down Razor's Edge. Solid cord, which vibrated my legs nicely to loosen me up a bit. Lazy mile was next, major death cookies. I ran into GSS and AtomicSkier on my 3rd run and skied with them until around 10:30. We tempted fate with a high-speed run down Paradise, which was a lot of fun, probabily the softest snow on the mountain at time. Next run, we didn't fare as well, and GSS and AS got chased down by the Ski Police, but didn't get caught. I took some time today to take some pics with my new Canon 790IS. I'm very happy with it. I stayed until around 1 and did a total of 23 runs & 25940 vertical feet. My knee wasn't bothering me at all while I was on the mountain today, but I've noticed I'm holding back, as if I expect it to. It's a little sore now, but no where near as bad as a few weeks ago....Ok time for some pics

Looking down a frozen Razor's Edge

IMG_0063.jpg

Frozen cord

IMG_0066.jpg

Looking up Razor's Edge

IMG_0071.jpg

Lower Razor's

IMG_0070.jpg

Sidewinder Park

IMG_0074.jpg

Razor's from the lift

IMG_0091.jpg